Selling modified bikes

So you buy a bike (NSR in my case) and someone suggests that the stock exhausts are rubbish, so you change it, then changing the carb will fix the stuttering, and you need a better filter for the high mountains. Then you realise that while it runs perfectly you never ride it anymore and you could do with the cash so you want to sell it.

My mechanic’s advice was change everything back to stock, but not only is that hard to do, it seems implausible when everything on ruten and yahoo is clearly modded to the gills. Even the stuff I see in the streetside mechanics has been altered to some degree. Are they all paperless/illegal? Is there a special “tax” to get around this issue? Any advice welcome.

[quote=“heed”]So you buy a bike (NSR in my case) and someone suggests that the stock exhausts are rubbish, so you change it, then changing the carb will fix the stuttering, and you need a better filter for the high mountains. Then you realise that while it runs perfectly you never ride it anymore and you could do with the cash so you want to sell it.

My mechanic’s advice was change everything back to stock, but not only is that hard to do, it seems implausible when everything on ruten and yahoo is clearly modded to the gills. Even the stuff I see in the streetside mechanics has been altered to some degree. Are they all paperless/illegal? Is there a special “tax” to get around this issue? Any advice welcome.[/quote]

Well its well known you can sell a bike modified, its upto the buyer to make the arrangments so it passes the ‘test’.
They may use the modified excuse to haggle you cheaper as they will have to mod it back to standard, in most cases this is BS, they just pay their friend to pass it for them regardless of the mods.

But it is much easier to sell a stock bike, you can pay a mechanic a few thou nt to do the hard work for you.

I did this with the swift and my G-MAX.

i bought a modified NSR 150, with rvf front end and nsr250 rear end w/ swingarm and rims.

to get the registration transfered to my name i had to pay a mechanic to place the engine onto another simular colored STOCK nsr=red/blk/silver: my bike= red/blak/white]. this way it will pass the inspection w/ stock setup[they take a picture of your bike]. then take the motor off of the passed bike and reinstall it onto the bike i wanted to buy in the first place. all for $5,500NT. the engine is associated with the registration, no frame numbers.

pete

[quote=“heed”]So you buy a bike (NSR in my case) and someone suggests that the stock exhausts are rubbish, so you change it, then changing the carb will fix the stuttering, and you need a better filter for the high mountains. Then you realise that while it runs perfectly you never ride it anymore and you could do with the cash so you want to sell it.

My mechanic’s advice was change everything back to stock, but not only is that hard to do, it seems implausible when everything on ruten and yahoo is clearly modded to the gills. Even the stuff I see in the streetside mechanics has been altered to some degree. Are they all paperless/illegal? Is there a special “tax” to get around this issue? Any advice welcome.[/quote]

Yes you are going to have to change everything back to stock if you want to sell it legally. If you really haven’t done too much to the bike then you should be ok. You will need to change the exhaust back to stock, but they won’t check the crab. Usually you can get away with suspension and brake components depending on the guy who checks the bike. It sounds like you really have not done too much to the NSR so I wouldn’t worry about it. Just put the stock exhaust back on and give it a try. Make sure you are still using the stock speedometer/tachometer, etc and the stock front and rear lights, and blinkers.

The aftermarket air filters for NSR’s are complete garbage and they will make your NSR run like shit, change that back to the stock air filter, or don’t even use a filter, but this is dangerous.

If the exhaust is not loud, it should be fine. They don’t check the carb. and you can fit the stock air filter back on to it easily.

[quote=“pizzaon”]i bought a modified NSR 150, with rvf front end and nsr250 rear end w/ swingarm and rims.

to get the registration transfered to my name I had to pay a mechanic to place the engine onto another simular colored STOCK nsr=red/blk/silver: my bike= red/blak/white]. this way it will pass the inspection w/ stock setup[they take a picture of your bike]. then take the motor off of the passed bike and reinstall it onto the bike i wanted to buy in the first place. all for $5,500NT. the engine is associated with the registration, no frame numbers.

pete[/quote]

A big, fairly expensive fucking hassle IOW.

I had a similar issue with an RZR (originally with fairing) converted to RZX (naked bike model). Not registerable without reversing the conversion.

I assumed that was the case for other mods but its good to have confirmation. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info, much as I suspected unfortunately. The biggest hassle is I didn’t have the foresight to keep the original parts.

The bike’s almost stock, shocks and brakes haven’t been altered, only the 3 parts, carb, exhaust and filter (and taking off the pink stickers!)

The filter makes it run like crap at low speeds, but I swear I feel a benefit running flat out and at any kind of altitude.

So do I change it back and sell it, or modify it until it explodes??? :discodance:

If you don’t have the original parts, i would try to sell it as it is now and see the interest. If the interest isn’t somewhat you expect just have fun with it.

NSR’s are hard to sell anyway. It seems like your NSR is basically stock. I’ll bet you wont have problems transfering the name if your do decide to sell it. You’ll be lucky if you can get $30K for it. I would say more like $20K. NSR’s are old and are a dying bread. No one wants them any more. Parts are hard to find, so unless you find the right buyer, just hang on to it. You can always come out to the Longtan race track once in while and ride with other NSR guys. :wink:

Been out to the track a few times mate, even met you there once! I was the muppet that turned up in jeans and running shoes (about 3 months after breaking my leg), swore I wouldn’t go back until I got something safer to wear. Actually, that’s pretty much the only reason I’d keep it, it’s shit for the kind of riding I usually do (small mountain roads), just the next steps up in parts means a hell of a lot of money. 20k was what I was thinking anyway. Cheers

Nooo! You can’t get rid of it. That’s a classic piece of kit. It’s already part of the history books. Besides it blows your socks off when its running right.

Ahh, ok I remember ya. Sorry! I think it has been over a year since the last time I bumped into you. Yes you are right about how expensive it can get with buying after market NSR parts, especially because most of it is custom. 20K for your bike would probably be a decent price. But like I said it is so hard to find a buyer these days. You could always trade it into a shop, but they probably won’t give you more than 8K on trade if that. Just keep it, save yourself the hassle. If you are just playing around with it on the mountain roads or the track then just keep it simple with the mods. All you need are nice tires, an aftermarket rear shock, the front shocks are fine if you get different springs and fluid to stiffen them up a bit, Frando and RPM make brake kits (caliper, pads, adapter, and master cylinder) for around $8-10K. You already have an exhaust and a slightly bigger carb, so with a little more cash, and some TLC your NSR could be a great little weekend mountain/track warrior. I know of a mechanic that specializes in NSR’s in Yingge. So I can always point you in the right direction.

I would concider buying it for the right price.

For some reason they are mostly bothered about changes to the fairing. I never had any trouble with colour changes (must be registered though), loud exhaust etc.

Oh, and here’s a fun one. A ‘friend’ owns an Impreza WRX wagon that was originally registered as a 1.8. It had almost all its internals gutted by the first owner so it now has a 2.5 engine, STI catback exhaust, new brakes etc. etc. DMV not bothered by any of that. ‘Friend’ gets new rims and low profile tyres fitted so next inspection the DMV measure the height and refuse to pass it because they claim it’s more than 10cm lower than registered height. He showed the braindead inspector how to calculate the difference in diameter between the old and new ones, and it ain’t anywhere near 10cm. Inspector shrugs and lights up a cig, mei ban fa. They obviously pulled up specs for the wrong car because if it was the same height as they say it should be it would look like a fucking monster truck.

So when I pimp the shit out of my CPI I have to keep all the standard parts so I can sell it later? I was planning to make hundreds on ruten by selling the forks and shock!

[quote=“llary”]For some reason they are mostly bothered about changes to the fairing. I never had any trouble with colour changes (must be registered though), loud exhaust etc.

Oh, and here’s a fun one. A ‘friend’ owns an Impreza WRX wagon that was originally registered as a 1.8. It had almost all its internals gutted by the first owner so it now has a 2.5 engine, STI catback exhaust, new brakes etc. etc. DMV not bothered by any of that. ‘Friend’ gets new rims and low profile tyres fitted so next inspection the DMV measure the height and refuse to pass it because they claim it’s more than 10cm lower than registered height. He showed the braindead inspector how to calculate the difference in diameter between the old and new ones, and it ain’t anywhere near 10cm. Inspector shrugs and lights up a cig, mei ban fa. They obviously pulled up specs for the wrong car because if it was the same height as they say it should be it would look like a fucking monster truck.[/quote]

So true, i had a freaking TD06 turbo and a big intercooler and 3inch exhaust on my CRV… what did they notice??
The BBS rims, i had to change them back to stock and it went through the exam no problems.

cant complain i guess :discodance: