Seeking lawyer to defend in potential medical malpractice

Can you suggest a lawyer for a friend who is a doctor in Taiwan? His patient died despite what proper efforts his team made and the family is very upset. They are looking for a reason - which is understandable given their anguish. Granted, the patient was Stage 4 Lung cancer, so the end was near anyway. However, the suddenness and apparently the great amount of hemoraging shocked family members.

There are many details which I am unaware of - and I don’t have to know, it is a legal counsel (not me) who my buddy should talk to. I would like to recommend someone my friend can speak to should the family try to bring this to court. My friend is a 3rd year resident at a medical center. To protect his privacy, let me refer to him as Dr 3.

The hospital’s reaction has been somewhat disappointing for Dr 3. Procedures are in place to handle these situations, but so far the only position the senior administrators have is “if this goes to court, we can win this”. While this is ultimately the goal, it is not a satisfying answer for my friend. He prefers to avoid going to court, and the accompanying stress and anguish on both him and the family.

I’m hoping there is someone he can speak to who can explain what his rights and options are as a physician on the case, should worse come to worst.

If your firend is a doctor I’m sure he should already have his own contacts in the legal community. He/she is an adult and can lok thru a phone book surely…

[quote=“Satellite TV”]If your firend is a doctor I’m sure he should already have his own contacts in the legal community. He/she is an adult and can lok through a phone book surely…[/quote]Ed wants personal recommendations and advice. Forumosa members are often very kind and helpful in giving these. Ed’s attempt is a worthy one and if nobody can offer the help he needs then no harm done.

I agree. As in any profession, some lawyers are good, honest and reasonable and others are greedy, dishonest and incompetent. I might have trouble judging whether an auto mechanic is any good, so I understand how most people would have trouble judging whether a lawyer or law firm is any good. Moreover, sometimes a client will hire a law firm with a good reputation but the case will be assigned to a lawyer who is a dud.

But I don’t know any good medical malpractice attorneys in Taiwan. Tigerman’s firm has lots of good litigators. Probably he can recommend someone in his firm.

I would recommend Wellington Koo from my firm.

I would trust anyone Tigerman recommends. :thumbsup:

You’re fast. Thank you, Tigerman. I will consult with my friend, and mention Attorney Koo. Hopefully, this will resolve very quickly

You’re fast. Thank you, Tigerman. I will consult with my friend, and mention Attorney Koo. Hopefully, this will resolve very quickly[/quote]

I imagine your friend will know of Mr. Koo by his Chinese name: 顧立雄.