Selling Baby Clothes

Greetings,
I was curious to know if anyone sells baby clothes online and how they feel about the overall experience. In Taiwan, clothes can be rather expensive and colorful for kids.

[quote=“jfrancisco”]Greetings,
I was curious to know if anyone sells baby clothes online and how they feel about the overall experience. In Taiwan, clothes can be rather expensive and colorful for kids.[/quote]

Well, they’re expensive in Mothercare. In Ai de Shijie or Carrefour or just any ordinary shops and markets, they’re quite cheap I’d say. A lot cheaper than Britain.

I sold clothes online here for a while. I was unsuccessful. And, I know a couple of babystore owners who tried to sell imported clothing and were also unsuccessful.

The problem is, there are just not enough local customers who really want to buy the Western-style clothing we think are better quality/nicer. The customers who like those clothes may have lived overseas so they can order online in English themselves, or they will search out bargains on yahoo auction and other such sites. Then, even though there is a growing expat community who have children, we are from all kinds of cultures with different ideas of style, quality, and value, so your population that will like what you sell is actually fairly small. Finally, clothing has the problem of having sizes so you get a high percentage of returns when the clothes don’t fit the child right.

Also, with clothing you run a big risk of having stock left over that you can’t move, so you have to put that factor into your pricing.

The store owners I mentioned above now sell local clothing or clothing from Korea, and order their own kids’ clothes from the US.

So, not to say you wouldn’t be successful, but there are some considerations.
Hope that helps.

Yep. My wife buys online from yahoo auctions or North American websites.