Search Function - Drop down menus

When you go to the search function… there are drop down menus. One of these drop dowm menus is “Forum”

Could you ever put the choices in the “Forum” drop down menu in alphabetical order… it may be easier to find them alphabetically… as the size of the font in drop down menu is quite small and there are a lot of different choices

[quote=“TNT”]When you go to the search function… there are drop down menus. One of these drop dowm menus is “Forum”

Could you ever put the choices in the “Forum” drop down menu in alphabetical order… it may be easier to find them alphabetically… as the size of the font in drop down menu is quite small and there are a lot of different choices[/quote]
Check it now and let me know what you think
The list is still small, but maybe more readable than in a drop down

In a forum index page, the search link got moved further to the right. It used to be up there where the ICRT PETITION now sits. Now it’s still at the top of the page but over on the right side, under 24 7 30, next to a box in which you can enter text. If I type something in that text entry box, then I click find, nothing really happens. How am I supposed to use that?

Is it just me? I’m using Firefox and the box does nothing for me.

I’m using Firefox too and the search box, it does NOTHING!

EDIT: Just tried with IE too, and nada.

Thank you for the bug reports.

I have noticed that it seems to work only some of the time. I’ll try to have a look tonight.

In the meantime, you do know that you can click on the work “Search” and reach the full optioned search form, don’t you?

Out of curiosity, why can’t you order the list in the drop-down box, instead of putting a bunch of radio buttons underneath? If the list is created dynamically, all you need to do is add an “order by” clause to the SQL that builds it – if the field is named “forum_name”, then “order by forum_name” does the trick.

But it doesn’t look like it’s dynamic, because the forums aren’t ordered by their ID numbers either (Business (88) comes before Tech (7) which comes before IP (86) – no matter how you slice that, it’s not being ordered by the number).

Hmm. If the “Index” page is dynamic, maybe you’ve got some sort of other ordering parameter – if that’s the case, why not just change what it’s ordered by in the search list?

Or is it that you want to keep the Search list in the same order as the Index page list? If so, why? It makes very little sense, since I doubt that one person in a hundred here has memorized the order of the forums on the Index page, and you’ve changed it from time to time anyway.

Opportunity cost - I don’t value the time to figure out how the whole thing works. We need a real computer guy to help… not someone like me.

In any case, I liked the radio list idea anyway.

Gus: you put this link for the search function in a thread in the A&E forum. Can you sticky that/point it out prominently somewhere (for the others - I bookmarked it)?

bump, bump, bump

Gus, is there any way to do something about the search function? That funny little button up there is worth nothing, and it’s pretty frustrating for posters who are looking for something and don’t know about search function link.

Maybe you could at least position the link prominently???

Iris

I’ll try to put in the fix tonight (late) – but worst comes to worse, it will be fixed for certain next week after we start rebuilding the website in earnest

Hi Iris
The upper corner search box works now
I also added a new search link

Cool, thanks, Gus. Sorry, didn’t mean to bother you :blush:

Now, if only we could get people to actually use the Search function :s