Scooter Mods

turkey, you’re the man.

I wish you hadn’t mentioned NOS though. I really don’t think it’s a good idea for bikes and even on a toughed-up engine I think it would be really easy to do some damage. NOS is not for me.

What I’m basically looking for is improved acceleration and a little more and the top end. I know these two things are difficult to achieve together but I’m not looking for massive improvements.

I should point out, I’m a city rider. I ride hard but I ride safe. I’m always 100% focused on the road and traffic. I don’t listen to a walkman or any shit like that. There are a few stretches between my place and work where I’m flat out but it’s nothing like twenty minutes. Actually, I don’t mind having traffics in between stretches; a bit of weaving focuses me and gives me a rush. Love picking those lines.

150km is pretty damn impressive man. My ride tops at 105 (although the weather has been good lately and I’ve got 110). I really hate it when the newer Cygnuses or whatever breeze by me with two guys on them.

Better tyres and disc brakes are also something I really want - I’ve only got the stock drums which are fine when they’ve got new shoes and been adjusted, but they lose their bite pretty quickly. That said, I’ve pulled up pretty quick in some slightly hairy situations lately and still managed to lock up the back wheel. I want to get a fat sticky tyre for the back. I’m really careful in the wet, problem is I don’t feel safe even at very low speeds, so something to improve handling would be great.

So next question… you got pictures of your ride??]

Cheers

kamiwaza

Hey dude, I don’t have any pictures of the buildup, as for the bike itself, UGLY! I’m afraid of it getting stolen or hasseled by the cops so I’ve purposely kept from spending any dough on cosmetics… anyone who knows what to look for can see the inner beautty though hehehe. I’m mostly proud of how I’ve melted and blackened the aluminum frame around the license plate that gets in the way of the exhaust tip.

:s Er, whatever you do to it, it’s still a scooter… If you really wanna fly (for cheap, I assume?), why not get hold of a RZR, slap on a performance pipe, get it tuned up… come on, you’ll outgun and outhandle any scooter. Or if money is no object, methinks a NSR250 (bog-stock) would blow the shizer out of any super-modded scoot. And don’t even get me started on a modded NSR… 2 stroke heaven! But anyway, this is taiwan, if you ride like a maniac sooner or later you’re gonna end up in ER or a body bag, no matter how carefully you ride. There’s always gonna be that half blind old geezer on a bicycle who just randomly pulls out in front of you, or a betel nut chewing taxi driver who cuts you off without warning, street dog coming out of nowhere, etc etc. And if you’re flying along at 150kph on mighty-mouse’s superscoot or whatever, savour those final few seconds mate…

Why not get an RZR?? Because their about as reliable as a Spanish house maid. OK I understand you’ve missed the point but why bag on scooters… thank god for the instant notification. You’re right! Why modify a honda civic either, ya? It’s not about what bike goes faster, it’s about tuning bikes in the same class and havin it out (that is truly fun). And dude, NSRs with a pipe and tune-up are my lunch anyway. If you haven’t noticed, all the surpercross (which puts 2 and 4 strokes toe to toe on a dirt track with jumps) leaders are all on 4-strokes. 4-strokes have come a long way since your daddy went to sears to buy his lawnmower, bud. Round up some 2 stroke heaven and try one of the taiwanese scooter punks on a budget and get schooled. The truth is you’ve obviously never been up against, or ridden a moded scooter. So why the negativity? These guys just want to get to work and have fun. Have you ever tried to drink a tea or go shopping with an NSR? Most guys use them as second bikes. I have a husky and barely ride it because scooters are fun easy and in some cases fast as hell.

You said it, turkey. I really hate 2-strokes, they sound like shit. My scooter gives me lots of storage space, something I’d have to get a box for on a bike. And, although I miss having a manual transmission, I already have my scooter and I don’t want to get rid of it.

I’m looking for an edge over scooters. “If money is no object” I could go get a Ducati Monster or something. The thread is called Scooter Mods, not What Bike Do You Think I Should Replace My Scooter With? :raspberry:

kamiwaza

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Sorry dudes, I was just winding y’all up. (because of the “i want to be king of the road on two wheels” kinda undercurrent that I picked up in the previous posts) No offence intended!!! I’m no road racer, i ride a fucked old RZR, and really couldn’t give a shit if the scooter punks fly by me. I shattered my wrist on a VTR1000 at high speed last year, and it’s still pretty buggered, so my days of messing around on fast bikes are over for fear of another accident which could result in me never playing drums again (far more satisfying than biking, just a personal preference, again NO OFFENCE INTENDED!!!). Allright, allright, I will bow down before the mighty modded scooters. :notworthy:

And um, yes, i know 4 strokes have come laps and bounds and a YZ400 will trash any 2-stroke on a supercross track, but does that mean I’m not allowed to like 2 strokes? I just think they’re fun, i like the sound of a good exhaust wail, the smell of 2 stroke oil, the powerband, etc, and the NSR250 is just the coolest bike I’ve ridden- in my very humble, non-street racer, non bike expert, just want to have fun on a bike opinion. And no, I wouldn’t want a NSR in Taiwan either because of the practicality factor. OK? Once again, I’m terribly sorry to have incurred the wrath of the modded scooter gods! Have fun dudes, and really, no offence intended!!!

[quote=“trapjaw”]

And um, yes, I know 4 strokes have come laps and bounds and a YZ400 will trash any 2-stroke on a supercross track, but does that mean I’m not allowed to like 2 strokes? I just think they’re fun, I like the sound of a good exhaust wail, the smell of 2 stroke oil, the powerband, etc, and the NSR250 is just the coolest bike I’ve ridden- in my very humble, non-street racer, non bike expert, just want to have fun on a bike opinion. And no, I wouldn’t want a NSR in Taiwan either because of the practicality factor. OK? Once again, I’m terribly sorry to have incurred the wrath of the modded scooter gods! Have fun dudes, and really, no offence intended!!![/quote]

Get yourself a 150 NSR…it’s got the praticality of a RZR and the ‘best in it’s class’ speed of a 250 NSR…heck they even have the same top speeds (the two NSRs). I would know I’ve owned all three of the above stated bikes in the past.

Yeah I would but the cost and resale factor prevents me because I probably won’t be in Taiwan too much longer. Are you sure the 150 has the same top speed as the 250? Maybe a restricted 250, but a derestricted, tuned up NSR250 can hit a top speed of close to 240kph, or so I’ve heard. Oops, better not talk about it here in the scooter thread or the modded scooter gang are gonna give me a beating!

Hey. No hard feelings. Actually I love 2-strokes as well. I was hoping this thread would turn into something more like a bunch of people comparing different cam grinds and gear ratios and what not. It’s quite a shame there aren’t more people I can talk to about this stuff. It’s just me and the locals… Most honkeys are too busy fighting with their fat foreigner girlfriends about whether or not they can work a 50NT towel into their budget - as their lives pass them by…

Do yourselves a favor, go outside and buy something performance related for your bikes today, and have fun.

Amen bro. Ride hard, but ride safe!

[quote=“turkey_dinner”]Hey. No hard feelings. Actually I love 2-strokes as well. I was hoping this thread would turn into something more like a bunch of people comparing different cam grinds and gear ratios and what not. It’s quite a shame there aren’t more people I can talk to about this stuff. It’s just me and the locals… Most honkeys are too busy fighting with their fat foreigner girlfriends about whether or not they can work a 50NT towel into their budget - as their lives pass them by…

Do yourselves a favor, go outside and buy something performance related for your bikes today, and have fun.[/quote]

I’ve spent over 60,000 n.t. modding out my scooter…The next thing or the most important thing I want to buy now is
Carbon fiber rims for my 600cc bike…they’re going to run me a pretty penny.

I found that the biggest noticeable difference I got from my scooter…short of changing the engine. Was from putting on a high power spark plug wire. I have a road near my house that I pin it on…and when I pass a certain point I check my speed. After putting on the plug wire I was reaching about 10km/hr higher in that same 2 block distance…that’s a huge difference for 800n.t. . The wire is some no name product made in Germany…but they have a demonstration set up and it makes a much bigger spark than a more expensive NGK wire. I also rewired the display multiple times to make sure it wasn’t “rigged”.

I don’t remember anyone posting the Taffspeed website address, so I’ll do so now.
taffspeed.co.uk/

[quote=“joesax”]I don’t remember anyone posting the Taffspeed website address, so I’ll do so now.
taffspeed.co.uk/[/quote]

very cool Joe, thanks…

makes me want to go and buy a scooter and mod the hell out of it… then again my 6’3" frame doesn’t really suit a scooter too much… :s