關鍵時刻Segment on Ireland

1 Like

Not the most accurate report ever but good to see Ireland get some positive exposure (2016
。。). Pity they didn’t think to ask any Irish people to talk . :sunglasses:

They are about to buy up your country. :sunglasses:

Who ? :grin:

The CCP and its cronies. All your sacred celtic land bought up.

Doubt it. I believe we have been busy selling it to the Americans. :no_mouth:

Wales so far largely escaped the Chinese tourists attention and real estate investors. It still remains free from hordes of cigarette dropping, spitting tourists and Chinese billionaires building tacky apartment blocks on beautiful land. Ireland well we shall see.

which parts were inaccurate? the historical part or the business part?

Large parts. They were claiming it was the poorest most war torn country , vast exaggerations. There was no ‘war’ down South, they kept confusing the situation in Northern Ireland with the Republic of Ireland.

They also didn’t mention that Ireland’s economic mic success has its roots in the early 1960s free secondary education and also changing tax laws and joining the EU in the 70s.
Following the financial crisis shock Ireland bounced back continuing policies from that time basically but with a focus on attracting IT and pharma companies.

They also didn’t mention that Taiwan is a far richer country overall, but salaries in Ireland are much higher and quality of life is arguably better.
Irish govt focus on service industry which is not really polluting whereas Taiwan sacrificed it’s environment for industrial production.

My wife wouldnt mind to move to Ireland, the only reason is because you can get paid a lot there…Usually.

1 Like

EU was around in the 70s?

Earlier Version…The EC…or the EEC…Which became the EU.

Seems like they should have talked to a couple Irish people first…

1 Like

How can Taiwan be a far richer country overall when salaries in Ireland are much higher?

Net worth terms.

Taiwan has a boatload of money not invested, which means its financial system is relatively backward.

For the business portion, they focused on issues that were relevant to what Taiwan could be doing, and not immutable history. (Although they probably talked about river dancing just to pique people’s interest).

-Aggressively pursuing foreign investment
-Measuring impact by jobs instead of dollar volume

GDP, government debt, public assets, private assets, how much is left in your pay cheque after taxes.

That would muddy the waters of their simplistic arguments .

And of course in 2020 the gap would have gotten bigger .

I dated a Taiwanese girl who had a real fetish for Ireland. It’s not uncommon, to my surprise. Despite being just 22 she was obsessed with Westlife. I tried telling her Westlife haven’t been relevant for at least 10 years but she’d convinced herself they were still huge. Her bedroom was a shrine to all things Westlife. We used to make love to “You raise me up” on blast and repeat. The strangest Irish exports are popular out here in Asia

1 Like

That’s the first time I’ve heard of that.