Serious Question about receiving a DUI. I am located in the Taipei area

Hello All -
This is my first post on this board, but I have been a member for quite sometime. I have been in Taiwan for one year, and a great year it has been. My topic suggesting a DUI is what took place in America, just before I left for Taiwan in February 2011.

Long story short I can get my VASAP course (Virginia Alcohol Education Class) cut in half the time if i can get some kind of equivalent here in Taiwan. All I need here in Taiwan is to be pointed in the direction of a kind of alcohol evaluation and education class - some place that will educate me on the abuse of alcohol, etc. I would then show that certificate to my court in Virginia and be that much closer to obtaining my driver’s license.

Please cast your potential judgement aside. I am not an alcoholic, nor a bad person. It was a bad decision that I made in America once upon a time, and I am paying the price.

Any information that anyone has regarding some kind of alcohol evaluation/awareness/education program around the Taipei area will be MUCH appreciated. Hope to hear from someone soon.

Thanks!

-Drew

I have never heard of something like this, but you might want to call this English hotline. I have used it a few times for really random questions and they have always been helpful. If they don’t know they will call you back. I haven’t used it in awhile, but then number I have is 0800024111. Here is the website too. They might be able to help
http://www.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1086897&ctNode=29922&mp=T002

Good luck

If you do find a class, I hope your Chinese is up to snuff, because that’s what it’ll be in. Just hope they don’t have an after class test…

That won’t matter because all you will need is proof that you took the class right? So they won’t care if you don’t understand anything. Plus I am sure there will be other people there that will speak a bit of English. You will probably be the highlight of the entire class.

i guess i will start by calling the hotline. everyone - thank you for your response! i will let you know how it goes from here.

i called the hotline and according to them there is such a thing as a class, but it is for immediate violators only. if anyone out there is savy enough to know of a second move please let me know. thanks a lot!

I have taken an alcohol education course. It was all in Chinese and received a certificate. At this point I need the document translated to English and notarized. Does anyone have any idea who can provide this service in Taipei? I talked to the AIT, and they said they cannot help me. I am not sure what they really do in the office. They seem pretty worthless to me.

Anyway if anyone has any ideas how I can get this document officially translated I will REALLY appreciate it. Thanks!

Glad you were able to find a course.

When dealing with U.S. immigration, I was able to translate Taiwanese documents myself (maybe in your case, get a friend to help), then have a bilingual Chinese-English friend simply sign an affidavit stating that they are qualified to evaluate the translation and that the translation is accurate. Then perhaps they would need to sign it in front of a notary.

When translating from English to Chinese (to register marriage in Taiwan, etc.), I’ve translated it myself and mailed to Taiwan Economic and Culture Office (TECO - the de facto embassy) in USA. For a small fee, they stamp it certifying it as an official document and accurate translation. Frustrating that AIT won’t do the same. But maybe that’s because they found that there are cheap enough private agencies to provide the service.

[quote=“jajunk88”]I have taken an alcohol education course. It was all in Chinese and received a certificate. At this point I need the document translated to English and notarized. Does anyone have any idea who can provide this service in Taipei? I talked to the AIT, and they said they cannot help me. I am not sure what they really do in the office. They seem pretty worthless to me.

Anyway if anyone has any ideas how I can get this document officially translated I will REALLY appreciate it. Thanks![/quote]

Easy! Either have a Taiwanese friend translate it for you. If you don’t really have someone that can help you than I can give you an email address for a translator that has done a few documents for me. I just have to pay him, but he is ridiculously cheap. You can also check this website out. I think they might be able to help. I would honestly just find a translation company to do everything for you. This might help, not sure.
http://www.minquan-notary.com/p/english-information.html

If you get it translated from a friend, you and your translator need to go to the local courthouse. It takes 10 min to get it notarized if there isn’t a wait. If you get it translated via a company then they can do everything for you. I think the notarization costs at least 500nt, maybe more.

wow, thank you everyone for being so helpful! i will explore all of these options. it’s good to know that such a thing exists. THANK YOU!