Scorpions

Not vinagerons. Real scorpions.

IMG_20190914_234119 IMG_20190914_234642 IMG_20190914_235416 IMG_20190914_235420

3 Likes

Nice pictures where was that taken ?

In Taiwan??

They are not really too poisonous, they have huge claws and small stinger sack.

Liocheles. That scorpion is found in Taiwan. However, definitely not a threat, unless you’re a small insect who likes to hide in cracks in rocks.

as BP says, they “have a small sac”.

poor bastards.

I was bitten by a scorpion once in Thailand. I thought it was game over until a local told me they get bitten on average about once a year…:joy:

2 Likes

They don’t bite, they sting:thinking:

In Thailand nothing is what it seems

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGfKi6kpdTQ

1 Like

Nice pics. I really like these little guys.

Urodacus. Do you know of any males found in taiwan? Everu one i have kept has proven female. Very fascinating breeding method, but often many partho higher organisms have at least the random man hanging around. Seen one before?

I had a male Liocheles australasiae in a collection in Sydney. quite obviously distinct from the female (longer pectines, longer tail, etc.). Holotype and many paratypes in Australia have both genders, but not common in the wild. male 6-7 pectinal teeth, female 4.

Parthenogenesis is an obvious efficiency in populations with wide dispersal and very small foraging range.

if there are none at all in Taiwan, i would be surprised. as you say, having the odd male hanging around for occasional sex would do a lot of good for the genetics of a population.

1 Like

I understand they are not very poisonous, but could these little critters potentially be used to settle some of the neighbour disputes we have seen on the forums here? Just putting it out there…

I’ve actually never seen a scorpion here. The biggest arachnids I ever see are those big-ass golden orb weavers. Maybe I just don’t head out to the wilderness enough.

for these scorpions, you really really have to look for them. they hide in rock crevices all day and night, almost never leaving their hole. They are not wandering hunters, like the little deadly fuckers in southern USA and Mexico (Centruroides species), and then all through central American rainforest. You are in serious danger walking anywhere in the forest at night, and even in your own house. A brief shine around with a UV lamp will illuminate a dozen within a meter or two in many rainforests in Costa Rica, for example.

No thank you no thank you no thank you

I’ve something that leaves the hole once or twice daily.

Including the women.

1 Like

Pictures or it isn’t true… and I want validation, like you holding up a cover of the Taipei Times or some other shit rag to prove it’s today.

1 Like

I guess someone with a scorpion avatar would be the expert on the matter.

@urodacus too busy surfing and enjoying the high life to look for Scorpions.
Some German music for you :banana: