Server electricity usage

How many servers could one run on 80K NT$ electricity cost in two months?

Worst case scenario.

https://www.taipower.com.tw/upload/317/2018032816540459885.pdf

6.41NT$ per KWh.

Server,

Worst case draws 200W (not standby power)

200W for 24h = 4.8KWh , 60 days @ 4.8KWh is 288 KWh, 288KWh @ 6.41NT$ per KWh is 1846 NT$ , 83K divided by 1846 NT$ (cost per server) is

roughly 43 servers.

In reality cost for a single server will be much less, because of sliding price of electricity depending on usage and a server would likely be idle a lot of the time.

It’s not a home server. Mining!

Just wondering, a friend had a place rented out and according to security no one really stayed there, they came in sporadically. Nevertheless they run a bi-monthly power bill of 80K NT$. We know the tenant is in IT.

Ah, the bitcoin mining servers use a ton of power. You can rework the calculations. Here is an article on bitcoin miners.

https://blog.bitcoin.org.hk/bitcoin-mining-and-energy-consumption-4526d4b56186

Bitmain is a manufacturer of Bitcoin mining equipment based in Beijing and Shenzhen. They claim to have produced roughly 70% of the world’s Bitcoin miners, using chips from Taiwanese chip foundry TSCM. Their latest model, the S9, uses a 19nm chip. From their website we can learn that the latest batch produces about 14 TH/s (14x10^12) at 1372W. Earlier S9 models use the same electricity per hash.

using 1372W as the estimate, just eye balling the previous estimate, 6 or 7 servers.

I don’t have the numbers, but I figured that up once and the profit margin is tiny. Electricity is too expensive in Taiwan. It would take you over a year to pay for the server, assuming you’re goingto use Antminer or similar. You’d be better off renting time on a server farm or cloud mining or something else that’s based in China or (if that’s still possible) or Greenland where electricity is cheap. Also, crypto prices are dropping.

or growing weed

I was thinking a bunch of server to run illegal gambling sites, and 24h aircon.

The story continues:

The guy that rented the place was somehow able to produce a falsified rental contract and get the name on the electricity bill changed to someone that not lived there. ???

I paid my ex bill for years even though I didn’t live there, and the contract was in my name

The above was in hk

But, I would be surprised if the name on the electricity bill must match the person living in the apartment in tw

To change a name you need a valid lease contract. The lease was in his name and he faked it in another name, not his.
As far as we know they did some illegal stuff in there. It’s a big chance that the ID they used was stolen.