Selling stuff VS shipping

So if you were going to move back, what would you do with your belongings? maybe each one of the things you own here isn’t worth a huge amount individually, but everything together is some money and if you are going to need to buy again, and if these things have some emotional value it would make sense to just ship all the shit?

Also, what are the cheapest options to send things abroad? what are the prices like? last time I checked UPS and similar prices were crazy…

1 Like

Sell anything that

• doesn’t fit in a suitcase
  • buying again is cheaper than the cost of shipping
8 Likes

Post office offers surface shipping. Takes 2 months to get to the destination but it will get there. Cost is about 3000 for a 30kg box.

You might want to consider shipping mainly because while most of the individual stuff isn’t worth much, nobody will pay more than 50nt for them, but will cost a lot to replace as a whole…

The other option is places like President van line but they charge so much you could just about charter a freaking plane and fly it over… I think they are only used if the company pays for it.

If there’s any other option, such as LCL shipping, then maybe someone can say how much that costs.

6 Likes

Same predicament! Idk what to do nor how to ship my bearded dragon and hamster. :joy::woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

Taxidermy :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Not funny

2 Likes

I know there are services for cats and dogs to be transported overseas. That seems silly to me because some flights allow those in the cabin and it’s only a few hundred USD to check them/more or less have them with you the whole time. Maybe look into a service for your pets. A bearded dragon is going to be a challenge with the need for a light and probably a glass tank?

2 Likes

I know it’s okay to ship them but I would need quick shipping. Not sure how to do it here though :confused:

1 Like

Regarding the original question: I think it depends on your stuff. A microwave, oven, air purifier, space heater, dehumidifier, or dresser would be a definite “sell in Taiwan, see what you need later”. There’s basically no way it’d be cheaper to ship that abroad than buy new.

Kitchen utensils, even if you have acquired a collection of quality items abroad, probably cost more to ship. My Dutch oven and Lodge skillets come to mind as things I’d really rather not part with, but would absolutely cost more to ship than buy new.

Going through clothing and figuring out what you don’t wear anymore and giving it away/selling it would save a lot on both hassle and cost of shipping.

Tbh, I don’t really know what else people acquire. I bring paper items like letters and cards that are meaningful to me back to be stored in my parent’s dehumidified house when I can. What else do people own other than clothing, bedding, furniture, kitchen things, and the occasional book or board game?

5 Likes

Wouldn’t you just take them as hand luggage (airline dependent)?

1 Like

I have shipped things the last 3 times I moved countries. Prices have gone way up post-COVID (probably Ukraine doesn’t help, either). By boat you can ship a lot, which depending on where you are moving can save you a bundle.

4 Likes

Can you provide any links to check out prices and shit?

1 Like

I heard whole containers are cheaper than partial containers to ship too… Which if you are moving whole houses makes more sense to do…

Can’t take hamster or bearded dragon on planes. Plus 4 bunnies will be my luggage :sweat_smile:

Are there ships that go from Taiwan to US that passengers are aloud on :thinking:

You mean cruise ships?

No no like a ship instead of a plane?

My stuff here was received by these guys, they took care of everything from preparing me for airport arrival stuff, and receiving at Keelung and customs, to delivery in the south and taking away the cardboard:

Prices will depend on volume, destination, and services (the last time I did most of my own packing to keep the cost down, since labor and materials in Canada would be ridiculous; in developing countries I’m happy to support the economy by having someone else wrap my glassware).

For my move to Taiwan, I cut down from dozens of glasses to 6 and no coffee cups. But, I brought all of my bedding and towels which were in good shape and high quality. Brought all of my clothes. Had my Thailand TV in Canada for many years but didn’t bring it here. I did bring my motorcycle tank bag from Thailand to Canada (didn’t use it there) and then to Taiwan, where I use it almost every day. A part of a container has been fine for me the last two shipments. I just measured/taped out the space in a room and packed into that

6 Likes

I heard of booking passage on cargo ships but it’s really hard to do. With covid it’s probably impossible.

Unless you mean like Titanic? I’m afraid that’s out of style after air travel became a thing. Now they’re called cruise ships.

3 Likes

Alaska airlines is the way to go

Alaska Airlines

Types of pets allowed: Dogs, cats (both at least eight weeks old), rabbits, and household birds in the cabin. Dogs, cats, ferrets, guinea pigs, hamsters, household birds, non-poisonous reptiles, pot bellied pigs, rabbits, and tropical fish as cargo.

2 Likes