Setting Up an Online School

Hi Everyone

I have my Web site, my products and a marketing campaign. The school provides 1-to-1 and group critical thinking, logic and English classes to adults.
Next step is to register as a business.
At the moment I’m the only teacher, but I hope to expand in the future and hire part-time hourly online teachers. I have an APRC and a Taiwanese friend to help with paperwork.
I have zero experience in business, only as a teacher and a journalist. I am looking to do as much of this on my own as possible.
Would an LLC be my best bet?
Do I need to invest capital?
What are the mistakes which people generally make in setting up businesses here?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

1 Like

Hi! Here is the CPA I recommend that will help you get set up. He speaks English. You’ll need a CPA to get set up with a company.

Thanks Marco, I will look them up if I get stuck.

You will. It’s almost impossible to do it by yourself. You will almost certainly need a CPA to open and run a business here.

You’ll also need to do VAT, or as I like to call it, GST, every two months. It’s completely in Chinese. If you’re not paying your friend to do it as it’s quite complex, when getting started.

Eventually I have taught myself how to do it for my own company. But often when you build a relationship with a CPA, they will do them for you for a small monthly fee. You’ll also need to calculate income taxes, of which the CPA will do in a way to help you save on your taxes as if you’re just starting up, you probably won’t have an inhouse accounting team.

Ok, a CPA sounds like a good way to avoid a domestic meltdown when the process gets complex. I will definitely keep that in mind, thank you.