Scroll Bars - Dump them

Should the Anti-Thread Stretching Scrollbars stay?

• Yes, I like them them (and they smell nice, too!)
  • Lose them – nice try, but they are more trouble than they are worth
  • I’m indifferent (I have NO idea what you’re talking about)

0 voters

I noticed the new hack that puts side scroll bars in individual messages. In theory the this feature may sound attractive but in practice it does more damage than good. I suggest you remove that feature because the scroll bars totally interrupt the flow of reading or scanning through the messages. It is just really ugly looking as well.

Edited to add:

After checking different browsers I found that the annoying scroll bars, which have suddenly appeared, show in Netscape Navigator 7.0 but not Internet Explorer. So whatever hack was installed over the weekend is doing some different things, according to what browsers people ure using. This is rather annoying.

Has anyone else noticed the scrollbars? If so, what browser are you using?

Safari is OK

The scrollbars are only supposed to appear when a post threatens to widen the width of the forum. We call this phenomenon “Threatening Thread Stretching”

Do you always see the annoying scroll bars? If you don’t, don’t you think that Thread Stretching is more annoying than the scroll bars that are meant to contain them? :wink:

I’ll wait for word from the top on whether to unhack that modification.
Sorry, mate, but the web site logs tell us that there aren’t that many non-MSIE users!

I’ll add a poll to this thread to help collect more feedback

Cheers

I don’t like them at all. I though there was something wrong with my computer… good to know this is something that can be eliminated…

[quote=“tech admin”]The scrollbars are only supposed to appear when a post threatens to widen the width of the forum. We call this phenomenon “Threatening Thread Stretching”

Do you always see the annoying scroll bars? If you don’t, don’t you think that Thread Stretching is more annoying than the scroll bars that are meant to contain them? [/quote]
I always see the side scroll bars.

I understand that a scroll bar appears at the bottom of the screen when a message gets too wide. But the new bothersome scroll bar appears on the side, within the area of the poster’s message ( just under the word Quote) and it seems to cut the length of some messages down to almost nothing, while others are a bit longer.

For example, in the message just above by Amos all I can see is:

[quote=“Amos”]Safari is OK

In this life, you don’t have to prove nothin’ to nobody but yourself., and after what you’ve gone through if you haven’t[/quote]
The last line of the quote is cut off and I need to scroll to read it.

Similarly, in tigerman’s post all I can read is:

However, in the mod’s post I can read two paragraphs before I need to scroll the message down to finish reading it.

I haven’t seen the scroll bars anywhere yet when using MS Internet Explorer. The problem only occurs with Navigator, which worked so well here until this last hack.

I’m using Netscape. The scroll bars are a pain.

Also, numerous replies are truncated, without any scroll bar to help me find the missing text.