SET TV NEWS - Coverage of Foreigners at Pubs

I was watching SET TV news covering foreigners and Chinese girls meeting at pubs. The coverage shows foreigners as just having sex on their minds and not being able to have a real relationship 'cause we are not staying long. These kinds of coverages make the public think that all foreigners are SH*T and that we are nothing but promicuous sex perverts.

Parts of the clip show foreigners kissing Chinese girls in pubs saying, “Does a Western meal taste better than a Chinese meal?” and “Don’t you girls know that they are just here to have S*X and are not going to stay long?”

It’s like Chinese guys don’t kiss girls in pubs? Come on! People go to pubs to relax, to meet people. So what’s the big deal? Why does the media have to make us look so terrible?

I’m pretty conservative compared to alot of Chinese guys that I see in the pubs. Friends and coworkers of mine watch the news. What are they going to think of me? The big bad wolf??? I’m not one!

I, a foreigner, respect women but the media is being bias in their coverage. They make us look like we use them as a S*X tool. The coverage should be fair. The should have different piont of views and not just from one point. They should say that some and not all foreigners are like that. Also that Chinese and foreign guys are much alike. Both have good and bad men. There is this woman that SETTV interviewed and she said that girls that date foreigners are have low education and have to be with foreigners to feel better about themselves.

BULLSHT! Girls go out with me 'cause they like me and 'cause I respect them. It’s not because they have a low eduacation. The girls that I have been out with all have different degrees. How am I supposed to have lunch with any girl now? The person interviewed is a legislator, I think? NOT SURE!?! I’ve seen her on TV many times but forget her occupation. But she shouldn’t have said that. She’s telling Chinese girls that they are SHT if they go out with us.

SETTV and the person interviewed should be held accountable for the outrageous comments that they have made. They are making life difficult for us and our Chinese friends.

IT HAS TO STOP NOW…Does anybody want to let our voices be heard by the public and stop the media creating problems for us foreigners living in Taiwan? And stop this well-known woman’s comment from hurting our (girl) friends that go out with us?

agree. danny is right. but how can we fight this stereotyping? it is like near impossible

The coverage was Negative.

So we NEED a Positive coverage.

1.I really think that the woman interview should apologise to the Taiwan girls that are our friends for her comment. I don’t like her calling my friends low educated girls that be with foreigners to feel better about themselves. I’m sure that they are our friends because we respect them more than some of the locals.

2.SETTV to apologise to foreigners for their racial discrimination in the coverage.

If we don’t speak out against the bias coverage then we admit that we are like that.

It doesn’t matter, as stable foreigners aren’t "news"worthy.

Forget about it and have fun with the girls. As a matter of fact, I think that it good PR for the dangerous foreigners.

Of course, if you DO speak out, you’ll be regarded as no more than an unharmonious troublemaker. Welcome to Taiwan and institutionalized xenophobia. These people are ignorant peasants. Why on earth do you expect them to behave as if they have any intelligence?

danny, sandman exaggerates, as is his wont. But it’s true, there is nothing we can do about it. Stable foreigner stories are not news, but drunken randy pervert foreginers who take off their clothes and attack police HQ make GREAT tv news segments. Get used to it, as the sandman says. he knows. we know. now u know.

you are right. But nobody will listen to you at set tv. They really like foreigners. they just like good ratings, too. Money talks, mate!

The worrying thing is not that these shows exist (we accept that the media revels in portraying foreigners as scum) but that there is a perceived audience for this sort of thing. Public reaction to the latest scandal VCD appears to have been one of apathy, and it would be nice if the general public were getting fed up with an endless diet of trash.

However, and it’s a big “however”, I don’t see any turning point in the current trend in projecting all the faults of Taiwanese society onto non-Taiwanese. I would have thought the death of the mainland girls who were smuggled in here, would have resulted in an analysis of the insatiable need of the Taiwanese for prostitutes. Of course it didn’t. And why would it ? For years Taiwanese businessmen in their droves have been patronising mainland knocking shops. It appears economies can be made if the mountain moves to Mohammed, and this appears to have been the major benefit to Taiwan of the Statue Governing [Cross-Straits Relations]. Of course there are quotas - enter Vietnam. And so on.

Clearly it would be an unwise TV station that would run a program exposing gangster bosses smuggling in prostitutes from the mainland or Vietnam. A young exec could find himself wearing concrete jeans on the bed of the Tamshui River! Far better to run a story on how dreadfully sordid foreigners here are. I would actually be surprised if anyone here was shocked by the revelation that young white men in Asia like to shag Taiwanese birds. Pure hypocrisy, and I’m sure many locals would recognise it as such.

It reminds me of the time I spent in Kelantan, the only state in Malaysia run by the fundamentalist PAS party. Whilst the PAS leadership ranted about foreign devils and their filthy dirty evil ways, KTVs, restaurants, and massage parlours across the border in Sungai Golok were doing a roaring trade with the Kelantanese Muslim men. And that was ten years ago.

Pot kettle black. Plus ca change.

[quote=“danny”]The coverage was Negative.

So we NEED a Positive coverage.

1.I really think that the woman interview should apologise to the Taiwan girls that are our friends for her comment. I don’t like her calling my friends low educated girls that be with foreigners to feel better about themselves. I’m sure that they are our friends because we respect them more than some of the locals.

2.SETTV to apologise to foreigners for their racial discrimination in the coverage.[/quote]

look at it this way. these shows appeal to uneducated morons. a tv show with positive examples of foreigners probably wouldn’t even appeal to you and will mean nothing.

however foreigners who by their very actions show these shows to be the trash that they are will help tremendously.

San Li news just ran a similar story. However it was pitched as Taiwanese women seeking out (hooking) foreigners in pubs. They went on to question whether “western food” tasted better than Chinese fare" and if the “foreigners weren’t more interested in desert than a main course.” Gratuitous kissing scenes a plenty.

Just prior to that report they had Bob from Carnegies defending the e-mailed false Carnegies logo claims.

HG

Daltongang. I’ll try my very best to never again dance the drunken foreigner jig when a camera is wagged in front of my face. One day at a time though.

[quote]

Daltongang. I’ll try my very best to never again dance the drunken foreigner jig when a camera is wagged in front of my face. One day at a time though.[/quote]

that may be a long hard road for you. i’d say as long as you’re fully clothed, don’t sweat the small stuff.

but when you’re really communicating with people, let that solid character show through the jig dancing exterior :slight_smile: seriously, THAT’S what i’m talking about.

After a couple of beers at my friend’s bar…I don’t give a DMNSHT about the news. Even some of the Chinese at the bar think the news is TRASH!

Anyways no one remembers old news! It has to be new to be NEWS.

Got to hit the sack…don’t want to look doped up.

There is a large brothel next door to one of our kindys. Instead of doing stories about girls, guys, and bars (which is not exactly news), they should be doing stories about Taiwanese who put brothels next to schools.

Not so, unless the reporter wants to have his or hers knee-caps crushed with an iron bar.

Apart from that, there are brothels all over this island. However, that is “Clean” Taiwanese men fucking paid mainland women without condoms. Young foreign men kissing girls in bars are dirty westerners fondling the national treasure. (And mostly using rubber I hope). That is different.

I usually steer away from the controversial threads, but heres my NT$2 about this whole incident.

People will think what they want no matter what you try to show them.

I’m assuming this thread is a result of the fake Carnegie’s ad making the rounds lately, and the resulting news segments. Even before these news segments came out, there were many people who already thought about foreigners in the way the segments portrayed. The stereotypes are already out there, and just so happened to make the news because of the fake Carnegie’s ad. Despite this, not everyone thinks that way, but the people who do, will think that way regardless of what they see on the news.

If anything, this is actually a taste of the negative stereotyping that people of Asian descent have to put up in the Western world on a daily basis. Sure, the stereotypes may be about different things, but they are still negative stereotypes. Despite huge political correctness campaigns recently, the stereotypes still exist and are stronger than ever. You just can’t be as open about them anymore. You can’t change people who have already made up their mind.

That said, I wouldn’t worry about this too much, life goes on. The stereotypes will always be there no matter what you put on the news. Over time, no one will remember these news segments, or the fake Carnegie’s ad. Those who believed negative stereotypes before will continue to do so. Those who are more open minded will continue to be open minded.

Ha ha… you’re funny.

But even if that were true, does that make it ok?
“Oh, well, there’s more racism somewhere else in the world, so we foreigners in Taiwan have no right to complain or try to correct injustices.”

[quote=“littleiron”][quote=“Ben”]
If anything, this is actually a taste of the negative stereotyping that people of Asian descent have to put up in the Western world on a daily basis. Sure, the stereotypes may be about different things, but they are still negative stereotypes. Despite huge political correctness campaigns recently, the stereotypes still exist and are stronger than ever.
[/quote]

Ha ha… you’re funny.

But even if that were true, does that make it ok?
“Oh, well, there’s more racism somewhere else in the world, so we foreigners in Taiwan have no right to complain or try to correct injustices.”[/quote]

Whether it is true or not is definitely debatable. I won’t debate this here, because a discussion of negative stereotypes about people of Asian descent in Western popular culture has been beat to death in many Western country’s university classes, books, research, etc.

No, absolutely not, it does not make it ok. The point that I was trying to make is not whether it’s ok or not. From my experiences in my home country, trying to change people’s minds on these kinds of things is kind of futile. Even with the huge political correctness campaigns, you aren’t erasing negative stereotypes. You can definitely complain. I complain sometimes too. Correcting injustices? Sure, you can try, but realistically, you aren’t actually changing anyone’s mind. If it makes you feel better though, then that in itself is the reward. :smiley: Conversely, I don’t think a segment on the news will significantly change the opinion of people who were more open minded to begin with.

Those who believe negative stereotypes will continue to believe them no matter what you show them or how much you protest. I’ve since let go, and not cared what those people think, and chose to associate with more open minded individuals.

Good post, Ben.

I agree with what you said, but I guess I’m still an idealist (which unfortunatly normally turn into bitter people… :frowning: ). I guess I don’t mind getting mad at the injustices I see, as at least my anger/sadness/dealing with stuff makes my small circle of friends reflect and think about issues and themselves, something which seems to be a far too uncommon occurrence in any country these days.

To be honest, I think perhaps people in Taiwan do need to complain more, as I think that might be the first step to bringing certain issues to light, which might lead to more discussion of them. (As opposed to the US, where people seem to complain about too much… or at least things that aren’t things that need to be complained about). Too many people seem to just ‘put up with stuff’ because ‘that’s just how it is.’ This just in turn lets this ‘stuff’ continue unabated… no one’s complaining, so why change it?

That being said, I would like to complain that there’s not enough money in my bank account. I think we should all get together, and do something about this. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think that there are plenty of smart people out there who have incorrect notions about folks who are different from them. Sometimes these otherwise good people need to meet a member of the group they distrust before they’ll come to the realization that they were dead wrong about that particular group.

I think that negative stereotypes can be reinforced on good people, which is part of what makes these media reports insidious. The folks who believe them aren’t necessarily close-minded. Some are a bit intellectually lazy. Many lack a ready source of information to the contrary. I’d love to see a program that breaks down stereotypes, but I’m pretty sure it would never float here. The media seems to prefer simplicity, and generalization.

This is all a sexpot in a temptress. FORMOSA made me say that. Sorry. He meant “a temptress in a sexpot.”

I call it sexual fear. Like when black men date white women. When Algerian men date French girls. When Nigerian men date Swedish women. When Caucasian men (bald, fat, losers) date Taiwanese girls (long-haired, thin, top of the heap). Global sexual fears?

Whose kidding whose?