Selfish Clown Blocks Freeway for Ambulance

Driver hogs the passing lane so the ambulance cannot overtake, will not move over even when there’s a 200m gap for him to move into. Ambulance doesn’t have the performance to make that maneuver. Ambulance is finally able to pass on the right when a gap opens up and the Camry just stays in the passing lane. Passenger then apparently makes faces at the ambulance as it passes (not seen in video because camera is fixed).

I just hope he got a ticket for this, though a beatdown is more fitting.

Oh come ON, redwagon! You watched the video! The Toyota driver just probably didn’t see or hear the ambulance. A mistake ANY local driver could have made.

I hate seeing/watching this crap as the rage inside just worsens. I bet that Camry driver was too busy watching the latest episode of Taiwan idol on his dash mounted LCD.

+1 for a publicly humiliating beat down over a fine

Fucking donkey. Hope he gets the beatdown.

wtf, just saw the exact same thing today on number 1 highway near the wugu interchange heading south.
Some asshat in a blue Hyundai mini piece of crap (I’m a car nut and couldn’t name what that thing was) blocking an ambulance for a good 30 seconds or so.

I have thoughts with what to do with those people, but i think it might get me into trouble…

par for the course

On TV they made a specila note of showing that he had the passenger’s side window open, he can’t say he did not hear the ambulance. the ambulance’s video was too shaky to see the plate number, but with the highway cameras they can identify the plate/owner, and send him a 3000 nts fine by mail to the addresss he provided. That’ll learn him.

On a serious note, what is it with this display of macho against an ambulance? The number of cases is rather perplexing.

Can, or will? Do people actually get fined for this?

I can’t count the number of times I’ve had to honk my horn to get another driver’s attention and motion with my hand for him to get the hell out of the way of an ambulance or fire truck. The lack of respect here of many for the right of way of emergency vehicles is mind-numbing. :loco:

This guy was certainly brought in, though I don’t know if he was fined or charged in the end…

Yes, he’s deliberately blocking the ambulance in, flips the driver off at one point, and has the ambulance almost ram him after he brake-checks it. The ambulance had an old lady in back who’s heart stopped before reaching hospital… DOA.

I’m really glad I don’t watch TV news anymore. :fume:

Its not macho. Its simply a case of the person in the ambulance isn’t a member of MY family or anyone in MY immediate circle, therefor technically doesn’t exist.
Taiwanese culture at its most sublime.

I have noticed, after that particular incident (redwagon’s video, above) and the outpouring of public indignation, people are a LOT better at letting ambulances pass. When I first got to Taiwan, not one person moved one single inch to let an ambulance through. They just sat there motionless, fiddling with the mobile phones or watching the front-dash TV, or whatever it is Taiwanese drivers do instead of paying attention to the road.

Now, I can be walking along the street and - more often than not - the traffic will part to let the ambulance through when they hear the siren, almost as fluidly as in a civilised country. Which is no mean feat when you’ve got four lanes of traffic squeezed into three lane markings, plus the usual row of parked cars in the scooter lane. Things are definitely getting better.

True. In that second video you can see that first car really trying hard to squeeze over to the left to let the ambulance through. Makes the nasty pieces of shit stand out all the more, though.
The moron in the second vid, by the way, was not any kind of redneck hick or uneducated bumpkin. He’s a fucking grad student at NTU! Lovely.

Hey man, that’s my line. :laughing:

True. In that second video you can see that first car really trying hard to squeeze over to the left to let the ambulance through. Makes the nasty pieces of shit stand out all the more, though.
The moron in the second vid, by the way, was not any kind of redneck hick or uneducated bumpkin. He’s a fucking grad student at NTU! Lovely.[/quote]

Wasn’t this the one who’s mum was on tv crying on her knees begging the forgiveness of the police because its her only son :loco:
Once again the men of Taiwan really demonstrating how they are so superior to everyone else :bravo:

While we’re here can we also talk about off duty ambulance drivers who drive like complete twats? Over the years I filmed at least 20 private ambulances (off duty) running red lights, pushing in front, blocking alleys to buy food etc.

Or how about complaining about the judges and the police? If I can find a link then I will post one, but last year, or was it earlier this year, I remember watching on TV and reading online that an ambulance driver on call was fined for speeding by a police officer with a camera. The ambulance driver appealed the fine in court and the judge ruled that as the patient in the back of the ambulance only had a broken leg, it didn’t warrant an emergency, and therefore the driver shouldn’t have been speeding.
Judges here don’t seem to understand that a broken leg can result in shock, internal arterial bleeding, severe nerve damage and muscle damage, acute pain leading to unconsciousness, hyper-ventilation or even a heart attack through shock…the list is endless. Add this to the possibility of other unseen injuries which the patient may have, then it is clear that any patient should be taken to hospital as swiftly as possible.
I therefore rule that Judges in Taiwan are more retarded than the idiots that block ambulances. I hope their silly polyester robes get caught by a passing truck.
Case closed. No appeal.

How long have you lived here? Have you EVER seen anyone ever demonstrate an understanding of the concept of right of way? Nobody knows what right of way is here.

I know its slightly off topic, but I have seen it mentioned numerous times. What roads in what parts of taiwan convert (during peak hour) from being three to four lanes of traffic. I have been driving for a only short time now but I am yet to see it (:

I dunno, where do you live? There’s lots of them I think.

Minsheng Road (Taipei) going from west to east goes from three lanes to four lanes at Songjiang Road.

Or do you mean, where in Taiwan can you find four lanes of traffic squeezed into three lanes of road?

[quote=“spaint”]
Or do you mean, where in Taiwan can you find four lanes of traffic squeezed into three lanes of road?[/quote]

Yes that, original post updated.