Secretary Clinton? O makes an offer

more positions being filled

[quote] Also, multiple Democratic sources say billionaire Chicago businesswoman Penny Pritzker is Obama’s choice for commerce secretary.

The sources say she will accept the job, which would be formally offered after vetting is complete. Pritzker ran Barack Obama’s record-breaking fundraising effort, serving as the campaign’s finance chair.[/quote]

Well as for those who like to say O had a connection to the Democratic Machine, here it is. Pritzker and Co. have practically changed the urban landscape in Chicago in the last 8 years or so. The list is too long on what kind of influence they have had on the Mayor, but it’s been especially noticeable in the current school reform and public works division of the city. Should this appointment go through, expect some drastic changes to be made when it comes to school choice, even though she is being considered for commerce secretary.

Why do you say so? I think the Clintons are pretty well liked internationally, overall. When Bill went to Japan to promote his book the crowds lined up. I think Hillary has a lot of fans worldwide.
But you often have good opinions that i like to read GM, can you expound a little?[/quote]
Appointing a Sec. of State for purely domestic, party-related reasons seems absurd.
Especially one whose background as a lawyer/first lawyer would have it’s limits with regards to the real nitty gritty of international affairs.
Her real foreign policy experience amounts to blustery & innocuous jockeying for position. An empty vessel spouting hot air, reactive, and not proactive.
Which would be great if the real objective is the maintenance of the status quo in US foreign policy.

As opposed to capitulation and surrender to Chinese/Russians/Terrorist scum I suppose.

Though it would be sort of funny to see her do a Colin Powell where she goes along with Obamas foreign policy and furiously briefs her pet journalists that he never agreed with it and always told Obama it would be a disaster to set herself up for run against him as an proponent of orthodox foreign policy in four years time.

Obama’s rumored appointments so far don’t look like ‘change’ :

• a governor near the end of her term for homeland security: I could be wrong but what makes her an expert on the subject?

• Pritzker, the billionaire businesswoman from … Chicago, the hometown

• Hillary Clinton, a woman with the ego of a monster truck; will she take advice from Obama and Biden, or will she want to run the world herself?

I’m all OK with Obama, but just like our own Ma, Sarkozy, Korea’s Lee etc I think people will soon be disappointed.

[quote=“enzo+”]Obama’s rumored appointments so far don’t look like ‘change’ :

[/quote]

Not anymore. Seems like the vetting process was going to give too much exposure to her and her family. :bravo: thank god.

That’s not what I read

voices.washingtonpost.com/the-tr … id=topnews

[quote]Days of back and forth followed the meeting between President-elect Barack Obama and Clinton last week in Chicago, when the two principals first discussed the post, with advisers to Clinton suggesting she might not want the job and questions persisting about the business work and international ties of her husband, former president Bill Clinton.

But the former president agreed to a thorough vetting, and Obama advisers did not back away from reports that the New York senator was the president-elect’s top pick. On Thursday night, aides said that the vetting issues have been resolved, and the selection could occur soon, perhaps immediately after Thanksgiving.[/quote]

[quote=“KingZog”]That’s not what I read

voices.washingtonpost.com/the-tr … id=topnews

[quote]Days of back and forth followed the meeting between President-elect Barack Obama and Clinton last week in Chicago, when the two principals first discussed the post, with advisers to Clinton suggesting she might not want the job and questions persisting about the business work and international ties of her husband, former president Bill Clinton.

But the former president agreed to a thorough vetting, and Obama advisers did not back away from reports that the New York senator was the president-elect’s top pick. On Thursday night, aides said that the vetting issues have been resolved, and the selection could occur soon, perhaps immediately after Thanksgiving.[/quote][/quote]

Reread my post. I was talking about Pritzker

Looks like Hillary will accept the offer: nytimes.com/2008/11/22/us/po … ma.html?hp

I don’t think age is a concern for her if she decides to run in 2016. Reagan was 70 when he took office in 1981. She will turn 70 in late 2017.

If anyone brings up the age issue, she can say “I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit for political purposes my opponent’s youth and inexperience.” :slight_smile:

Since Bush did such a lousy job in foreign relations, this is a golden opportunity for her to get noticed abroad and clean house.

I would praise my mechanic for turning a car that looked like a total loss into one that looked brand new. I would be indifferent if he performed body work on a car with a minor dent.

Repairing bad damage is more noticeable than repairing a minor one. Doing a good job abroad cleaning up the Shrub’s mess will get her noticed.

[quote=“reztrop”]Looks like Hillary will accept the offer: nytimes.com/2008/11/22/us/po … ma.html?hp

I don’t think age is a concern for her if she decides to run in 2016. Reagan was 70 when he took office in 1981. She will turn 70 in late 2017.

If anyone brings up the age issue, she can say “I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit for political purposes my opponent’s youth and inexperience.” :slight_smile:

Since Bush did such a lousy job in foreign relations, this is a golden opportunity for her to get noticed abroad and clean house.

I would praise my mechanic for turning a car that looked like a total loss into one that looked brand new. I would be indifferent if he performed body work on a car with a minor dent.

Repairing bad damage is more noticeable than repairing a minor one. Doing a good job abroad cleaning up the Shrub’s mess will get her noticed.[/quote]

Maybe. The last Secretary of State to successfully run for the POTUS was James Buchanan in 1856. Every one since then has failed. It will be interesting to see how well she reconciles her more hawkish stance on foreign policy with President-Elect Obama’s.

Now, any idea who is the Governor of N.Y. going to replace her in the Senate? Politico.com has a list (none of whom I have heard of except for the Kennedy) since the previous two front runners are otherwise occupied with David Paterson now being the Governor and Charlie Rangel having the ethics scandal to deal with.

As opposed to capitulation and surrender to Chinese/Russians/Terrorist scum I suppose.[/quote]
Give it a name, why don’t ya?

Seems a little outside of Hillary’s expertise, and of course Bill is an x-factor here, but politically it’s a smart move for Obama.

1. She’s much less dangerous in an appointed rather than elected position, especially an appointed one where he’s her boss.

2. The prestigiousness of the position is more likely to satisfy her than any other position would.

3. The Secretary of State tends to spend a lot of time running around the world doing things, thus giving her less time to promote herself and/or undermine him at home.

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“enzo+”]Obama’s rumored appointments so far don’t look like ‘change’ :

[/quote]

Not anymore. Seems like the vetting process was going to give too much exposure to her and her family. :bravo: thank god.[/quote]

Obama has chosen Bill Richardson as Commerce Secretary: news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081124/ap_ … ma_cabinet