🤿 Scuba Diving

I’m considering taking a course, probably PADI but if price were great would consider SSI or whatever. Back in the day these used to be around 10k, but I’ve asked around these days and the prices I got are higher, partly because the language.

Does anybody know of a decent course that is also cheap? trying to keep expenses under control these days.

2 Likes

Let me know if you figure this out.

I used to go here for diving before I started getting monthly ear infections. The owner and instructor both speak excellent English.

2 Likes

Thanks! I was aware of them. Still checking what other options are out there.

Those ear infections could be something different, just saying.

Where?

NE coast has Foreigner owned The Scubar
+886 970 707 313

Their website seems broken. What are their prices?

Someone told me last week that Scubar is gone now, if I’m remembering right.

I’ve been hearing Scubar was closed for years but everytime I go they are doing scuba business.

I think there’s both Scubar the restaurant and Scubar the scuba instruction.

The restaurant portion may be shut down or limited.

2 Likes

I ended up taking SSI Open Water, even if in the future I might switch to PADI. I got a good price, much below what some others charge (some add extra fees for teaching in English!), and it included accommodation. If anybody is really interested in doing it in Kending, please contact me by PM.

4 Likes

My mom and I will be going to Xiaoliuqiu to scuba soon. We are both licensed. Looking for an English speaking guide that does boat tours or beach entry. My mom is turning 70, and arthritic; climbing over rocks with a tank to enter the water is no good. Looking for someone patient. She’s a fish once in the water, but getting into the water has been challenging at places like Bitou or Hengchun. Anyone know someone who will fit the bill?

1 Like

We did this one before

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Murvq4MVUXhL82Sj9?g_st=ic

Pretty good over all. The guide is a bit too chill though lol. You probably have to remind him of your mom’s situation.

IIRC Xiao liuqiu is rocky everywhere though. I suggest a boat dive.

2 Likes

Most shore dives on XiaoLiuChiu will require you to walk about 50-100m from the drop off point (you get there in a small pick-up truck) to the beach, you can either carry your gear or put it on at the truck (most do this as it frees your hands.)
there aren’t a lot of boat trips on the island, so if carrying gear is a deal breaker you may need to communicate with the tour operator about a way to get your moms gear to the water

there are several locations on the island that don’t require climbing over rocks, but you will still have to walk down to the beach/cove

1 Like