Scooter stalled ! Possible reasons..?

Was on my way to work this morning, pulled up at a set of lights and the bike just cut out / stalled on me ! Trying to restart it was a hassle as it wouldn’t kick in… but after 5 minutes managed to get it to sputter back to life so I could get the bike home ( seemed to be like it was idling too slow or something ? )

Any possible suggestions on what might have caused this ? … Sym scooter has never done this before and was ok yesterday… maybe fuel issues ( re-filled the tank yesterday ).

Ah well… had to go to the garage to get the tires replaced anyhow… anyone know the Chinese for ‘my bike stalled on me at a set of traffic lights’ ?

Replace the spark plug before you even try to do anything else. It only costs about 100n.t. and if it isn’t the problem…you’re bike will still run better (most likely) with a new one.

spark plug = Hwa (fire) - sheen - tzi

And you could always turn up the idle. I find the mechanics set it too low on most of the bikes.

It flooded.
New spark plug will help with that…
Throttle needs to be cleaned/checked.

Mine doesn’t cut out, but when it get’s hot, usually after a 20 minute drive, and I’ve stopped at lights, it vibrates quite violently. Enough to make me switch off if I’m waiting for a while.

I asked the mechanic to change the plug, he looked at me as if I was :loco: and the jerking didn’t stop. Any ideas?

Cheers

L :loco:

[quote=“scott02”]

Ah well… had to go to the garage to get the tires replaced anyhow… anyone know the Chinese for ‘my bike stalled on me at a set of traffic lights’ ?[/quote]

等紅綠燈時, 突然熄火 = deng2 hong3 lu4 deng1 shi3, tu2 ran3 xi1 huo3

[quote=“Limey”]Mine doesn’t cut out, but when it get’s hot, usually after a 20 minute drive, and I’ve stopped at lights, it vibrates quite violently. Enough to make me switch off if I’m waiting for a while.

I asked the mechanic to change the plug, he looked at me as if I was :loco: and the jerking didn’t stop. Any ideas?

Cheers

L :loco:[/quote]

Your scoot is getting too hot. Might need a new exhaust pipe. Make sure all coolants are topped up. Also, adjust the idle. If it happens to be a liquid cooled scooter as opposed to an air-cooled one, could be expensive problem…going fast on the highway…especially a cool highway…is good for your machine. Maybe it will blow some of the gunk out of the engine.

[quote=“Kick-Stand”]It flooded.
New spark plug will help with that…
Throttle needs to be cleaned/checked.[/quote]

Well, like I said spark plug is the FIRST thing to do. It could need more…like cleaning the carb, but wait and see. I’ve had a few spark plugs go on me. It won’t kick over well with a bad plug and it will even shut the bike off on you.

Cheers Kick stand,

This might sound really stupid. But I have no idea how to check the coolants. Where is a good place to look? Or is it a mechanic job? I guess it’s just water right?

I noticed the exhaust is pretty rusty. Any idea what I’m looking at for a new exhuast on a 90cc bike.

Any idea how I ask the mechanic in Chinese?

Thanks,

L :smiley:

Don’t forget to clean the air filter. Commonly overlooked. It is as cheap as a new spark plug, and will help the engine breathe new life.

It probably IS the air filter. I bet you any money all you need is a new air filter!

Cheers, I’ll look into it. No more thread hijacking

L :smiley:

Well after work tried to start the scooter to take it to the shop to get it looked at - wouldn’t start at all… ended up pushing it ( not much fun in this heat ! )

Guys at the garage tried it - no luck… took out the spark plug and judged it ok ( didn’t change it ) and replaced it with still no success ( hmmmm ).

Checked fuses ( although surely if the starter was turning the fuses would have been ok ? ) … took off half the side panelling and took out some ‘black box’ ( engine control module ? ) - mechanic got a new one and swapped them over, and finally the bike started. Switched over the old ‘black box’ and no luck starting so put back new one… called the black box a ‘c.b.i.’ or ‘c.d.i.’ or some such similar name ?

Well, that ‘little black box’ freaking cost me NT$1000 ! Time for me to find a new garage I think… specially as on the way to work today ( uphill ) scooter is dragging ( seems like having problems changing gears )… acceleration is slower than used to be, plus at higher speeds seems to be struggling… back to previous suggestion about changing ( replacing ) spark plug ?

[quote=“scott02”]Well after work tried to start the scooter to take it to the shop to get it looked at - wouldn’t start at all… ended up pushing it ( not much fun in this heat ! )

Guys at the garage tried it - no luck… took out the spark plug and judged it ok ( didn’t change it ) and replaced it with still no success ( hmmmm ).

Checked fuses ( although surely if the starter was turning the fuses would have been ok ? ) … took off half the side panelling and took out some ‘black box’ ( engine control module ? ) - mechanic got a new one and swapped them over, and finally the bike started. Switched over the old ‘black box’ and no luck starting so put back new one… called the black box a ‘c.b.i.’ or ‘c.d.i.’ or some such similar name ?

Well, that ‘little black box’ freaking cost me NT$1000 ! Time for me to find a new garage I think… specially as on the way to work today ( uphill ) scooter is dragging ( seems like having problems changing gears )… acceleration is slower than used to be, plus at higher speeds seems to be struggling… back to previous suggestion about changing ( replacing ) spark plug ?[/quote]

1000 is a fair price for a C.D.I. so they weren’t ripping you off. When my bikes are running rough I often just get the to switch the plug regardless…it’s only 100n.t. or less. If the bike only started with the new CDI installed then it doesn’t sound like they were trying to screw you…but I don’t know why a new CDI would give only a partial improvement like that…I’m still guessing plug. Maybe Hsiadog will chime in with some expertise.

I’d agree with Mordeth. $1000NT for a new CDI is reasonable, especially if that included their trouble shooting also.

I’d give it a few days before taking it back. Sometimes after repair work like that, it is easy to think there is a problem based on your accessment because you are concentrating more on the bike’s performance rather than what you would normally be doing i.e. getting to when you want to go.
If you still think there are issues, then take it back. Perhaps previous ignition hassles at low RPMs were attempted to be fixed by tweaking the fuel/air mixture, which may be out now that the CDI is running OK.
Or it may be something else altogether.

Could OP mention what make/model the scooter is please? Diagnosis process differs a bit between 2 and 4-stroke… :wink:

I am surprised no-one has mentioned Jeremy so far…

Thanks for all the input so far ( … learning a lot ! )

It’s a SYM scooter, 100cc … not sure of the exact model .

^^^ Well, IIRC 100cc models with both 2 and 4-stroke engines have been produced by Sanyang since they started using the SYM badge, so it would help if you could tell us the model, or whether or not the bike has a separate tank under the seat for 2-stroke oil, or if it makes lots of blue smoke when cold… something. :help:

… scooter’s a ‘X-Pro 100’… no oil reserve under the seat… must be a 4-stroke ?

Uh, call me unlucky I’ve had a few of those little black boxes die on me.

It appears to be a fuse or, something like that. (Electronics aren’t my best strength.) Anyhow, if that goes, it kills all spark.

An easy way to diagnose, is remove plug with lead attached. Earth it somewhere on the bike and start it.

If all is well, a beautiful arc should zap. No arc, electric hassles.

[quote=“Beercan”]Uh, call me unlucky I’ve had a few of those little black boxes die on me.

It appears to be a fuse or, something like that. (Electronics aren’t my best strength.) Anyhow, if that goes, it kills all spark.

An easy way to diagnose, is remove plug with lead attached. Earth it somewhere on the bike and start it.

If all is well, a beautiful arc should zap. No arc, electric hassles.[/quote]

I just use my tongue and go by the feel of the strength of the zap.