Selected for household check

Just wrapped it up. They had me fill out a census form and sign it, asked how I liked Taiwan, if I was used to living here, and that was it. Literally. Took all of 10 min. Waste of my time and taxi fare, but whatever. It’s done. I won’t get picked again next time around.

Census forms are not anonymous?

I don’t know about that. We were asked about sexual positions at our immigration interview. They also wanted to know who made the first move the first time.[/quote]
I hope your wife shouted at them “What kind of Taiwanese girl do you think I ammmmmm”

I had something similar quite a few years back but it was done through the local police department. The cop was friendly and there was no real inconvenience. He showed up unannounced, which kind of worried me at first, but he was quick to point out that it would only take a minute or two. He was accompanied by the building super. I remember the thing he found most interesting about the whole thing was that I said he could take off his shoes inside the door, rather than out. He seemed to think that was quite peculiar at first, but then commented that it left the outside hallway quite a bit less messy than other houses. No big whoop. Taiwan cops are generally pretty nice, imho.

[quote=“fenlander”]
I hope your wife shouted at them “What kind of Taiwanese girl do you think I ammmmmm”[/quote]

I believe it’s the opposite situation in bababa’s case

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“fenlander”]
I hope your wife shouted at them “What kind of Taiwanese girl do you think I ammmmmm”[/quote]

I believe it’s the opposite situation in bababa’s case[/quote]
Yeah, I’m the wife. And I will admit that when they asked who made the first move, I was thinking “What kind of woman do you think I am?” But I was too nervous to shout at them. Is shouting at them a good idea when the questions are obviously inappropriate?

I think so. Or maybe politely and over-distinguished-ly asking to see the form and the place where it asks ‘who made the first move’ ?

Sounds like they were trying to get dating tips from you…

[quote=“bababa”][quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“fenlander”]

I believe it’s the opposite situation in bababa’s case[/quote]
Yeah, I’m the wife. :thumbsup: [/quote]
Ha ha my apologies

[quote=“bababa”][quote=“fenlander”]Just accomodate them. There is no point any of us acting like dicks to the immigration. Be nice to immigration it is their right to do this check. They are not going to ask you about sexual positions etc[/quote]I don’t know about that. We were asked about sexual positions at our immigration interview. They also wanted to know who made the first move the first time.[/quote]But, that was Canadian officials asking questions in order to approve your husband for immigrating to Canada, right? I’ve been present during US immigration interviews as an interpreter and some of the questions I had to translate WERE extremely personal in nature. The US immigration officer explained that those personal questions were necessary to assertain whether or not the marriage was real or just paper for the purposes of illegal immigration. At that time, the official position was to assume that every application was based on a fake marriage and the applicants needed to prove that it wasn’t. I was witness to many attempted marriage scams during my tenure as an interpreter for US immigration. A few well asked personal questions will almost always be the undoing of scammers. If you’re not really married, it’s almost impossible to prepare sufficiently for the questions they will ask. Examples: “On which side of the bed does your husband sleep? Sketch a picture of your marital bedroom, when did you last make love? What color is your husband’s toothbrush? What was the last movie you watched together? Does your husband/wife snore?”

[quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”]politely and over-distinguished-ly asking to see the form and the place where it asks ‘who made the first move’ ?[/quote]I was asked a lot of inappropriate questions by the Taiwanese NIA officer during my candidature for naturalization interview. Everytime he asked an unprofessional question, I told him that it was unprofessional, inappropriate, unrelated to my application, AND none of his [strike]fucking[/strike] business!

My apologizes for pulling up an old thread instead of starting a new one. Just wanted to know, besides for census or becoming a citizen, how random is this? How many of you married folks have gotten a home visit from the NIA and how often?

They used to randomly select, so your household would come up every other year or so. As I recall, they discontinued the checks several years ago. I have been here 14 years and only have had 2 visits and they were in the first 5 years. Nothing since.

I am the OP of this thread. The check went fine. And I’ve not been contacted since. Really just a random thing.

Had ARC 10 years then moved to Hualien. Three months later officer came to our house but we were not home. They called to say they came to talk to us. About a week later they showed up again. Wife was at home and talked to them. I was not at home. They asked about what I was doing for work, why we moved…mostly general stuff.