Seeing red?

I hardly even noticed the accident the frist time through. THe accidents seem so minor often times, but I have heard my friends say that they’ve known friend’s who’ve died in accidents here. Have you ever had a minor or more than minor accident in Taiwan? If yes, what happened if you don’t mind my asking, and how bad were the injuries?

You asking me, Cara?

I guess it was ageneral question for anyone to respond to, but you are definately included in that!
SO Everyone who reads… If you’d like to tell me about accidents, please do so!
But yes, I’d like to hear your response to - you can private message it to me if you want to.

[quote=“princess_cara”]I guess it was ageneral question for anyone to respond to, but you are definately included in that!
SO Everyone who reads… If you’d like to tell me about accidents, please do so!
But yes, I’d like to hear your response to - you can private message it to me if you want to.[/quote]

I understand about ten people a day die on Taiwans roads and about one of these persons die in Taipei city or its immediate surroundings. And a great many of these victims were on a scooter (either as a passenger or a driver). That means you need to exercise extreme caution at ALL TIMES. And eventually be able to “read” the road situ well (like our man MOrdeth has done so far). Its all bout defensive driving and being SUPER alert to everything going on around you.

Personaly Iv covered bout 500,000 miles of driving in TAiwan. And only 12,000 of those were on a two wheeler (50cc moped). I was scared most of the time i was riding my moped tho. And i did have one drunk driver park his car and promptly open his door right into my moped. Lucky i managed to scrub off most of my speed before i hit the door.

While driving Iv had one serious accident (blue truck was in my lane on a country road and plowed into me. I was lucky i was stopped and had put my car into neutral before impact) . Lucky i wasnt hurt even tho i dindt have my seatbelt on !!

Had a few motorbikes run into me while i was driving. Lucky both myself and them were not hurt, although some damage to my car and their bikes tho.

So all in all iv been pretty lucky.

But i did see a whole lot of accidents in TAiwan. And now that im living in the USA. ITS kinda wierd to NOT SEE ANY ACCIDENTS??? I dont think iv seen a single accident in the last 7 years here??? And rarely even saw the aftermath of one???

We did the math once. I think it’s closer to 3 people a day die on the road. And your chances of dying yourself are about 2%…but only if you ride for 70 years. Luliplus and I did the math once.

Actually if you ride a motorbike you might have a higher chance of dying in America…higher speeds…and cars aren’t aware of bikes.

tommy 525 wrote:

500,000 miles of driving in Taiwan??!! :astonished: :astonished:

Where did you go mate? And how long did it take you to clock up those miles?

I am reading it correctly, am I? 500, 000 miles = Five hundred thousand miles. Bloody hell!

It must be e record of sorts. :slight_smile:

[quote=“stan”]
I am reading it correctly, am I? 500, 000 miles = Five hundred thousand miles. Bloody hell!

It must be e record of sorts. :slight_smile:[/quote]I think I’ve done about the same myself, probably more. Go look for a used car that has an average annual mileage under 30,000km. If you find one it will probably either be faked, or some housewife’s March. :laughing:

[quote=“stan”]tommy 525 wrote:

500,000 miles of driving in Taiwan??!! :astonished: :astonished:

Where did you go mate? And how long did it take you to clock up those miles?

It must be e record of sorts. :slight_smile:[/quote]

YUP. 500,000 MILES or about 800,000 kilometers. I put 450,000 kilometers on ONE CAR alone. Now all this driving was in the course of bout 20 years tho. So thats only bout 25,000 miles a year. Which is bout what im doing here in the USA as well.

That car was a Ford Telstar 1.8 GL Bought NEW and thoroughly used by the time i was finished with it (and still sold it for 30,000nt ) :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Oh and i had to drive a lot for my jobs in TAiwan and whenever i had free time i also drove all over the place. I love driving in TAiwan as there are so many nice roads to drive. I never did the southern cross island tho !!! I have to go back and do that. And i never did the road between the mountain ranges from hualien to Taitung either OR did the entire number 3 freeway (it wasnt finished when i left). OR the new tunnel. So theres some roads i got to do when i get back there ! I put in most of my miles on the number one freeway from Taipei to and from Kaohsiung (for work). And thats why i hate the toll stations (but liked the toll station girls tho)

OH AND add to that list of accidents that iv had the door that got banged in by an American Buffalo (in the LeoFoo Safari Park). I was feeding 2 buffalo some bread and when i ran out, i was getting ready to drive off but i put the car in reverse instead of Forward and moved a foot Towards the buffalo and that spooked him (he was probably saying “stupid driver”) and bumped me with his head to let me know his displeasure, leaving a noticeable bump in the door. And that was really just a light tap. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :help: :slight_smile:

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“stan”]

It must be e record of sorts. :slight_smile:[/quote]I think I’ve done about the same myself, probably more. Go look for a used car that has an average annual mileage under 30,000km. If you find one it will probably either be faked, or some housewife’s March. :laughing:[/quote]

Or it could have been my sisters JUSTY? She put only 3000 (5,000 km) miles A YEAR on that thing. Good thing too because after the first year she was surprised when i mentioned AN OIL CHANGE. And she said “WHATS THAT?”"" hahaha.

[quote=“princess_cara”]I feel bad cause when I left Canada I had just bought a brand new bike - and I think the milage on it is less than 2000 clicks even though I rode it EVERYWHERE and EVERYDAY… as much as possible… just cause I knew I’d be parting with my baby soon. Wah. I dont know how to do oil changes, BUT I KNOW WHAT THEY ARE! That was one of the first things I had to deal with - with my brandnew bike… checking out the fluid levels. That was a sick experience for a lil girl like me!
I’m happy cause I’ve met some people here who ride! Yeah!
BUT I"m still in the market for a bike. I want something that has tires bigger than the width of my finger (ridiculous 150 CC bikes _)… BUT… wah… cost…
I saw a pretty Kawasaki ZR 7S for sale. 190,000 nt’s… 2003. Hm. I like very very very much,… but maybe a lil big for a lil girl like me in a city where people do more dumb things than I’ve seen in my life… I"ve looked into the NSR 150 - as recomended… but everyone says NO to me because they say I’ll be unhappy with how loud it is (as being a 2 stroke engine). hm. I like Kawasaki’s 500 Ninja’s. THey’re always a pretty sight.
I think I’ll keep searching and asking. My ideal bike would be either a 250 ninja or 500 ninja.
SO. MIlage. I want to rack up some here… probably from late night rides. I do’nt like day time traffic… nighttime is much more empty on the streets. Calmer. I know. BAd for riding… dark is bad…[/quote]

I don’t know about Taipei but ‘calm’ is not a word I would use for night-time riding in Taichung… homicidal seems more appropriate. I love riding at night here but I try to take my gf to protect me from the drunk drivers who get aggressive as soon as it hits 11pm.

Stay safe :slight_smile:

[color=green]Mod’s note: Moved the bike purchase discussion [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/big-bike-purchase/32344/1