Service Quality of Taiwan's Manufacturing and Service

Hello all,

I’m conducting a study into the service quality of manufacturers and service providers to foreign firms with National Cheng Kung University in Tainan (國立成功大學).

This study will help manufacturers and service providers know what their consumers value in a business to business relationship. It will help the foreign firms (American, British and Canadian) by sharing knowledge and giving them a benchmark to evaluate the service they are receiving.

To develop a set of service quality dimensions, I need American, British and Canadian firms who purchase goods or services from Taiwan to either fill out an online questionnaire or an interview (done over the phone or Skype).

It is completely anonymous, however, if respondents wish, they may provide their email and I will send them a copy of the results.

If you would like to participate, or help distribute this survey with me, please contact me at shanes.grad.research@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Shane Baillargeon
Graduate Student, IMBA
National Cheng Kung University
Tainan, Taiwan

Phone: +886.917.450.101

They have service here? Really?

With all due respect SuchAFob, I’m trying to conduct some serious research that will benefit firms in both Taiwan and outside countries. The focus is on business to business relationships between Foreign firms (American, British and Canadian) and their Taiwan based suppliers.

Whatever your feelings are towards service in a day to day context, it really has no bearing on my research. I’m hoping to find people to help me with the survey. If this thread degenerates into a discussion about customer service, it won’t help me or others who would like to reach out to the foreign community for assistance in serious matters.

If you wish to discuss the quality of service in a business to consumer sense, I’m more than willing to discuss in another venue. I can likely point you to some literature that often leads foreigners in Taiwan do look negatively on the service provided in shops, restaurants and pubs.

Sincerly,

Shane Baillargeon
shanemb@gmail.com

I doubt that will be necessary.

Shane,

No offense, but I don’t get it.

That should be obvious, isn’t it?

In manufacturing, customers value goods manufactured and delivered on time, in conformance with applicable designs and specs, free from defects in materials and workmanship, free from IP infringement, packaged and delivered properly, at an attractive price with reasonable payment terms, with prompt and effective customer support in the event of any problems.

For service providers, customers value services performed promptly, professionally and in conformance with the customer’s request and expectations, at an attractive price with reasonable payment terms, with prompt and effective customer support in the event of any problems.

Isn’t that about right in any industry in any country?

[quote]It will help the foreign firms (American, British and Canadian) by sharing knowledge and giving them a benchmark to evaluate the service they are receiving.

To develop a set of service quality dimensions, I need American, British and Canadian firms who purchase goods or services from Taiwan to either fill out an online questionnaire or an interview (done over the phone or Skype).[/quote]

Ah, are you saying you will compile specific benchmarks of how frequently and how precisely Taiwan manufacturers conform to the design and specs, what percent of products are delivered free from defects, what is the average warranty period, what is the average time to respond to concerns about defects and remedy them, how often do Taiwanese manufacturers provide competitive pricing, etc.?

Something like that could be helpful in theory, but it sounds near impossible to compile without limiting the scope, in light of the huge breadth of possible industries, goods and services (LCD manufacturing v. fast food services v. hotel industry v. shipbuilding, etc.) and the constantly changing business environment. But is that what you’re trying to put together? If not, what?

I agree that intuitively we would think that those items are important to all. However, there has been very little specific research done in the b2b area surrounding Taiwanese OEM/OED manufacturers and the service quality they provide.

A plethora of research is available that shows different cultures value different aspects of service delivery. For example, in the consumer market, Taiwanese consumers were found to value the “politeness/friendliness of the sales person” highest. Where American respondents valued “good merchandise/ what I want” most. (Trappey, C., Lee, T.-Z., Feinberg, R. A., & Ruyter, K. d. (1995). Consumer-defined service quality in international retailing. Total Quality Management, 6(1))

I think I made a mistake by posting this request here. My intention was to find people who had some contacts in the importing or exporting market to pass them on to help me with my research project.

Maybe not. A lot of people read these forums without posting. I work closely with Nielsen and could probably help you but I’m not allowed to as I’ve signed a confidentiality agreement with them.

And why not a German company?