Senior dog with renal failure

Not mine. But my aunt’s. She has a 15 year old (some sort of mixed breed Indian stray) dog. The dog is old, but in mint condition, until this past week. She has been diagnosed with kidney ‘problems’ not failure and was actually taken to the vet coz of the pus and bloody discharge from her mouth and horrid odour. Her blood works show kidney issues. 3 days of IV fluids and the pet is not yet drinking water. She stands over her bowl doing nothing. I advised my aunt to use a thick syringe and put some water in her throat and although the dog is not complaining, she is not happy about it. Her food intake is fine. Now she is 15 years old, will she recover from this?? Docs haven’t said anything and the all knowing intrawebs say, highly unlikely. She was alright one morning and by noon her gums were oozing bloody discharge. Does anybody have an idea if it is weeks, days, or months before the inevitable?? No my aunt won’t and can’t do IV fluids or subcutaneous fluids everyday. :cry:

So sorry to hear about that. In cats, renal failure is fatal, dogs, as usual, can linger around a bit longer, put a fight so to speak. Normally, to prevent this, I add a couple of drops of apple cider vinegar to the their water. Works with people and pets.

Usually, it is problems with the diet, there have been many issues of contaminated food, food with chemical residues, ecoli, salmonella, etc. in commercial pet food. And that Science Diet food they usually prescribe for these cases was always at the top of the list. Can they find a raw food provider or make some for a while, to cleanse the doggie’s system? It wil give doggie a fighting chance.

Are they sure it is not some kind of chemical poisoning, like anti freeze or a plant that the dog could have eaten, even onions? Those can all be deadly but if it is pinpointed, there might be something that can be done.

Thank you Icon for your reply.

Nah it’s old age. She is very very very old, for a non-breed ordinary stray. Nothing can be really done other than giving her fluids. Let’s see. My aunt has already prepared herself for the inevitable, she took very good care of her pet!!

sigh :frowning:

Oh, well, he had a good life while it lasted. Farewell, old pal.

[quote=“divea”]Thank you Icon for your reply.

Nah it’s old age. She is very very very old, for a non-breed ordinary stray. Nothing can be really done other than giving her fluids. Let’s see. My aunt has already prepared herself for the inevitable, she took very good care of her pet!![/quote]

Actually, “non-breed ordinary strays” in general have a significantly longer life expectancy than most pure dog breeds. My two 16 year old Taiwan mixes (mutts) are both still in decent health.

I would also be concerned about the possibility of some kind of poisoning that may have contributed to the renal problems, in addition to the age factor. I would get a second vets’ opinion, and also would probably dump any existing dog food in the house (if the dog is fed dog food) and buy a different brand.

Having said that, 15 years old is pretty old for most dogs, and it sounds like your Aunt’s dog must have had a pretty good life to get that far!

Thank you Rotalsnart !! Yeah the dog had a fun life, she was well take care of. Nah she was never given dog food. I’ll tell my aunt to see a new vet anyways, I don’t like the sound of them ( a husband-wife team) as they’re not being very clear. I had to look up a lot of symptoms and read about the dog’s condition…and I am yet unclear about her life expectancy. My aunt is a wreck and hasn’t been to work and is almost waiting for her pet to drop dead. SO if the dog has to really die, I hope it happens sooner, coz my aunt will go mad if this drags on for months. :frowning:

Yeah, it’s really hard to see a beloved pet get seriously ill, especially when you know it’s probably near the end. My heart goes out to your aunt.

Take your aunt out to a movie, and have a vet slip in and put the poor dog to sleep. If the dog is suffering and is terminal, there is no point in dragging out its agony.

And yes, I say the same thing with regard to humans as well. Yes, euthanasia can be abused and is murder when it is abused, but if someone is terminal and wants to end the pain, let the person do so. Pets can’t make that decision for themselves, but you can do it with kindness and compassion so that your beloved friend doesn’t suffer for no purpose.

I hope you’re not suggesting she do this without telling her aunt. I can understand that someone would want to unburden a relative or friend from making this decision, but whether or not to use euthanasia on a suffering pet is a decision that can and should only be made by the pet’s primary owner (with advice from a vet). I also agree that if a pet is truly in agony and there is no hope of recovery then euthanasia is probably the best option, but this decision needs to be made by the owner, both for the sake of the pet, and for the owner’s sense of closure.

I hope you’re not suggesting she do this without telling her aunt. I can understand that someone would want to unburden a relative or friend from making this decision, but whether or not to use euthanasia on a suffering pet is a decision that can and should only be made by the pet’s primary owner (with advice from a vet). I also agree that if a pet is truly in agony and there is no hope of recovery then euthanasia is probably the best option, but this decision needs to be made by the owner, both for the sake of the pet, and for the owner’s sense of closure.[/quote]
Thank yuo idea rat, but the dog is not in agony yet, not drinking water and again ulcers oozing from the mouth, but still chasing birds and squirrels. Also my aunt is an emotional wreck at the moment not dumb. She knows better than to let her dog suffer, and when she says goodbye I’m sure, she’ll be holding and comforting her pet. She’d want to be there. Movie??? Really?? No dog owners, animal lovers are more in touch with the pee-poop-birth-death-vomit thingies. She will deal with it okay, just that I’ve never seen a dog with kidney failure.

Update: Docs have said, she could live for about 20 days Max.

She hasn’t been drinking water for a week now…let’s see.

And she’s no more. :cry: Aunt is holding up much better than expected. Gave her a full burial and all that.

Terribly sorry for your loss. :cry:

Thank You. One does start taking a healthy dog for granted.

Burials actually help, with closure and all. Hope your aunt finds peace eventually.

Burials actually help, with closure and all. Hope your aunt finds peace eventually.[/quote]
Thanks. Yeah I hope she does. I know she won’t. :frowning:

Burials actually help, with closure and all. Hope your aunt finds peace eventually.[/quote]
Thanks. Yeah I hope she does. I know she won’t. :frowning:[/quote]

Takes time. Juts try to be understanding. For pet lovers, it is like losing a family member, and many people do not understand the attachment we have with our furry friends.

If it was Toto or Bobby or any of my fellow four legged housemates I’d be devastated. Even as I have many others to look for. Your aunt only had one, that for me would be even worse.

I do understand. It is bad for her. This was one companion in the last 15 years that took her through her mom’s death, a broken back, a broken leg, through really horrid personal crises, so I know. And I also know, that my aunt is devastated. It’s hard but it’s true. I am moving away too, and so are my kids, so it’s like you know everyone she loves are all slowly vanishing. Bad.