Setting up Supermemo for your Palm

You can copy and paste entries from the dictionary or type them manually. You can make some of the buttons on your palm the dictionary and supermemo quick buttons, that way you can switch back and fourth really easily.

[quote=“JoH”]Also, I have tried importing databases from a text file, but the Chinese words just come out as question marks (although the English text comes through ok). I don’t have a real Chinese input package set up on my pc (just a little microsoft internet explorer language pack). Do I need to install something better? (I’m using CJKOS on the palm, by the way.)

Thanks for your help, Jo[/quote]

Have you tried the supermemo converter? [CLICK HERE]
I haven’t tried it yet because I prefer doing it all manually. I’ll test it for it’s Chinese capabilities and post what I find out. What databases are you going to try to make. I’ve already made databases for the vocabulary in Shida’s boooks 1 and 2 shang4 (I already posted the links to download them in a previous post). Right now I’m working on book 2 xia4 and that Fast East 3000 most frequent characters. I’d already almost be done except the free trial ran out on Palm Dragon, so I have to register it now.

Thanks Miltownkid. Yes, I have been copying and pasting from the dictionary. Its just that I have 600 flashcards already set up in there and I was hoping to transfer them all in one go… Oh well, I suppose going through them one at a time will do me good.

And, yes, I have tried the converter. I typed stuff into a text file in word and then converted it. The converter seemed to work ok, just that the chinese characters don’t come through. I’ll be interested to know if you can get it to work.

Re databases, I’m working through a textbook called ‘guided reading in journalistic chinese’ (xinwen hanyu daodu). It has some useful vocab in it and I’ve been meaning to learn it for a while. The dictionary flashcards that I want to convert are ones I set up for doing the HSK test.

thanks for your help, Jo

Thank you for getting me to check that out. It does work and I’ll be able to make databases much faster this way. I tested making it using a text editor and Microsoft Word. The stuff I type in the text editor came out as gibberish, but the characters I typed into Microsoft Word came through perfectly.

I used the “Tab delimited file format”. I followed the instructions [HERE]

Well, I’m glad it worked for you, but I still can’t get it to work. Which Chinese package are you using with Word (or is it the Chinese version of Word?).

:smiley: Finally got it to work by saving as an encoded file from word. (I’d been trying all the various text formats before that …)

Thanks for your help!
Jo

Has anyone started collecting Supermemo Chinese databases? Any particular sites you visit for these? I would be interested in hosting some for others to download. I also plan on creating some myself.

Kong

Check out this program! It’s a flashcard program specifically for learning Chinese characters. It has it’s own big, beautiful fonts. It has lessons already programmed in. You don’t even need a chinese OS. It’s simply amazing and best of all is the price - free.

I fussed for ages trying to get Supermemo to work for me with CJKOS with things like fonthackV. This was painless to setup, has excellent excellent fonts - and you can add more, has seperate spaces for pinyin and translation, comes with lessons - it’s excellent stuff. Go get it now!

[quote=“konglong”]Has anyone started collecting Supermemo Chinese databases? Any particular sites you visit for these? I would be interested in hosting some for others to download. I also plan on creating some myself.

Kong[/quote]

I’ve made a radicals database, for learning the meanings of the 214 radicals. If you’re really motivated, you could also download the cedict dictionary, open in it excel, and convert that into a supermemo database. 26,000 new words to learn! There’s a link in one of the previous posts to the Supermemo instructions which explain how to convert from excel. But make sure you do it in manageable chunks, or else it’ll take forever to sync the new database (I gave up after about 8 hours).

I can’t seem to get information from Excel/Word/Notepad into Supermemo.

English text converts fine, but Chinese characters don’t display properly on Supermemo.

I have my Excel/Word/Notepad set up for Big-5 display and I save as:
Excel: tab delimited
Word: text
Notepad: text, encoding: unicode or UTF-8

I’m missing something simple but can’t figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

[quote=“hippo”]I can’t seem to get information from Excel/Word/Notepad into Supermemo.

English text converts fine, but Chinese characters don’t display properly on Supermemo.

I have my Excel/Word/Notepad set up for Big-5 display and I save as:
Excel: tab delimited
Word: text
Notepad: text, encoding: unicode or UTF-8

I’m missing something simple but can’t figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance![/quote]The Palm OS doesn’t do Unicode. You could try setting the encoding to Big5.

Joe,

The key, as you wrote, is to make sure that everything is set for Big5.

1. I set my keyboard display for Big5.
  2. I used Word2007 and saved the text file as PLAIN TEXT.
  3. When asked for encoding, I selected Big5.
    The file now saves in a format Supermemo can digest.

So far, I haven’t been able to find a way to set encoding to Big5 for Excel, NotePad or WordPad.

Thanks again, Joe!