Sedation Dentistry

Does Taiwan have any sedation dentists or will they sedate or give you gas upon request? I am terrified of dentists already and need a root canal. I have heard how against pain meds they are. I see no reason to go through unnecessary pain and anxiety when we don’t have to. :no-no:

Gas is uncommon, I guess because they’re not trained to administer it and it can (potentially) be extremely dangerous. However they will give you as much local anesthetic as you ask for.

Like you, I’m equally terrified of dentists due to a very bad childhood experience. However, I have needed to attend the dentist twice since living in Taipei. On both occasions, the female dentist was very aware of my ‘terror’ and really made the visits the least traumatic dental experiences I’ve ever had.

Before I had any treatment, I asked about general anesthetic and she just looked at me with puzzlement and asked, why? I explained that in the UK a lot of dental surgeries have visiting anesthetists a couple of times a month for more difficult procedures. The look of puzzlement increased. Anyhow, she was amazing and has increased my confidence (a little) and I will go back and see her, if necessary. If you need her details, I’ll need to go back and get them. I can tell you she’s opposite exit 4 of Nanshijiao MRT station.

Like you, I’m equally terrified of dentists due to a very bad childhood experience. However, I have needed to attend the dentist twice since living in Taipei. On both occasions, the female dentist was very aware of my ‘terror’ and really made the visits the least traumatic dental experiences I’ve ever had.

Before I had any treatment, I asked about general anesthetic and she just looked at me with puzzlement and asked, why? I explained that in the UK a lot of dental surgeries have visiting anesthetists a couple of times a month for more difficult procedures. The look of puzzlement increased. Anyhow, she was amazing and has increased my confidence (a little) and I will go back and see her, if necessary. If you need her details, I’ll need to go back and get them. I can tell you she’s opposite exit 4 of Nanshijiao MRT station.[/quote]

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yes, I’ve found pretty much none of them gas or do anything other than a local. I’ll just go and get my easy to get benzo from another dr first since that seems to be everywhere, and then make a trip to the dentist. LOL. Like you, mine came from a horrible childhood experience and I know it’s purely pschological but that doesn’t make the anxiety/pain of anxiety any less! :astonished: