She says she's conservative - is this for real?

Well, put simply, there’s Spin and then there’s tea houses. You don’t meet many 30 year-old virgins at Spin, at tea houses, however . . .

She’s may also want to appear to be a “nice girl” even if she does bang like a dunny door in a storm.

HG

I’ve been here for seven years, and I know that women here are far more conservative (at first, as Jaboney pointed out) than Western women. You don’t seem to accept that, which explains why you think there’s something ‘wrong’ with your girlfriend for not letting you kiss her.

That you insulted this poor girl by telling her you thought she would have had lots of boyfriends tells me that you need to take it slow for your own good. Taiwanese girls, even the three who threw themselves at you in a single night, do not want anyone to think they have had lots of boyfriends. You need to learn a little more about her point of view, as you should any woman.

Put yourself in her shoes - completely - and try to understand. Don’t change her; she has to carry on living in this culture after you leave. If she is not comfortable kissing you, you must respect that, no matter where she’s from. It’s noble that you have no other designs on her, but, to her, kissing is as serious as engagement is to a Western girl. You are asking her to make a huge jump after only knowing you for a few months.

The lady holds your hand in public - if you knew a little more about Taiwanese women, you’d know that that is a huge thing for her and a great honour she is bestowing upon you. You need to readjust your yardstick, my friend, because currently it isn’t calibrated for Taiwan. :wink:[/quote]

I nominate Stray dog to be co-mod for the D&R forum. You’ve been on point with your posts here. :bravo: At least with me you have :wink: .

yeah, agree with everything they said above.

also, you could try to find a girl who’s more mature than a Western 12-year-old. they are out there, trust me

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“Stray Dog”] Rather than expecting your lady friend to forget her culture, perhaps you could forget yours?
[/quote] :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

That is the best advice I’ve read on the boards about cultural relations. BRAVO man. That was a gem![/quote]

This is good, even essential advice. However, it is sometimes difficult to know exactly what that “her culture” is. Attentive observation, listening to your intuition, and asking an ocassional pointed question helps me.

I’d also advise you to take it easy. I think you’re too keyed up about this, and obsessing over a relationship can be a big turn-off to the other person. Relax, invest in and enjoy your own life, and take your time getting to know her. A man truly at ease with himself (as opposed to a man who is pretending to be at ease with himself) is very sexy–at the end of the night, give her a hug, plant a quick one on her cheek, and whistle your way home to something you look forward to, e.g. a book, a movie, deep sleep, whatever.

[quote=“jonnygard70”]

also, you could try to find a girl who’s more mature than a Western 12-year-old. they are out there, trust me[/quote]
Just because a girl wants to take things REALLY slowly doesn’t mean she is immature. I actually think it shows personal strength on her part.

I agree with Tomas! I very agree with him, La!

personal strength? go watch Oprah

immaturity, plain and simple

actual women know what they want and don’t play games

[quote=“jonnygard70”]

actual women know what they want and don’t play games[/quote]

She knows what she wants: to take it nice and slow.

[quote=“jonnygard70”]personal strength? go watch Oprah

immaturity, plain and simple

actual women know what they want and don’t play games[/quote]

Actually, ‘actual’ people know what they want and don’t play games and troll the boards. Besides what’s an actual woman? :wink:

[quote=“ginkgo”]I said to her last night, “I assumed because you are very pretty and sweet that you’ve had boyfriends” and she said not many.
[/quote]

Now you know why.

You need to use a little pressure or nothing will ever change.

I am a Taiwanese girl. I used to date a foreigner for two years.
I think this girl likes you. Maybe, she hesitated because she was lack of security since you mentioned that you had a plan to be away. In my opinion, it is a big thing to a Taiwanese girl to declare that you are her excusive partner. For her,

1 Like

kitty -
Thank you for your post. You add what maybe the woman is really thinking.
This should be important in their relationship.
Very good perspective to have from you.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]kitty -
Very good perspective to have from you.[/quote]

Cheers~! :sunglasses:
Kitty

[quote=“kitty”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]kitty -
Very good perspective to have from you.[/quote]

Cheers~! :sunglasses:
Kitty
[/quote]

I second that. Even as a guy, I would be a little apprehensive to get involved in a relationship if A.) there didn’t seem to be any real future in it (why waste emotional energy and time IMO), and B.) if she already said she was leaving at the end of the year…

I’d say this bodes well. You can be more certain that she will be faithful to you.

Well, put simply, there’s Spin and then there’s tea houses. You don’t meet many 30 year-old virgins at Spin, at tea houses, however . . .

She’s may also want to appear to be a “nice girl” even if she does bang like a dunny door in a storm.

HG[/quote]

Tell her you’ve won the lottery. I have found that an antidote to Taiwanese girls’ “conservatism” in the past. Remember hearing exactly the same lament from a guy I tought with years ago… turned out the girl was torn between her Taiwanese boyfriend, and her foreign “boyfriend”. Make sure you’re being taken seriously, my friend, it’s not always as it seems. No disrespect to your G/F if indeed she turns out to be merely shy. I also knew a guy who really loved a Taiwanese girl who was shagging his brains out and holding back on her Taiwanese boyfriend/fiancee whom she apparently told she was a virgin. This guy (foreigner) who did not of course know about the other chappie was really upset when she dumped him and left Taiwan in disgust mad fool that he was. And so on. Anyway, just make sure you’re not being used as some sort of crash test dummy.