Shanmei, Xinmei and Chashan Villages?

Has anybody traveled on road 129 to the aborigine villages of Shanmei, Xinmei and Chashan in recent months? I am planning a trip later in March driving up from the south via the Zhengwen Reservoir. There also used to be a road from Chashan into the Sanmin Valley (Namasia). Does anybody know if that road is still around after the typhoons of recent years? Thank you for your help. Any info is appreciated.

It would be in horrendous shape now if it has reopened. Contact Richard at Barking Deer as he has friends from Sanmin and would know. Last time we talked about it though the road was closed. You would need a 4WD likely in this area.

The back road from Chashan to Namasia was open and fine for scooters as of two/three weeks, when I was last up in Namasia. I didn’t drive/ride it, but a friend did on a 125cc laden with gear and dog. The road from Jiaxian to Namasia is currently in pristine condition, though this is unlikely to last through the summer as it follows the riverbed for considerable stretches.

Thanks, that’s helpful, what about the road from Zhengwen Reservoir up to Chashan and Xinmei? Does anybody have any recent experience with that?

I haven’t been up it in over a year, but I’m told it’s much better than it was. Then it was very rough between the reservoir and Chashan, but absolutely fine between Chashan and points north (and quite beautiful, to boot).

When I say very rough, I mean barely doable on a scooter, and not at all good for normal cars. I believe a new bridge has been completed which means you no longer have to ford small streams…

I haven’t been up it in over a year, but I’m told it’s much better than it was. Then it was very rough between the reservoir and Chashan, but absolutely fine between Chashan and points north (and quite beautiful, to boot).

When I say very rough, I mean barely doable on a scooter, and not at all good for normal cars. I believe a new bridge has been completed which means you no longer have to ford small streams…[/quote]

Thanks, I might just give it a try later this month.

Let us know how you get on.