Score another one for the religion of peace

[quote=“cfimages”][quote=“Got To Be Kidding”]
We need to help Muslim reformers by calling Muslim terrorism what it really is.[/quote]

And what it is is the criminal actions of a very, very small minority of folks (1% or so) and is not endorsed by the vast majority (99%) who desire to live in peace.[/quote]
And they should then, given your conclusion, be able to reign in and contain the murderous violence of that “1%” or so of their group.
But that isn’t happening. Instead they support, both financially and politically, the actions of this “very, very small minority” of murderous terrorists responsible for the majority of the outrages visited upon the people f the planet who are in their eyes ‘infidels.’

Go figure… :loco:

By that reasoning TC, there should be no violent thugs anywhere.

That Islam is inherently malevolent? The obvious answer is yes. Certainly, the Koran has teachings that are just as abhorrent as those of the Old Testament, but which haven’t been (theoretically) ameliorated by a newer testament.

But religion is a cultural expression first and foremost. Otherwise, why haven’t all Christian civilizations and peoples been pacifist? The violence perpetrated by Muslims today has its cohort in the brutality of the crusaders and the rape and pillage of the Americas, among many thousands of other examples of Christian cruelty and murder through the ages. Remember, “Gott mit uns.” Christians slaughtered tens of millions during the two world wars. And all terrorist actions must be measured against the two worst of all time: the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Right wing Americans bray endlessly that “average” Muslims must denounce any and every terrorist action committed by Muslims everywhere. How many “average” Americans, far from being apologetic about it, claim that the nuclear terror unleashed upon Japan was “necessary” to “save lives”?

The hypocrisy is staggering: war should always be fought “fairly,” except if it’s being waged by us. And it shouldn’t have to be said, but pointing out the hypocrisy is not the same as “excusing” terrorism.

[quote=“Israel Outlook”]Jews Need to be Exterminated

Dec 28th, 2011 by John Little[/quote]
Erm…I just had a look around at that site you linked to, and saw an article entitled “Obama - The Anti-Israel President,” fawning references to Glenn Beck, and this: “But, like I said before. Your love for Israel – and your love for others – will do more for you in God’s eyes than any amount of ‘correct theology’. God accepts you as His, and I do too.”

You know, it doesn’t help an argument if you cite people who are batshit crazy.[/quote]

ohh, so I can pack a scooter with semtex, park it outside the nearest 7/11, blow the place up, and blame it on;

1-USA bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
2-The crusades.
3-The rape and pillage of the Americas.

So as long as the 7/11 death toll is less than those killed in the above example its cool.

That clerk gave me a dirty look the other day. I’ll show the fuc8er!!!

Just be sure to pay for your chips (crisps for the Limeys) before you exit the store…:smiley:

[quote=“bigduke6”]ohh, so I can pack a scooter with semtex, park it outside the nearest 7/11, blow the place up, and blame it on;

2-The crusades.

[/quote]
Is it non-sequitur day today?

[quote=“rousseau”][quote=“bigduke6”]ohh, so I can pack a scooter with semtex, park it outside the nearest 7/11, blow the place up, and blame it on;

2-The crusades.

[/quote]
Is it non-sequitur day today?[/quote]

Aliquam quis ligula non purus est. Quia oportet quod intellectus superioris.

That Islam is inherently malevolent? The obvious answer is yes. Certainly, the Koran has teachings that are just as abhorrent as those of the Old Testament, but which haven’t been (theoretically) ameliorated by a newer testament.

But religion is a cultural expression first and foremost. Otherwise, why haven’t all Christian civilizations and peoples been pacifist? The violence perpetrated by Muslims today has its cohort in the brutality of the crusaders and the rape and pillage of the Americas, among many thousands of other examples of Christian cruelty and murder through the ages. Remember, “Gott mit uns.” Christians slaughtered tens of millions during the two world wars. And all terrorist actions must be measured against the two worst of all time: the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Right wing Americans bray endlessly that “average” Muslims must denounce any and every terrorist action committed by Muslims everywhere. How many “average” Americans, far from being apologetic about it, claim that the nuclear terror unleashed upon Japan was “necessary” to “save lives”?

The hypocrisy is staggering: war should always be fought “fairly,” except if it’s being waged by us. And it shouldn’t have to be said, but pointing out the hypocrisy is not the same as “excusing” terrorism.

[quote=“Israel Outlook”]Jews Need to be Exterminated

Dec 28th, 2011 by John Little[/quote]
Erm…I just had a look around at that site you linked to, and saw an article entitled “Obama - The Anti-Israel President,” fawning references to Glenn Beck, and this: “But, like I said before. Your love for Israel – and your love for others – will do more for you in God’s eyes than any amount of ‘correct theology’. God accepts you as His, and I do too.”

You know, it doesn’t help an argument if you cite people who are batshit crazy.[/quote]

Fawning references to Glenn Beck?

You obviously didn’t look closely enough. Having said that, I tend to pay attention to people who have a good track record for predicting future events. The fact that the source is wildly unconventional doesn’t change its veracity. Glenn is no more ‘batshit crazy’ than anyone else.

Secondly, I’ve been talking about this stuff LONG before Glenn Beck even started at CNN. If that makes me ‘batshit crazy’, then ‘batshit crazy’ must be a good thing.

Furthermore, I make no apologies about my faith. My Lord and my God came and died for me. If that makes you uncomfortable… then maybe you should ask yourself why.

Now, instead of engaging in attacks on people’s character, how about we speak about the issues?

Attacks against Israeli civlians are broadly supported by Palestinians. Suicide bombers are given posthumous parties and their families sent congratulary money by wealthy Arabs from surrounding nations. On the other hand, polls among Arab and non-Arab Muslims show declining support for Al Qaeda, which was originally seen as David to America’s Goliath, but is now seen a disruptive force.

I think that popular support for terrorism depends primarily on political, not religious, factors. Palestinian territory is occupied by Israel, so it’s little wonder that most Palestinians support terrorism against Israeli troops and civlians. But I seriously doubt those same Palestians would support Al Qaeda blowing up a Shi’a mosque in Iraq or Christian church in Syria, and Arab region-wide polls agree with that. That fact negates the idea that Muslims always support attacks against non-Muslims because the Quran says it’s OK.

You provided a highly biased source, and that diminishes your credibility, not your character, per se.

You provided a highly biased source, and that diminishes your credibility, not your character, per se.[/quote]

No, I was quoting myself. The source was the Daily Mail, and THEIR source was the Institute for Gulf Affairs.

However biased THOSE sources may be, the facts stand for themselves.

It is standard procedure for apologists when defending the indefensible to attack the messenger, when they have nothing to say regarding the message.

The central issue that we are trying to deal with here lies in the nature of Islam, and in those who follow it - more specifically, those who take up arms in the name of Islam.

In our response to this issue, we are constrained by our own values.

How do we handle this situation?

Um, we don’t “target” civilians. We target enemies, who unfortunately are near civilians. Just thought I’d clarify.[/quote]

The US miiltary has targeted civilians in both Iraq and Afghanistan. And have we already forgotten Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

[quote=“bigduke6”]I do not believe this is US policy. Regardless of my opinion of the US in Iraq, they do not have a policy of targeting civilians.

Yes, there are incidents when soldiers murder civilians, and should be punished to the full extent of the law. I believe in many cases they have.

There is also collateral damage, which mostly occurs when fighters are hiding in the civilian population deliberately. Hamas is a prime example. Here the hope is civilians will get killed for PR purposes. Such deaths should be attributable to those hiding within the civilian population.[/quote]
In Iraq and Afghanistan, it hasn’t simply been a matter of collateral damage. It has been a matter of targeting civilians. This may not be official US military policy for the nation’s armed forces, but it has been permitted in the occupations of both Afghanistan and Iraq.

A post such as this, IMO, meets the established criterion for “troll”…[/quote]
Please tell me all about Hiroshima and Nagasaki for a start. Then we can start on Korea and Vietnam. Eventually we’ll get to Iraq and Afghanistan.

There are three problems with this. The first is that these bombs didn’t actually save any lives. Not only did they wipe out at least 150,000 lives, but they were not undertaken to save any lives at all. No US soldiers were spared death as a result of these bombs.

Secondly, there was absolutely no reason for the US to set another foot on any Japanese soil whatsoever. The nation was utterly crippled, US firebombing runs were ravaging it weekly without fear of any retaliation, there was no navy, no airforce, and the US navy was in complete control of the coastal waters. It was completely unecessary for the US to send another soldier to any Japanese territory.

Thirdly, the Japanese were already desparately trying to surrender, and this was known to the US military command. The decision to bomb Hiroshima and Nagsaki had a lot more to do with warning the Russians about US nuclear power, than it had to do with anything else.

No, they should have followed the advice of the intelligent US officers who were insisting there was no reason to send any more US soldiers to Japanese territory; there was absolutely no point, and nothing to gain. The navy made it clear that they could blockade the entire nation completely, and the airforce were bombing Japan from one end to the other without any resistance whatsoever.

Compete nonsense. The Japanese were already trying to surrender, and the US was aware of it.

Hot air. No fact.
Check out the Potsdam Declaration. The Japanese were given am ultimatum to surrender. Did not take it. Also check the invasion plans for the Japanese home Islands and projections.

Welllll… not completely no fact.

Japan wanted a conditional surrender, and the US required an UNCONDITIONAL surrender.

America did NOT want a militarist Japan to survive to fight another day, which IMHO was a wise move.

Furthermore, it is my understanding that the Japanese knew of a US super weapon but were hoping that it wouldn’t work. After the first bombing, the Japanese were hoping that this was the only weapon in the US arsenal. When the US used the second one and hinted that they had an unlimited supply, the Japanese caved in.

Since we are in the Religion and Spirituality forum, and because we are discussing the issue of Islam, what is the moral/ethical answer to a group of people (in this case, militant Islam) declaring ‘total war’ on your society.

Is there a point that is ‘too far’ where it is better to surrender than to meet the issue head on?

To put it another way, when is it morally reprehensible to adequately defend yourself?

If you think that this is a hypothetical situation, remember that Israel, a sovereign Western-style democracy, deals with this question every day.

[quote=“bigduke6”]Hot air. No fact.
Check out the Potsdam Declaration. The Japanese were given am ultimatum to surrender. Did not take it.[/quote]

Ok, let’s ask Leahy (Chief of Staff to Roosevelt and Truman),[1] Eisenhower,[2] Hoover,[3] McArthur,[4] McCloy (Assistant to the Secretary of War),[5] Nitze,[6] Spaatz (in charge of air operations),[7] and Clarke.[8] Source (extensive primary source materials, in which these quotations can be found, here and here).

You were saying?

What about them? No one is arguing that they weren’t made, I’m simply pointing out they weren’t even necessary.

[1] Leah, ‘It is my opinion that the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender because of the effective sea blockade and the successful bombing with conventional weapons.’

[2] Eisenhower, ‘During his recitation of the relevant facts, I had been conscious of a feeling of depression and so I voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives. It was my belief that Japan was, at that very moment, seeking some way to surrender with a minimum loss of ‘face’.’

[3] Hoover, ‘I told MacArthur of my memorandum of mid-May 1945 to Truman, that peace could be had with Japan by which our major objectives would be accomplished. MacArthur said that was correct and that we would have avoided all of the losses, the Atomic bomb, and the entry of Russia into Manchuria.’

[4] Norman Cousins (consultant to MacArthur), ‘MacArthur’s views about the decision to drop the atomic bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were starkly different from what the general public supposed." He continues, "When I asked General MacArthur about the decision to drop the bomb, I was surprised to learn he had not even been consulted. What, I asked, would his advice have been? He replied that he saw no military justification for the dropping of the bomb. The war might have ended weeks earlier, he said, if the United States had agreed, as it later did anyway, to the retention of the institution of the emperor.’

[5] McCloy, ‘When the war was over I arrived at this conclusion after talking with a number of Japanese officials who had been closely associated with the decision of the then Japanese government, to reject the ultimatum, as it was presented. I believe we missed the opportunity of effecting a Japanese surrender, completely satisfactory to us, without the necessity of dropping the bombs.’

[6] Nitze, ‘While I was working on the new plan of air attack… {I} concluded that even without the atomic bomb, Japan was likely to surrender in a matter of months. My own view was that Japan would capitulate by November 1945.’, ‘Even without the attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, it seemed highly unlikely, given what we found to have been the mood of the Japanese government, that a US invasion of the islands would have been necessary.’

[7] Spaatz, ‘If we were to go ahead with the plans for a conventional invasion with ground and naval forces, I believe the Japanese thought that they could inflict very heavy casualties on us and possibly as a result get better surrender terms. On the other hand if they knew or were told that no invasion would take place [and] that bombing would continue until the surrender, why I think the surrender would have taken place just about the same time.’

[8] Clarke, ‘when we didn’t need to do it, and we knew we didn’t need to do it, and they knew that we knew we didn’t need to do it, we used them as an experiment for two atomic bombs.’

You could be right.

Unfortunately, we can’t be completely sure of the motivations of the decision-makers at the time. I seriously doubt that the Hiroshima and Nagasaki were ‘experiments’ on ‘live subjects’. I don’t think that the US had descended to that level of barbarity at this stage, but anything is possible.

However, the point remains, at what point is the cost of survival too high? Where do you draw the line at self-defense?

[quote=“Got To Be Kidding”]You could be right.

Unfortunately, we can’t be completely sure of the motivations of the decision-makers at the time.[/quote]

We can be sure that they were aware that the bombs were unnecessary for saving further American lives, or bringing Japan to surrender.

Dropping those bombs on civilian targets wasn’t barbaric enough?

Well Hiroshima and Nagasaki weren’t exactly a matter of self-defense, were they?

[quote=“Got To Be Kidding”]Welllll… not completely no fact.

Japan wanted a conditional surrender, and the US required an UNCONDITIONAL surrender.

America did NOT want a militarist Japan to survive to fight another day, which IMHO was a wise move.

Furthermore, it is my understanding that the Japanese knew of a US super weapon but were hoping that it wouldn’t work. After the first bombing, the Japanese were hoping that this was the only weapon in the US arsenal. When the US used the second one and hinted that they had an unlimited supply, the Japanese caved in.

Since we are in the Religion and Spirituality forum, and because we are discussing the issue of Islam, what is the moral/ethical answer to a group of people (in this case, militant Islam) declaring ‘total war’ on your society.

Is there a point that is ‘too far’ where it is better to surrender than to meet the issue head on?

To put it another way, when is it morally reprehensible to adequately defend yourself?

If you think that this is a hypothetical situation, remember that Israel, a sovereign Western-style democracy, deals with this question every day.[/quote]

Ok…a tiny little bit of fact. The Potsdam declaration did call for unconditional surrender, and complete and utter destruction if they did not. This “complete and utter destruction” is thought to be the threat of atomic weapons.

After the Japanese conduct in WW2 conditional surrender was out of the question. They did however, surrender under one condition, and that was regarding the Emperor.

The Japanese people were aware of the Potsdam declaration. The government just chose to ignore it.

Make no mistake. If it was not for the Nuclear bombs, Japan would have been invaded under Operation Downfall. Estimates of allied deaths ran into the millions. Japanese soldiers and civilian deaths were a much, much more higher.
Japan’s geography gave the defenders a huge advantage.

However, we are talking about Islamic terrorism here, so WW2 is slightly off topic.

So, are we to take a purely utilitarian approach to self-defense?

How far do we go when we are told that a group of people seeks our annihilation?

And then, how do we go about doing this?

Given their success over the past ten years I’d say we have no reason at all to treat the threat of islamic terrorism as anything worse than a bad flu season.

Given their success over the past ten years I’d say we have no reason at all to treat the threat of islamic terrorism as anything worse than a bad flu season.[/quote]
Seconded.