Serious request to foreigners in Taiwan about your rights

This information is incorrect.

What is incorrect?

I just know that most countries just accept one nationality. The ROC is still focused on a possible war with China. They won’t let their citizen run away.

I know some people have 2 or even more passports. But that’s only because their countries allow to have more than one.

and the alien residence card is no Green card.

By the way, it’s “Pan Green” and “Pan Blue”. Although I suppose you already knew that… no doubt your friends in the “Legislativ” (sic) Yuan already told you that.

Also “Satellite TV”, who used to be an Aussie IIRC.

A young democracy is no excuse for the things that are going on here. At least that is what my Taiwanese friends are saying… :help:
:help:

I think your heart maybe in the right place but I also think you know zero about Taiwan and how it actually operates day to day. And that is not a crime but overseas Taiwanese who in fact know zero about how Taiwan actually works cause problems because they present themselves as being “Taiwanese” and start spouting their opinions and analysis when in fact…they know zero about the situation and that gives people in other countries (in your case Germany) a very mistaken view of what is going on here.

Again, on a personal level you are probably well meaning. But stay out of fights/issues/situations when you don’t know what is going on or have any particular stake in the situation.

Let me give you an embarrassing example from my own life. When I was in my mid 20’s I thought Irish Independence was a “big deal” and I thought I knew what was what about the British in Northern Ireland. I was real proud of giving money to Sinn Fein (i.e. the political wing of the IRA).

As the years went by and I grew up I came to realize that I had given money to an organization that was basically just a front for “dis-organized” Irish crime. Sinn Fein and the IRA are basically just a bunch of sleaze ball hoodlums operating in Northern Ireland. They do not represent human rights, Irish Independance or anything else of value. I fucked up by supporting them. And my heart was in the right place. But I got involved in something that in fact I knew nothing about. I knew nothing about it because I had never stepped foot in Northern Ireland and was drawn to what were in fact schoolboy visions of brave freedom fighters. Instead they turned out to be self serving low brow goons.

You would do well to ponder that tale at length.

take care,
Brian

You are on dinner party conversation terms with the speaker of the Legislative Yuan? Cool, can you pass on a message from me, next time you’re out drinking with him? Tell him he still owes me that NT$2,000. The stingy bastard won’t return my calls.

BTW Brian, surely you read that Coffee’s been here before, gallivanting around in the Legislative Yuan building, no less. AND he’s the first foreign TSU member. Strange how it failed to make ANY of the papers here, or ANY of the TV news channels, or even Next magazine – you’d have thought a bignose Taidu twat would be prime news at 6 fodder. :laughing:

Coffee, this is your mummy speaking. Remember to take your pills. Two of the little blue ones and one of the red ones. You know you get otherwise.

I mostly know Taiwan from outside.

I never had a chance to live in Taiwan for a long time.

But if you know what is right or wrong you cannot sit down and hope the solution will drop down from heaven.

You are grown up in Europe. You know two world wars happen here. Now it is getting better, because the people stood up and started to change things.

I cannot promise find a solution or a quick change to all of you, but very basic things should be cleared so soon as possible.

I don’t want to give up hope. If you give up everything so easy…why do you still want to live? Because you hope and belief to bring a chance.Perhaps not our generation, but fellows.

This party is new and it is willing for a change just like me. So let’s change things.

I don’t want to give up so long as I live…

I am sorry to have to tell you this but I have some bad news for you. You may now be a fugitive according to
“Article 96 of the Taiwan R.O.C. Election and Recall Law”.
If you should ever enter the jurisdiction of the Republic of China there is a very good chance you will be charged with the crime of illegal political activity, fined or imprisoned and then deported.

[quote=“Boomer”]I am sorry to have to tell you this but I have some bad news for you. You may now be a fugitive according to
“Article 96 of the Taiwan R.O.C. Election and Recall Law”.
If you should ever enter the jurisdiction of the Republic of China there is a very good chance you will be charged with the crime of illegal political activity, fined or imprisoned and then deported.[/quote]

Wow, and if that is true then all those high ranking officials he is buddy buddy with would be totally screwed by hanging out with a fugitive.

[quote]Wow, and if that is true then all those high ranking officials he is buddy buddy with would be totally screwed by hanging out with a fugitive.
[/quote]
What Taiwan do you live in?
Politicians on Taiwan can’t get elected unless they are criminals or maintain close relationships with known fugitives and criminals. If I recall Lee Tung Hui’s government was infamous for it’s mob connections.
Doesn’t Taiwan hold some record for the most criminals elected to public office from a jail cell?

[quote=“Boomer”][quote]Wow, and if that is true then all those high ranking officials he is buddy buddy with would be totally screwed by hanging out with a fugitive.
[/quote]
What Taiwan do you live in?
Politicians on Taiwan can’t get elected unless they are criminals or maintain close relationships with known fugitives and criminals. If I recall Lee Tung Hui’s government was infamous for it’s mob connections.
Doesn’t Taiwan hold some record for the most criminals elected to public office from a jail cell?[/quote]

Spare me the lecture… The point I was trying to make was the guy is full of BS. This thread is not so much about Taiwan politics but rather about some Chachi winding everybody up.

I agree but if his membership card is legit then the TSU may have broken the law and that link he posted may be used as evidence.

As far as I can see the only person to have changed the law to help foreigners is Richard Hartzell. Like it or not.

Ma Yingjiu is a British citizen ? I find that implausible.

[quote=“CoffeAnnan”]Yeah, I’m not a citizen of the ROC and got full party membership…even equal to Taiwanese people.

The TSU is the newest party in Taiwan. Lee Teng-Hui has really a strong faith in Christian religion. I sent him a letter asking him if his party doesn’t want to be the first party with a foreigner.[/quote]
Sorry to disappoint you. Linda Arrigo beat you by joining the Green Party, although it is theoretically illegal to do so. The Green Party also invited me to join about 7 years ago, but I didn’t take up the offer. Explanation: The law banning foreigners from involvement in politics dates from the martial law era. It is an anachronism and can be challenged on that basis.

How can you know what passports Lien Chan does or does not hold? Also, why would Ma Yingjiu need a British passport to go to Berlin? An ROC passport would do fine.

Well, he could be, given that he was born in Hong Kong. But I don’t think high-up officials in Taiwan are allowed to have dual nationality. If Ma had a British passport, I think he would keep it locked away in a safe place, not go flashing it around to strangers in Berlin. Definite whiff of bullshit.

Boomer, your information is out of date. Germany changed its law a couple of years ago to allow dual nationality, which is quite important especially for the many Turkish immigrants in Germany.

Edit: I take that back. I remember media reports to that effect, but internet sources indicate that one is still normally required to renounce one’s original nationality to be naturalised in Germany, although there are some exceptions. (See this page in German - the exceptions are listed in section 87.) The relevant law is called Gesetz zur Reform des Staatsangehoerigkeitsrechts (Nationality Reform Act). It came into effect on 1 January 2000.

p.s. Three cheers to everything Hartzell said above.

I forgot to mention a “Green Card” as a desideratum, and this is a good example. Taiwan has “permanent” residence cards, but they’re cancelled if you leave the country for more than six months (? something like that) and then you start over fresh. This is the result of a feeling on the part of a few lawmakers (or is it only bureaucrats?) that it would be bad to have a larger population of foreigners with the right to come back to Taiwan whenever they want. Or something–to be honest, I don’t see what their problem is. (It couldn’t be a labor thing, because laborers are excluded from permanent residency anyway, right?) Anyway, in theory this would be the simplest thing in the world for the government to change. No interest groups are involved, except us of course.

Some of you may be wondering how I managed to resist the temptation to suggest that the TSU might do things like “Encourage greater awareness of foreign cultures and English language ability by granting foreign men special “Womanizing” visas.” Alas, these are issues I like to see discussed seriously, regardless of the legitimacy of QuixoteAnnan’s party affiliation or the likelihood of his contacts resulting in anything.

Okay, so you have reminded us all of the things we dislike about Taiwan, great. My question to you is what are you going to do about it?

I realize that the only reason Taiwan even cares to bother with foreigners is so that we can, “come shop here…” “Take, take, take and never remember to give.” It is reflected in everything, everyday. Now, because the Taiwanese government has come up with reasons as to why they treat us the way they do, it’s okay?

“You could click on ly.gov.tw and tell them what you want to say, but noone will listen to you,because they simply don’t know you and will not trust in you.”

So in other words, we should just shut up and sit down?

How can this government be considered “responsible” when it isn’t even “reasonable?”

Most government officials around the world don’t know the people that write to them to voice their concerns. That doesn’t mean that they ignore them or hang up the phone when they don’t have the answer. That’s just rude and demonstrates how unprepared this government is. Unprepared to be a real member of the international community.

The government here can only be described as ridiculous. The excuses they use to justify themselves are nothing short of sickening.

Maybe it’s time to say, “Boycott Taiwan.”

According to Coffeannan, we are wasting our time here. " they do not know us…" so they will never listen to us.

How is it that you, Coffeannan, think you can help us when you bring that type of attitude to the table? Don’t be a part of the problem, because if you are, we don’t need you.

Hey Guys, give CoffeeAnnan a break. Can’t you get over the fact that this isn’t your country? Contrary to what Hartzell says, this ain’t a US territory. A whole lot of complaining going on…sheesh…

Please calm down everybody :braveheart:

At first it is rude of some of you just to attack my person :fume:

I don’t want to be a hero or leader for you :loco:

I simply want to help Taiwan becoming a better country and human rights are a basic part of it .

So let’s concentrate and focused at the goal and stop attacking my person :fume: :smiling_imp: :fume:

It was rude to post the 3 years old homepage I made before and then using rude German words against me :bluemad:

On one side some of you are hard to understand…some just make fun of everything and make down everything.

Some posted important points which really make sense.

Besides all that I have to earn money…I work as a free financial manager and accounting for private household… so I impossible can be 24 hours on line.

If I want to improve Taiwan I have to do it carefully. The issues about foreigners who are already for a long time in Taiwan. I know my faxes and e-mails will be mostly ignored. So I have to stand up at 3.30am German local time and call the one I sent the faxes and mails. At 9.30am they are not so busy. So I called Lee hsien-ren. I told him what are the situation is of Western foreigners.
He shows his understanding, but can promise to make to a big topic maybe next year, because they have a time table when and what will be discuss. Things don’t work like in Western countries.

Another big problem is that you are terrible organized. Besides Oversea Americans in Taiwan I didn’t find any at least organized groups. In Asian countries you cannot talk to an important official institution like the Legislative Yuan.

I also agree that your situation is not hopeless! You may live, you may say whatever you want, you may have work, you may marry…etc.

So it is up to improve the details.

However…I also asked Japanese,Korean,Thais,and other Asians. Each nationality has a different situation compared to Western people.

And one thing you perhaps believe me is that the civil servants just care about the nationality in your passport. You can be an Oversea Chinese, but no one cares.

Another thing you should understand is that Taiwan in a situation of big changing. First time it is spoken loudly out to abolish the sentence to death, because of Western moral values aspects. That’s new in whole Asia and it needs time to get into the heads of the people.

so again …let`s focused on the issue. P L E A S E !