Secretary Clinton? O makes an offer

O offers Hillary a possible Secretary of State position

All the pundits are saying that it looks good because of Clinton’s ability to build a coalition and her world-wide name recognition. I say O picked her because it’s the best way to get her out of the country. :laughing:

What do you think?

[quote=“Namahottie”]O offers Hillary a possible Secretary of State position

All the pundits are saying that it looks good because of Clinton’s ability to build a coalition and her world-wide name recognition. I say O picked her because it’s the best way to get her out of the country. :laughing:

What do you think?[/quote]

She can’t very well run against him four years from now if she’s working for him. “Keep your friends close, but your enemys closer.”

She’ll jump if he offers, IMO, because eight years from now, she’ll have an even stronger position to campaign from.

I don’t think Hillary has any realistic chance of being president anymore. Sec of State would be a nice gig for her and she will do well, working closely with Sec of Defense Kerry.

[quote=“housecat”]
She’ll jump if he offers, IMO, because eight years from now, she’ll have an even stronger position to campaign from.[/quote]

She won’t run again, unless O really screws it up. In 8 years, she’ll be 70 years old. I think we’ve already seen what kind of campaign that would be…

:astonished: Didn’t realize she was that old alredy. :astonished: In that case, you and Doc are right. Maybe the position is a part of the pay back package negotiated before Hill conceded the prims? Or maybe O knows that she has a heck of a lot of supporters who only voted for him because she told him to and he can get all those supporters in his camp if he gets Mrs. Clinton on his payroll?

I hope he picks her. She’s got valuable skills. If he doesn’t pick her he needs to make a good case for why anyone else could do a better job.
Simply put, she is too valuable not to be employed in some capacity.

Dick Morris thinks that would be a mistake given the ambitious nature of Hillary. She would take over foreign policy as though she were president. It’s happened before, with Secretary of State Blyrne and Truman. The Democrat top brass wanted Blyrne, not Truman; just like the top brass wanted Clinton, not Obama.
Warning: Secretary Clinton Would Be Intriguer

[quote]Byrnes, who thought he should have been president, proceeded to make his own foreign policy. He flew to a meeting in Europe with the allied foreign ministers and barely kept President Truman posted on the deliberations. He became a loose cannon who thought he was the president. After a year of this nonsense, Truman fired him and brought in George Marshall to take the job.

If Obama nominates Hillary, he will put himself in the same position as Truman was with Byrnes and the results will be just as predictable.

All of this illustrates the fundamental problem Obama faces within his party: He was not their top choice for the job. The Democratic Party’s top brass wanted Hillary, not Obama. When Obama began winning primaries and caucuses, they fell in line and refused to make a super-delegate goal line stand for Clinton, but that does not disguise the fact that most of them backed Clinton from the outset.[/quote]

Democrat elites aren’t happy that an African-American wrestled control from them. It’s historic all right: not for the nation necessarily, but for the Democrat Party.

[quote=“jotham”]Dick Morris thinks that would be a mistake given the ambitious nature of Hillary. She would take over foreign policy as though she were president. It’s happened before, with Secretary of State Blyrne and Truman. The Democrat top brass wanted Blyrne, not Truman; just like the top brass wanted Clinton, not Obama.
Warning: Secretary Clinton Would Be Intriguer

[quote]Byrnes, who thought he should have been president, proceeded to make his own foreign policy. He flew to a meeting in Europe with the allied foreign ministers and barely kept President Truman posted on the deliberations. He became a loose cannon who thought he was the president. After a year of this nonsense, Truman fired him and brought in George Marshall to take the job.

If Obama nominates Hillary, he will put himself in the same position as Truman was with Byrnes and the results will be just as predictable.

All of this illustrates the fundamental problem Obama faces within his party: He was not their top choice for the job. The Democratic Party’s top brass wanted Hillary, not Obama. When Obama began winning primaries and caucuses, they fell in line and refused to make a super-delegate goal line stand for Clinton, but that does not disguise the fact that most of them backed Clinton from the outset.[/quote]

Democrat elites aren’t happy that an African-American wrestled control from them. It’s historic all right: not for the nation necessarily, but for the Democrat Party.[/quote]

Democratic elites are all old and going to die soon. Their last gasps won’t be pretty, but at least they will soon be gone.
Obama only needs to worry about the young voting bloc, the one that elected them.

I was ambivalent about this, but if Dick Morris is against it, then count me firmly in Hillary’s camp.

There’s one thing you can rely on 100% about Dick- he’s always wrong.

Yes, I’m sure unnamed Democrat[sic] elites are miserable with the thought that they control the Presidency, the Senate and the House, and it’s all because they hates thems some colored folks.

Meanwhile, back here on Planet Earth…

[quote=“MikeN”]Yes, I’m sure unnamed Democrat[sic] elites are miserable with the thought that they control the Presidency, the Senate and the House, and it’s all because they hates thems some colored folks.

Meanwhile, back here on Planet Earth…[/quote]
The Democrat Party isn’t as wildly racist as in the past…

…but it still lingers.

Hillary had an unguarded moment on the campaign when she spewed forth some of her subtle racist thinking. Responding to Obama’s campaign for change and his qualifications for such change based on his African-American roots, Clinton tried to make the distinction between them really clear about whence change comes by basically saying: “Now just hold your horses there. Martin Luther King was an eloquent African-American agent of change and dreams too. But more importantly, it took a whitey Democrat president, (like I would be), to actually effectuate any real change.”

YOU TUBE – Sen. Hillary Clinton: LBJ vs MLK
Clinton and Obama Spar Over Remark About Dr. King

Old Democrat election poster:

Mz. Clinton would be of far better service in more of a domestic, and not an international role.

She already screwed up the health care thing once.

Or did you mean in the kitchen?

Why do you say so? I think the Clintons are pretty well liked internationally, overall. When Bill went to Japan to promote his book the crowds lined up. I think Hillary has a lot of fans worldwide.
But you often have good opinions that i like to read GM, can you expound a little?

Why do you say so? I think the Clintons are pretty well liked internationally, overall. When Bill went to Japan to promote his book the crowds lined up. I think Hillary has a lot of fans worldwide.[/quote]
Yes, I agree. I think she should be appointed Secretary of State. Give her a taste of the presidency that was supposed to be hers. Seeing her eat her excrement sandwich, bowing down and having to implement someone else’s presidentials ideals and aspirations while subjecting her own would be delicious. Of course, if she does decide to take the reigns of power, that also would be fun to watch. I’ve heard it’s a rumor though. I really don’t think Obama is that stupid; he has an awning what’s up.

Do you think he’ll serve longer than four months this time? :laughing:

Ha, nice Nam reference there Chewy. Yeah, he’ll probably get a paper cut and have to retire.

Nothing better than smearing a vet huh?

Two areas where differences might arise between Obama and Hillary should she become Secretary of State are Iraq and whether to take an aggressive stance toward Iran.

Obama said during the campaign that he wanted a 16 month timetable for withdrawal from Iraq. Hillary will likely adopt a posture that is more accommodating to conditions on the ground. An admiral recently said it would take two to three years to safely withdraw all US forces from Iraq.

If Obama can reconcile his desire for a timetable with what his generals and Hillary wants, then a potential area of conflict within his administration can be removed.

Another potential conflict area with Hillary is whether to meet with the leaders of Iran, and how to deal with Russia. Hillary’s mindset is to not meet with “hostile” leaders just for the sake of engaging in dialogue. The administration should establish goals and make diplomatic progress at the lower level first.

Hillary has the temperament and toughness to be an effective Secretary of State without being too hawkish on foreign policy. The question is whether she and Obama can see eye to eye on the issue of “meeting with Iran without preconditions”.

One thing I’m sure is that Hillary won’t kiss Beijing’s ass as hard as her husband did during his administration.

[quote=“reztrop”]The question is whether she and Obama can see eye to eye on the issue of “meeting with Iran without preconditions”.
One thing I’m sure is that Hillary won’t kiss Beijing’s ass as hard as her husband did during his administration.[/quote]
The question isn’t whether they can see eye to eye. If Hillary is Secretary of State, she will implement Obama’s vision to the neglect of her own. If Obama wants to kiss Tehran’s or Beijing’s ass, then it will necessarily be via Clinton’s lips. How delicious.

She could become like Christine Todd Whitman during Bush’s first term.

At least Obama isn’t rigidly ideological like Bush. So who knows, Hillary may influence Obama more than the other way around in foreign policy.