Scooter locks, immobilizers etc

Is there much of a difference with the new XH-15’s? Mine has a stack of them small watch batteries in it… I’m assuming I have the new one.

Lots of good, informative posts here; I’ve given them their own thread as they’re relevant to all scooters/motorbikes, not just Cygnuses.

Good idea – Thx Joesax!

What if you used not one but two disc locks on the bike’s disk? One right up against the fork, the other right up against the brake cylinder (I think that’s what it’s called?). That would render the wheel immovable, forward or backward, and you wouldn’t be able to turn it at all to be able to actually get at all of the disk’s bolts - so it would be impossible to remove the disk. Right?

The problem with those motion sensing alarms is that if someone accidentally bumps your bike in the middle of the night it wakes up the entire neighborhod.

Are there no other alternatives that only will go off if the wheels move or something?

People do move bikes/scooters here pretty often for fairly legitimate reasons, so as to fit a few more into the parking space. Done it myself.

If you’re parking in a high density spot you’d praps have to make a judgement as to whether you should arm the sonic cannons.

[quote=“Ducked”]People do move bikes/scooters here pretty often for fairly legitimate reasons, so as to fit a few more into the parking space. Done it myself.

If you’re parking in a high density spot you’d praps have to make a judgement as to whether you should arm the sonic cannons.[/quote]

I’d say if you’re going to be parking somewhere where bikes get moved a lot. Then you should buy a pink crashed up 50cc piece of crap…like me. If I come back to find it tipped over it doesn’t bother me.

I once payed good money to park in one of those emptied out house places near the train station. When I came back the bike was scratched. I pointed it out and she said that it was “impossible”. I asked her if she meant that it was impossible for bikes in her care to get scratched…she replied “Yes, impossible.” . I then kicked the nearest scooter which banged into the scooter beside it (asshole move, yes I know) and said to her “Wow…I just performed the impossible! Look a scratch, how can this be?!?” .

That was a while ago…and it was a jerk thing to do…but in my defense the scooters I picked on already had quite a few scratches so I’m sure the owners woudln’t care much. Unlike mine which had a new (expensive) paint job.

Uhh, I’m going to quit now while I’m behind… :whistle:

[quote=“trapjaw”][quote=“plasmatron”]

your mechanic is either naive enough to not know how thieves would remove a disc lock or else smart enough to know but not tell you… all you have to do is remove the mounting bolts for the disc and let the disc with disc lock still attached just hang off the axle, if you want to do a pro job anbd make sure it doesn’t get caught in anything during the get away, just duct tape it to the fork for the ride home… I’ve seen it done on a big bike when idiot customer X left his bike at the shop for servicing with the disc lock on, 6 bolts later it was easily wheeled around the shop…

[/quote]

What if you used not one but two disc locks on the bike’s disk? One right up against the fork, the other right up against the brake cylinder (I think that’s what it’s called?). That would render the wheel immovable, forward or backward, and you wouldn’t be able to turn it at all to be able to actually get at all of the disk’s bolts - so it would be impossible to remove the disk. Right?[/quote]

Uumm, so, does anyone think this would work?

[quote=“Ducked”]People do move bikes/scooters here pretty often for fairly legitimate reasons, so as to fit a few more into the parking space. Done it myself.

If you’re parking in a high density spot you’d praps have to make a judgement as to whether you should arm the sonic cannons.[/quote]

Agreed and understood. But my scoot is still brand spankin new and I’m trying to enjoy it while the newness lasts… I’m still in paranoid-mode :laughing:… paid a pretty penny for the thing and plan to spend a bit more to make the thing do wheelies hehe, but that

That’s the theory, yes… technically if you lined up the wheel just so with one lock up against the fork and the other up against the brake caliper, there should be at least one inaccessible bolt… still doesn’t stop them from pulling up in a blue truck with a hydraulic lift, ruffling some paperwork around to look semi official and then loading up your bike/scoot in broad daylight, locks and all… I’ve heard of bikes being nabbed on mass in Taichung using this ruse…

putting on a second disc lock is adding another step in the “more hassle than the next bike” process which is ultimately all you can aim for with bike security… the most effective anti theft system is one that makes the other bikes around yours look far more attractive to a would be thief…

the highest peace of mind you can go for is something similar to what I have in the “bat cave” at home for my GS… rock solid hardened steel floor anchor, dead bolted into the ground, ultra tough 12mm heat treated, pick/cut/freeze resistant chain run through major frame/engine strut… and a disc lock, steering lock, key chip immobilizer and 3 thick concrete walls and 3 steel doors… :s excessive some might say, but the bike cost a lot of money, it’s a huge theft target and insurance is mind bendingly expensive, so a little paranoia goes a long way…

[quote=“plasmatron”]

the highest peace of mind you can go for is something similar to what I have in the “bat cave” at home for my GS… rock solid hardened steel floor anchor, dead bolted into the ground, ultra tough 12mm heat treated, pick/cut/freeze resistant chain run through major frame/engine strut… and a disc lock, steering lock, key chip immobilizer and 3 thick concrete walls and 3 steel doors… :s excessive some might say, but the bike cost a lot of money, it’s a huge theft target and insurance is mind bendingly expensive, so a little paranoia goes a long way…[/quote]

Sounds like anyone would want to steal your bike would probably use less time and money by actually going out and actually buying their own bike. You’d need James Bond to break into your place!

Daaaaamn lol! Sounds a bit more like a bomb shelter than a bat cave to me… I like your style Plasmatron, but you forgot the motion sensors and lasers. :stuck_out_tongue:

-sober, well it’s early, so this is an honest
question, amid discourse of torque curves
and six digit purchases.
just came from the big hardware store
and had noticed an odd looking u-lock.
picked it up and it weighs more than my
head the morning after a taiwanese wedding
and toasting “wine” for the couple with
the tippsy uncles.
there’s been a discussion regarding insurance,
but do you lads bother to put one of those
short time locking gizmos on or not?

Old Canuck, I moved your post into this thread, where there’s lots of good discussion of locks, immobilizers, etc.

My personal security measures are twofold. I always use a disc lock or u-lock, and I don’t take care of the external apperance of my scooters.

I use Xena locks on each disc + U lock.