Scratch Bali off my list of vacation destinations

daltongang,

Thanks for this. I am glad to know it wasn’t terror related.

I would imagine it was terror related for the four who got blown to pieces and those standing around them.

According to the preliminary report of the Bali bombing from the Indonesian Inteligence Agency, there is a possibility that the suspects left Bali immediately after placing the bomb on location, since the explosion took place at 22.30, while the last flight out of Bali was at 23.00. Sari Club only allowed foreign nationals with exception to those staff working in the club.

The agency has suggested 6 categories of individuals/organizations related to these bombings:

1. Separatist Movements
    There are 3 armed separatist movements in Indonesia: Free Aceh Movement, Free Papua Organization, and the South Moluccan Republic.

2. Anti Government Movements
    Those who are ousted or under pressure

3. Anti Australia Group
    e.g.: the Pro-Integration of East Timor to Indonesia

4. Fundamentalist
    Lasykar Jihad Ahlussunah Wal Jamaah under Ustadz
    Jafar Umar Thalib (instantly dissolved the next day after the explosion)

Defenders of Islam under Habib Ridzik Shihab

Jamaah Islamiyah under Ustadz Abu Bakar Ba’asyir. Indonesia has asked the United Nations to recognize this organization as one of the terrorist groups. Ba’asyir is a suspect now and will be arrested very soon.

1. International Terrorist Movements

Abu Sayaff from the Philippines
Al-Qaeda - Osama bin Laden
International Islamic Disgrace Movement

1. Opportunistic Groups

Those who would like to create unrest and try to oust President Megawati.

The Agency is now gathering datas of all incoming and outgoing guests 3 days before and after the explosion from hotels/flight/inland transport/cellular phone conversation datas, and other measures.

partytowns.com/html/prime_kuta.html

I see they have been busy narrowing down the suspects…

[quote]wolf_reinhold wrote:
Bali is now the safest place in the world for tourists.
The act has been committed and it’s over. No terrorist would plan to hit Bali again. The place will now be far too ‘hot’ to contemplate another strike.
The added effect is that it might thin out the crowds a bit for the next couple of months. [/quote]

Flipper replied:

I wasn’t thinking of picking through the wreckage, but it is sensitive people like you that will make Bali a quiet, peaceful place to visit for some time to come

It’s fair enough to allow a period of time to show respect but Bali is an island that is nearly totally dependant on tourism. Going there and injecting some of your hard-earned loot back into the economy might be the best thing that you could do for the place.

I didn’t see it but my wife claims the Chinese news had a Taiwan tv crew in Bali filming the exoduc of the white folks and sudden influx of occidentals. She said the scenes shot at the airport were hilarious - white folks literally running out while in the background be-hatted flag waving Taiwan tour leaders were rallying their hordes onto buses. They asked some Taiwanese and Japanese whether they were afraid of terrorists and they all replied that that was an issue for “westerners” not eastern folk like their good selves. They went on to marvel at the lower prices and lack of crowds.

I agree with Mark, good to spend some readies in Bali. Don’t know that I’d like to be congregating in a pub that didn’t allow locals though.

HG