Shengang District + Short term Rent

I’m thinking of moving to Taichung as a foreign English teacher in Shengang district. However, I can’t find any information on Shengang district anywhere on the internet apart from Wikipedia (it doesn’t even appear in any rental websites as a location option). Would anyone be able to tell me absolutely anything about Shengang district and living there?

Also, I’m currently trying to find a furnished apartment and what are the chances that that would be available and that a landlord would let me have a shorter term lease (e.g. 6 months)?

Shengang in Changhua near the coast?

Shengang northeast of Taichung airport?

Both places are off the beaten path so to speak, not super close to a major city. Small town feeling, which in Taiwan can mean lots of people, farms and buildings but nothing happening, or no people, farms, and nothing happening.

1 Like

Shengang district the, district right next to (west of) Fengyuan district, if that helps.

My agency says this area isn’t necessarily rural, just suburban. Is this true? Do you think I’d have a hard time finding a decent place to live and with a shorter lease?

Northeast of Taichung airport, yes! *

3 Likes

Are you familiar with the 591 rental site that Marco referenced? If so, you can filter by area (神岡區 as Marco shows) and also by short-term lease (可短期租賃 the blue circled part below):

As of right now, here’s a link to rentals available in Shengang from 591.com.tw (18 on the list)

Here is the same list but with the short-term lease filter checked (now down to 3 on the list)

4 Likes

Thank you for your help!!! I am familiar with the site, but was using it through the Google Chrome English Translation, so maybe it wasn’t coming through in the translation. Gives me a bit of hope that I’ll have somewhere to live!

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

I don’t know if I would lock into something before arriving. Good information but you never know you might find something after you arrive or find a better location or find someone who just has rooms to rent or something you like better.

2 Likes

West coast of Taiwan is built up the whole way up and down. There’s always accommodation. The term “suburban” doesn’t really apply in Taiwan.

2 Likes

Ha, yeah, I think suburban here means a 7-Eleven on every other corner.

1 Like

So it’s not quite a village/rural, not quite a suburb, not quite a city but still has the close-by conveniences of 7-Eleven, bakeries, grocery stores etc.?

Good tip, thanks! Good info for sure, was starting to think the place and the people who lived there didn’t exist or have access to Internet.

Do you need to live in the district?

I realize I’m a half-year late on this topic, but I used to live in Shengang (Taichung), though I worked in nearby Fengyuan. I would describe the district as semi-urban, with most of the requirements of modern-day life (convenience stores, supermarkets etc.). However, life in Shengang is dull, and foreigners are not a common sight. You would probably spend most of your free time in what used to be Taichung before the city and county merged, or at least in Fengyuan, where there are more restaurants, in addition to a department store.

Incidentally, I’m also reminded of the one time I was in the other Shengang, in Changhua. I stopped at a small roadside restaurant to have some lunch while en route to Lugang. After lunch, I walked into a nearby 7-Eleven to get a newspaper and a drink, and saw a Western woman in there. Surprised to see another waiguoren in the middle of nowhere, I asked her if she lived in Shengang. She looked at me with a very tired expression, sighed and said “yeah”. Based on her state of being, I wouldn’t advise anyone to live and work in Changhua’s Shengang.