Serious puking & hospitalization from Flu virus

maybe they can make a written complaint to the virus, or try to get the virus to apologize on tvbs, humiliating it

Ha, I had one kid puke while lined up for snack time today, it went onto the kid in front of her who upon seeing and smelling it also puked, so I called my Chinese teacher over to help the kids to which she did and she also puked… tic-tac toe, 3 in a row. It was amazing…

mmm. rotavirus? Norwalk virus (aka norovirus)? keep your kids hydrated if they can stomach lucozade or similar.

not really the planetarium’s fault, its a really rapid spreading virus, and anywhere that kids get pushed together can spread it from one to many.

hope she recovers OK.

Yeah, make the virus lose face. Sounds like the perfect strategy.

Well, here we are again.

Wife wakes me at 1:30 last night cuz our girl’s about to puke. She pukes for an hour or so off and on, we shower the stuff off of her, she’s crying and shivering, we try to comfort her, before easily reaching the unanimous conclusion (having learned from the last experience) to take her to the hospital (fortunately just 8 blocks away). Get her checked in, inspected, IV inserted in her arm, laying on the gurney with curtain pulled around, and I head home at 4 am for a couple hours sleep before heading to the office, while my wife takes the first bedside shift.

I get to the office early and work like mad for a few hours, before heading back to the hospital to take over for my wife so she can head to her office. Meanwhile, more than a dozen classmates from our daughter’s school all check into the same hospital, also puking. Taipei health inspector is alerted and comes investigating. School calls all parents and investigates too. Food poisoning is ruled out and it’s decided it was just a virus.

Two hours ago my wife came back to hte hospital with my bien dang and relieved me, which is why I’m finally home now (ChangGung Hospital oddly has no wireless internet).

Our poor girl has cried off and on during the day: she’s tired of being sick, wants to go home. But she’s eaten less than a half piece of bread today and a miniscule amount of water, so the IVs she’s received continuously seem like a really important thing to me, and I’m not sure it would be wise to bring her home. If we come home she won’t be really starting to eat till tomorrow afternoon.

DAMN. Wife just called. She puked again. Last time was at 5 pm. So, she’s definitely spending the night there on the IV. One classmate on hte next gurney over. Unfortunately no regular rooms available now, just gurneys with curtains. So, my wife will sit on the chair beside her till 1 am, while I head to bed now for a quick nap. Then I go relieve her and, since I’m higher ranked at work than my wife and don’t have a direct boss, tomorrow I take the day off to sit beside her. Now just hoping she’ll come home before late afternoon tomorrow.

What a drag. But I suppose viruses hit the same way back in the States, wiping out a whole school full of young kids, except that back there the hospital wouldn’t be 8 blocks away and it would cost 20 times what this one costs. So at least there’s that to be thankful for. Anway, off to bed now to prepare for the next stage in the saga.

Well our son got back from E.R. on Saturday afternoon after about 36 hours of drips, diarrhea and puking. The E.R. was full of the same symptoms and so was the first clinic he went to. There is certainly some viral epidemic about. I had my ration on Sunday afternoon. Diarrhea like brown water, serious vomiting and the usual, no sleep etc. I had already learned what it was from when my son went in and so I just followed the doctor’s advice which worked well. No water, no food, just keep a check for serious dehydration and then start reintroducing water and plain carbs once the symptoms ease out. I am pretty much fine after a 2 kilo crash weight loss which more scarily is exactly the same loss that my previously 15 kilogram son suffered. We are both still tired and suffering poor appetite, but otherwise back to normal function.

Me too.

March 29th, Saturday night, I started feeling aches in all my joints and also feeling queasy to my stomach. By 9pm I was under all my blankets with the heaters on and still shivering with a fever. Then the puking and diarrhea commenced! This lasted until just this morning when I was finally able to eat normally and drink without puking it up. Wow! What a shitty virus that was. Take care my friends and wash your hands often to reduce the risk of transmission.

Ouch. Hope y’all (and Emily) feel better soon! :astonished:

Wow, I didn’t realize it was going around that much. Guess the COLD weather has something to do with it, lowering immunities. I was sick last week too (lowered my immunities by a 113 mile bike ride), but not as bad as the small kids (such as our girl). Anyway, I got a good two hours sleep under my belt, just fired off an “out sick” message to my coworkers, popped a multivitamin, and now it’s time to grab a fresh book (that’s the sole benefit; reading time) and head back to the hospital. :thumbsup:

good luck!

Sounds like a nasty one. Hope everyone quickly recovers.

MT, I am so sorry about your little one going through the virus. Puking is really exhausting for the little ones.

Sounds like Norovirus. You know ironically this particular virus first originated from where I lived in Michigan. West Bloomfield to be exact. I can’t remember the year but I think it was like 2003. Some cruise ship or something. If you look it up on Wiki it actually traces it to exactly where I am from…

I had it last winter 2008. It was horrible. I often eat at Night Market around here, but now I am kind of creeped. Does anyone know how it is contagious?

I mean how do you contract it? Does a healthy immune system help to beat?

I am going to make sure to wash my hands ALOT before I eat or do anything…

Thanks for the comments and concerns. Things seem to be looking better, but it’ll be another night in the hospital: 1/2 of Tues night and all of Wed night in a curtained cubicle of the ER ward, and my wife just relieved me over there and is checking her into a private room for tonight (finally available).

But I spent the full day over there and there were still a couple incidents of puking up of green bile, despite eating and drinking almost nothing at all in 2 days, till I finally grabbed a couple of doctors and demanded in my crappy Chinese and gesticulations that they needed to do something for her, so they inserted anti-nauseau meds in her IV. Finally!

The ER docs seem fairly helpful at least compared to all the other arrogant pricks in white coats who stand about chatting with eachother trying to look important and refusing to assist a troubled foreigner who has been there for several days and is in obvious need of assistance. When I mistakenly approached them for help instead of the regular ER guys, they made it clear they were busy bullshitting with eachother and didn’t give a shit about a patients with obviously serious concerns, not even summoning a nurse to help me out. Fuck them. But, I guess docs are known worldwide for being arrogant bastards with lousy bedside manners.

Anyway, more importantly, Emily still hasn’t eaten since Tuesday evening but I don’t want to push her at all. Better to let her body finally conquer that nasty crap that’s fighting it out in her stomach, while the IVs continue to sustain her. And, most of the 15 or so classmates of hers have left except one who’s in the next gurney over. So, in a few minutes I head back there with a laptop computer and pile of videos to entertain her, and we’ll wait it out one more night, hopefully going home some time tomorrow.

Thankfully, they say that which does not kill us makes us stronger, so she’ll be one tough motha after this. :slight_smile:

oh man that’s horrible. Good luck everyone.

The wife’s down with it now. Started last night. This thing has no boundaries it seems.

Sorry to hear that sulavaca. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for her.

I just returned to the hospital, we’ve now checked into a private room which costs NT3500 per night, but my wife tells me our various insurances will pay us in excess of that :thumbsup: AND they have internet access and TV AND most importantly Emily looks like she’s finally doing much better. What a long hassle it’s been, but nothing lasts forever.

Good luck to everyone else, too, in avoiding this. Dress warmly, get plenty of sleep, avoid coughers and snivlers, wash hands often, eat a good diet and don’t stress over things I guess.

Tough that you girl is having to go through this again, MT. Glad to hear that she’s beginning to get better–and that she has such a great mama & papa.

Sometimes the prick-ness of Taiwanese medical staff is astounding, but your “fuck them” attitude is the only way to go. Good on ya for dealing and being a good dad.

Thanks MT, of course it’s only a medium strength virus as you say and easily treatable, but its a misery causing one that’s for sure. Its more inconvenient than anything, and bloody boring too.

Final summary of this incident:

Emily was released from the hospital Sat afternoon, having been there continuously since Wed 3 am, with no food the first couple days. Probably could’ve gone home Fri evening, but they were being cautious and once we finally got a private room it was much more tolerable.

She’s noticeably skinnier, but normal perky self today.

This morning we ran into a classmate and her mom. The two moms shared notes and concluded at least 30 - 40 kids in her school were hit by this virus. Precautions are good, but I figure there’s not much one can do to avoid something that highly contagious.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Final summary of this incident:

Emily was released from the hospital Sat afternoon, having been there continuously since Wed 3 am, with no food the first couple days. Probably could’ve gone home Fri evening, but they were being cautious and once we finally got a private room it was much more tolerable.

She’s noticeably skinnier, but normal perky self today.

This morning we ran into a classmate and her mom. The two moms shared notes and concluded at least 30 - 40 kids in her school were hit by this virus. Precautions are good, but I figure there’s not much one can do to avoid something that highly contagious.[/quote]

Glad to hear it, MT.