Share your Taiwan Salary Anonymously

To be fair that was me. I’m not really hiding anything re tsmc.

But to be fair would you rather have your comp in guaranteed salary? Or would you rather have it based on this random rubric of profit generated/number of employees?

1 Like

Seems too cheap still.

im in da park

1 Like

Many single men

2 Likes

Eating dinner at 7 11, playing WoW all night long sigh

2 Likes

This is impossible for me. Eight months of the year I work two jobs. For four months only one.

Now that’s living.

2 Likes

it’s not massively difficult to figure out, JP.

1 Like

Lazy git.

2 Likes

Off-topic but, at some point the pyramid inverts. Over the last ten or twenty years many grandkids have been rolling in money. Think of it like this in the optimum case. 4 grandparents>2 parents> 1kid. Funneling the cash to the grandkid
Then later that grandkid has to support 2 parents (in theory)1>2 (so they got money from four people but only need to distribute back into 3 at most) because often they don’t have their own kids so they only need to support themselves and parents in worst case.

Now if they marry and it’s to another single kid possibly supporting their own parents and then they have a kid they have to raise them that’s a different story. The greatgrandkid doesn’t get to enjoy so much ‘free money’ as that has already been distributed to the parents and started to be chewed away by healthcare costs.

But I think many people will still be well off here due to the low birth rate and huge savings rates and asset holdings (not only locally but internationally).

1 Like

I lived paycheck to paycheck pretty much the whole time I’m in Taiwan. When you can’t even earn over 25,000 and cost of living burns all of it.

2 Likes

Life might be telling you get another job and turn what you are doing into a hobby. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Wait, so to get an annual salary figure, multiply the monthly salaries in the document by 13-14? That’s interesting. I work in the US, but I’m super curious about annual salaries and cost of living in Taiwan.

3 Likes

Been doing that but it earns less because I’m not getting work. It’s better than busy all the time and only earning 28,000

When negotiating a salary in Taiwan, most locals know to ask for a basic total package that is thirteen to fourteen months. You get that extra month or two paid to at Chinese new year. Better employers will then offer some kind of profit sharing bonus or performance bonus also ( not everybody gets 13 or 14 months standard…But many do ).

Most foreigners don’t really know that, so they get the 13th and 14th month as a discretionary bonus and the bosses then stiff them. Happened to me often so I should know. The Taiwanese coworkers would be getting their extra month or two as negotiated and they would just give me half a month or whatever because in their head the bosses were clawing back my higher monthly salary that I negotiated. Happened in multiple places. Very very stingy and tricky managers and business owners in Taiwan !!!

That’s why I always always tell foreigners to be fully aware of the total salary package and to avoid the salary being put into variable compensation as much as possible. Because many bosses think they overpaid you and in their head they will be clawing that back by being very stingy on compensation .

I have worked in at least seven different full time jobs in different companies and government and academic depts in Taiwan I know what I’m talking about .

10 Likes

50k/month plus (about 3k worth of) free rent

Given the number of Taiwanese people making less than 30,000 and how hard they must work for it (basically 10 hours a day easily), I’d say majority of Taiwanese bosses will pay you less if they can. Bosses could easily take home over 300,000 a month while their workers make a tenth of that if they’re lucky.

Basically under Taiwanese boss’s mind, to make anything over 30,000 you have to justify 2 people’s salary of 22,000.

The only people who are saving are baby boomers who makes far more than their children.

1 Like

Does Roy Ngerng read forumosa? : D

Guy

1 Like

50k is considered high salary in London? It seems rough unless you’re single. Rent is expensive.

The is pretty shocking.

Not only that, Estonia and Slovakia had only 3.5% and 18.7% of Taiwan’s minimum wage in 1995. Today, their minimum wages are now more than 80% that of Taiwan’s, which is about where most of the other East European countries have caught up to.

2 Likes