SEQALU: Formosa 1867 (aka Lady the Butterfly), Karisi Flowers (傀儡花) (Spoiler Alert)

Ngôo Pîng-hōng, 55, Winner of Best TV Actor, Best Movie Actor and Best Stage Actor awards, died in his home a couple of days ago. He also had a role in Karisi Flowers, and he’s gone before the series aired. He was also a Taigi language revival, Taiwan independence, and environmental activist.

R.I.P.

2 Likes

Ya, super sad. My Dad also passed last week from a stroke. Just a brutal week for me.

3 Likes

2020 has been a pretty sad year. Sorry for your loss.

1 Like

Sorry for you loss, @Toe_Save. :cry:
Hang in there and count on us for anything you may need.

2 Likes

My condolences.

1 Like

Trailer

2 Likes

An in depth historical sites tour of the Rover incident in Mandarin.

1 Like

Since the title of the series is changed to SEQALU:Formosa 1867, I wonder if we could modify the title of this thread.

It’s just another month till the premier. I can’t wait.

3 Likes

@Toe_Save is featured prominently

5 Likes

It’s a good reel, but it’s nice watching the clips and recognising some of the beaches and rivers and a few people milling around in the background.

2 Likes

Audrey is a fan!

Guy

7 Likes

Out on Netflix now. Maybe it was released before idk but it showed up for me now haha.

4 Likes

Nope, just out tonight.

4 Likes

https://www.netflix.com/us/title/81493001

The Netflix link. I saw the first episode on Netflix yesterday. The editing and pacing is a bit all over the place for the first episode, even though I already have a good understanding of all the players involved.

I feel like they could use a segment of Holo and Hakka from Sia-liau, Tsha-siann and Po-lak all bringing some gift to the current leader of Seqalu in preparation of the upcoming Maleveq festival and election of the new Seqalu leader, while trying to gain favors. It could show a bit more of how tribal life was like and establish hierarchy between the major political players.

I can’t wait to watch the second episode tonight.

3 Likes

Are there English subtitles available?

Guy

1 Like

Yes. Netflix has English and Mandarin subtitles.

Like most authentic Taiwanese historical dramas, subtitles are absolutely necessary, unless you happen to be fluent in Taigi, Hakka, English and Paiwan.

6 Likes

I was only able to pick up two Paiwan words from the first episode.

One is zaljum, which means water. I knew that word because it’s from the PAN word *daNum.

The other one is caucau, from PAN person *tao, repetition turns it plural, which means people in most Austronesian languages.

That’s sadly the extent of my Paiwan knowledge…

5 Likes

My extremely limited knowledge of Paiwan has been assisted by Abao’s wonderful songs, especially 1-10! :upside_down_face:

Guy

They definitely mentioned numbers. Some of the dialog counted 3 and 5 rifles, but I simply didn’t pick up those numbers. I mean it’s probably just tjelu and lima, but my brain didn’t pick up anything.

1 Like

For interested forumosans:

Guy

5 Likes