SEQALU: Formosa 1867 (aka Lady the Butterfly), Karisi Flowers (傀儡花) (Spoiler Alert)

Actual maps submitted to the US government by Le Gendre. He had mistaken 楓港 Hongkang for 東港 Tongkang.

Seqalu was a culturally Paiwan tribal alliances ruled by Pinuyumayan nobles. The Pinuyumayan nobles once lived in a place they called Qaro, which is present day Zhiben in Taidong. They were driven out by other Pinuyumayan tribes, and migrated into Paiwan territory. After defeating the local Paiwan people, the nobles maintained power but integrated into Paiwan culture. I’m thinking Seqalu came from Si-Qaro, which means originated from Qaro.

Seqalu controlled pretty much everything south of today’s Fengkang river, and covered all of Kenting. It was ruled by 4 major noble houses. The great house Garuljigulj, the second house Mavaliw, the third house Cjligul, and the forth house Ruvaniyaw. Each house ruled over a state, which was formed by a collection of villages. The leadership seems to be transferred between these major houses since the time of the Dutch. The intra-alliance rivalry and politics are a major part of the series.

The name for the general region, Long-kiâu is somethings read as Lang-kiâu in the series by the actors. The Dutch first recorded the areas as Lonc-kjauw, so I think the first pronunciation should be the correct one. Many sources say it means orchids in the Paiwan language, which I couldn’t find any actual proof of. The closest I could find that that orchid is rang and range in Atayal and Rukai languages. So… maybe there is some truth to it?

The Dutch also recorded the region as Dalaswack or Tolasuacq, which are references to Ciljasuaq, the capital village of Seqalu. The region contains two major Paiwan alliances. The one sourth of the Fengkang river is Seqaru, and one north of Fengkang river is the Tjakuvukuvulj, also known as Takabolder or Tocobocobul by the Dutch. It was a part of the Dutch’s 11 Heerschappye of Formosa. Although the Tjakuvukuvulj and Seqalu were both broadly speaking Paiwan, their relations were often hostile.

I’m updating this map and table as we go.

English Paiwan Taigi Hanji Comment
Seqalu Seqalu Su-khah-lô 斯卡羅
Tokitok Cuqicuq Garuljigulj Tok-kí-tok 卓杞篤 Also Tauketok
Tuiasak Ciljasuaq Tu-lâ-sok 豬朥束 Capital of Seqalu
Kualut Kulaliuc Ku-á-lu̍t 龜仔甪 Part of Ciljasuaq
Sabaree Shyamari Siā-bâ-lí 射麻里 Base of 2nd house
Ba-ah-huang Savaruk Bâ-á 貓仔 Base of 3rd house
Lingnuang Shurindan Lîng-luân 龍鑾 Base of 4th house
Liang-kiau Veljangaljangaw Long-kiâu 瑯嶠
Chasiang Kabeyawan Tshâ-siânn 柴城 Holo, 車城
Sialiau Siā-liâu 射寮 Holo-Makatao
Poliak Pó-la̍t 保力 Hakka