Scooter slogans

[quote=“Spack”]Male: Stew

Hey! I resemble that remark! :imp:

Okay…I currently teach a “Nono” and a “Formosa”…I heard tell of a kid named “Hamburger” down in Hsin Chu town.

Back thar’ in Canada, I made the aquaintance of a very nice aboriginal gentleman who went by the moniker "Raymond Drunken Chief ".

My all-time favourite has to be the worst possible name for a big league pitcher…any ball fans out there remember Bob Walk?

And furthermore Spack, m’boy…Stew works so well as a prefix to so many fine nix…Stew-dent, Stew-pefy, and of course, my nom de plume…StewPendous…so please don’t be a Stew-pid Stew-ge, get in your Stew-debaker and get the Stew outta here… 8)

Wolf, I don’t disagree, Brand and Modem are stupid names! Modem was a student of mine and try as I might… he would not change his name. 8)

Now, further on the subject… I just thought of 3 more…

Wellington (after the city or the the food I will never know!)

Anwar ( I assume after Sadat)

Bazza

I am sure there are many many more!

Anwar is a common muslim name, nothing unusual about that.

Oh, I know another one: Dances with Wolves :smiley:

I don’t mind the ‘wierd’ names. I consider them ‘original’.
If I never meet another Tina or Jenny or Michael, I’ll live.

But one name did bother me: Cheezer (a 10-year-old girl).

A woman in my office is named Ulysses.

But my favourite of all was this queeny fellow named Fanny. My friend worked with him and never told him the implications involved in having such a name, especially for a ‘man’. He even set off to study in the US without ever realising this. Wonder what happened to poor little Fanny.

Rascal,

Agreed, Anwar is common muslim name, but the only one I have seen here!

K

A friend of mine told me that he met a fellow named Timer. After several meeting my friend got the courage up to ask Timer where he got such an ‘original’ name from. Timer replied that it was a common name from the old western films that he enjoyed watching.

“How’s it going, Ol’ Timer?”

Alien,
Muffin,
Rascal,
Kristyh_taiwan,
Toe Save,
liljohn,
Mokman,
Spack,
Mountainman,
… and of course BKH

I know a guy who teaches here who said one young girl called herself “Snatch”. When he suggested that she select a different name, she replied, “No, I like ‘Snatch’”.

Other names I have heard of, no doubt given by mischievious, humorous English teachers, include, for different groups of classmates, “John, Paul, George and Ringo” and “Kirk, Spock, Chekov, Scotty, Sulu, etc…”.

There is a girl in my office who calls herself “Flora”.

I have known several guys named “Peter Pan” and in Hong Kong, a girl named “Kitty” Kat.

Gulp. . .You don’t think the locals laugh at our Chinese names, do you? :shock:

Oh I would certainly hope so!

Maybe when the flood of entries slows down we can have a vote for the funniest names eh?

Great point.

My Chinese name has foreigner written all over it. Thank God noone laughs, when they read it, but they always read it aloud slowly, look at me and then read it again… :cry:

Very funny, BKH, but I think we are talking about given names, not nick names used on the net. :unamused: :?

@kristyh_taiwan, even though Anwar is a rather uncommon name for a Taiwanese (unless he practises muslim faith) I think it’s not that unusual as most of the others mentioned, at least it’s a somewhat proper name instead of being labelled like a computer accessory (Modem), food, other items or even offensive words.

That said even Westernes sometime manage to insult their children with some weird “names” which perhaps might haunt the person for his/her entire life …

[quote=“Rascal”]Very funny, BKH, but I think we are talking about given names, not nick names used on the net. :unamused: :?

Given names ??? Given names???

English names for Taiwanese/Chinese
ARE
nicknames - usually used when dealing with foreigners… or the net…etc, etc, etc

[quote=“BKH”][quote=“Rascal”]Very funny, BKH, but I think we are talking about given names, not nick names used on the net. :unamused: :?

Given names ??? Given names???

English names for Taiwanese/Chinese
ARE
nicknames - usually used when dealing with foreigners… or the net…etc, etc, etc[/quote][/quote]
BKH, how wrong can you be, i’ve met alot of locals who,s given name is an english name not an adopted one and use the chinese translation of it on their ID card.

Male - Spray (job related)
Male - Motor (owned a motor company)
Male - Kinder (owned a kindergarten)

I barely covered my laughter when I met these guys.
Hi to Spack.

Female - Oscar (some confusion there)
Female - Apple
Female - Cake
Male - Zeus
Male - Apollo
Female - Sorry ( I know “what’s your name?” “Sorry” “I said, what’s your name?”
Female - Gill
Female - Viola ( is that a name or an instrument)
Female - Fanny ( where I come from that’s a bad one)
Male - Rabbit
Male - Stitch (from the cartoon movie)

The list just goes on and when I have more time I will complete it, I just need some time to think

English names for Taiwanese/Chinese ARE nicknames - usually used when dealing with foreigners…

Probably can’t deny the fact that some are nicks but surely not all, and when it’s printed on a business card I would assume it’s not a nick anymore - but perhaps not a ‘given name’ in the legal sense of the word either …

Well, perhaps I will now print my Chinese (Nick or whatever) name on the English side of the business card to confuse or amuse Westerners … :laughing:

Has anyone noticed that the weirder the name the more likely the person is to change their name every five minutes? It gets annoying when u have to remember your friends’ names all over again practically every time u meet them.

Million (female) used to be Vera and then Lara, and before that it was… :laughing:

(Hi back to Bassman :slight_smile:)

Fannie Ho
Peter Pan
Just two business cards I have, both from Shanghai