Seeking Foreigners Who Have Stayed and Plan to Stay

Why would you need to do research on that? Lack of money.

That’s one reason, but not true for most of the people I know whose kids go to Chinese schools until they’re about 10 or so.

I’ve been here for only a little over half a year but am viewing everything with a long-term perspective. I’ve spent half my life outside of the US so it’s not so weird for me to be able to make such a decision after such a short time.

My wife and I have a daughter- 11 months. I am not on an expat package and am a bit worried about schooling for her in the coming years. After reading a few posts here maybe I shouldn’t be worried. I know I was able to quickly adapt when moving around when I was young. My wife and I have been mulling around an idea of one year of school in the US and one year here for our daughter, and continuing in this manner for some years. We’re really shooting for true bilingual abilities (reading and writing included) is why this is being considered. I guess I’ve got a little time work this all out. I’m also thinking I might be able to get at least some help from the company where I’m working as far as one of the more expensive international schools is concerned, assuming that’s something we want to consider when the time comes.

Hmmm let’s see now, my son when to the local primary school in my town, so that makes me poor…

But now he’s at Lincoln American School for junior high… that makes me really poor.

It not always about money. Not everybody lives in a city that has an international school. Are there any in Tainan?

Ex-pat package… what is it? Until reading this thread, I’m not sure I’ve ever heard the term.

From my understanding, it’s supposed to mean that when you’re uprooted from where you were, no reduction in living standard is experienced. So I think it originally applied to those that were sent over to other countries by the headquarters in their home country. In practice, though, if you get the full package, you’re really living like a king at you’re new home. They’re getting harder and harder to get, but still not at all unheard of.

It’s when the company that brought you over here pays for things like moving expenses, plane ticket, and certain aspects of living costs, such as a housing allowance, schooling for children, a stipend for furniture, etc.

Nothing special. Just a few remarks.

1. Many foreigners experience the so-called love/hate relationship with Taiwan. Most foreigners, who have been here for more than 3 years, learn to except whatever Taiwan brings along. The polluted air, the worsening traffic condition, bad hygiene, … on the one hand and great facilities, beautiful nature, nice people, on the other hand.

2. Getting settled here doesn’t take much; a nice apartment, a good job, a couple of friends and you get started. Organising your social network (getting to know friends, knowing who to trust and not to trust, …) depends mostly upon one’s personality. Some people with kind personalities are naturals and will have tons of friends within the shortest period of time. Others may have loads of difficulties to build up their supporting network of friends.

3. In my opinion, foreigners married to Taiwanese (usually having children), tend to hook up in the big cities. Most of the foreigners will try to master the Chinese language to become more accepted here.

4. Do you sufficient speak Chinese by the way?

5. Final remark: there is also this Taipei Mix forum
    (groups of intercultural families in Taipei)
    groups.yahoo.com/group/TaipeiMix/
    you might want to try.

It’s when the company that brought you over here pays for things like moving expenses, plane ticket, and certain aspects of living costs, such as a housing allowance, schooling for children, a stipend for furniture, etc.[/quote]

. . . and most importantly, you receive salary commensurate with those in comparable positions back home, not local Taiwan salary, which means that you should earn twice as much. Must be nice.

To receive an ex-pat package, it’s my understanding that, for hte most part, you have to be hired by the company back in the western world and then transfered here – you can’t live in Taiwan and apply with western companies for such a great deal. Obviously, expat packages are not available in TESL or kindie, etc., but are more common for lawyers, bankers, engineers, etc.

Thanks for the clarification. Where do I sign up? :smiley:

How much does international school cost, if numbers works out even, you might as well send your kid to boarding school in the States (probably around 31k? in the New England area, US dollars of course).

Maybe some people want to watch their kids grow up?

MY wife and I (she’s Taiwanese) left Taiwan 4 months ago with our baby daughter to live in NZ… Both of us thought we had had enough of Taiwan…

After being in New Zealand since February we are actually now planning to return to Taiwan in September… It’s a cliche to say but you never really know what you’ve got till its gone.

Taiwan is a wonderful place and I, personally, can’t wait to get back to the great friends and lifestyle we enjoyed while there… I, personally, was one of those people who spent too much time griping about Taiwanese employers, etc, blah, blah, blah, and not realising the great things that come with life in Taiwan…

on another note… my post-count was a lot higher about a year ago… was there a server reset or something???

Cheers!

Daryl

[quote=“daryl_ks”]
on another note… my post-count was a lot higher about a year ago… was there a server reset or something???[/quote]
F.com is hardwired into the Taiwan Customs Mainframe. When you leave for good, the staff detect the “YAHOO” as you hand over your passport, and reset your post count accordingly. You can apply to have that number reinstated on your return in September. For a 3000NT fee, of course.

HTH

Hardy Har Har Har…

but I lost the little slip of yellow paper in my passport… Oh No! I guess there’s no chance of having my post count reinstated now…

CHeers!

Daryl

[quote=“daryl_ks”]Hardy Har Har Har…

but I lost the little slip of yellow paper in my passport… Oh No! I guess there’s no chance of having my post count reinstated now…

CHeers!

Daryl[/quote]
it has been a while then. They take that yellow slip off you as you leave mate.

it has been a while then hasn’t it… Guess I got confused as I always seemed to lose that little yellow slip regardless of whether I was coming or going!

Cheers!