Shi da area assault warning

quote:
Originally posted by Mwalimu: Oh, come on guys! Xj2 started a very specific thread - intended to provide a useful warning about a potentially dangerous individual in the ShiDa area.... What the frick are you crapping on about corssets and foot binding for?

Start a new thread - I’m sure it will be a real winner.

My apology.

Foot binding

i applaud the woman who started this thread…very good thinking on your feet…the screaming was a stroke of genious

however, about the “taking an agressive posture” thing…i wouldnt suggest this as a “normal” response…sounds like two more steps and the guy wouldve slapped, punched or kicked you…or worse…

also, i doubt that every woman would respond as well as you did…for less confrontational women, they might combine the screaming part with a mad dash to the nearest convenience store…

BTW, you might try fnding an art student or someone to get a sketch of the guy, copy it and post it all over the area…since it seems the police are going to be “taiwanese” about this situation…

(And b4 you flame me for saying “being Taiwanese” about this, when it comes to crimes against women, the police here couldnt care less…an american woman friend of mine was raped in her apartment in taichung a few years back, and the police and her taiwanese “rape psychologist” both suggested that, “you move to a new apartment” and no attempt was made to find the guy…)

xj2,

I’d have to agree with noshrink, it’s good you posted this.

Maybe it’s a good idea to buy some mase, you can buy it in Taiwan in several places. I’m sure this guy would not have been expecting it and would have taught him a lesson.

Jeff
jeff@oriented.org

No Shrink makes some very good points, but I disagree with the not taking an ‘aggressive posture’ approach. Obviously it depends a great deal on the individual situation, but in the states women are generally told that if you show confidence/anger instead of fear, most attackers will turn on their heels and flee. They don’t want trouble, and they can always find a victim that won’t cause it, as there are so many women around. I would venture this technique is even more effective in Taiwan, as these eunichs (I’m referring to these kinds of attackers) tend to be even more timid from what I’ve seen, combined with the stereotype of foreign women generally being tougher (whether true or not).
The best technique by far is running and SHOUTING! But if someone is following you at some distance for a while, just turn around in a confident, loud voice and say something like “are you following me?” It works very well most of the time.

On a similar note, are women’s self-defense classes offered in Taiwan? I haven’t seen anything like this yet here…

Our victim is unique even exceptional, as even she admitted, but I do have some reservations about kicking over the bicycle for most other women in such situations at 2:50 A.M. No doubt the enuch had it coming, but the idea of such aggressive moves “after” the threat has past is not wisdom. I am afraid that most self-defense classes will only imbue one with a false sense of self-confidence. Unless she is an experienced fighter, like having many brothers, I would think twice.

Definitely don’t even attempt it in Korea as the reaction will be very different. But then you’ll see the drunken pervert get a brutal whipping if your Korean boyfriend and buddies can locate him later.

VERY good point. If self-defense classes consist of a course this is only a few hours, it should almost soley focus on how a woman alone should act and behave, NOT on actual techniques on how to physically defend oneself. I’ve seen many such classes where they show a bunch of moves that they would never remember when it comes to crunch time because they are not trained. That is clearly the wrong way to go with these classes, as Taiwanstatus points out. (this is also why I don’t like those ‘taebo’ classes that don’t repeatedly make the point that you’re not learning self-defense; they give false confidence).

Does anyone know of any good women’s self-defense classes/courses? Perhaps some should be organized…

Taebo is great for “kick-@ss” cardio workouts but nothing more. Try finding Kungfu masters to teach something of value. But then realize that street fighting is not choregraphed and weapons render a fist as obsolete. This sort of prepared person is not likely to be your average pervert, but acting out a potential career path of a sex criminal. A relatively harmless pervert is a male flasher on American college campuses, or a groper on wheels in Taiwan.

If anything is of value in self-defense, it is to just learn to loudly scream, to run far away, to give knee kicks to the little bird (eg. family jewels), and to scratch his eyeballs out with your keys as the last instance of self-defense. Ultimately live to fight another day, and that day is your day in court. Exceptional women who lift serious weights, or even Big Bertha throwing around some weight, can think for themselves. Twiggy needs to think twice.

Don’t forget to get his taxi number as he could also probably be a Taipei cab driver at 2:50 am as most normal people have to get up for work. And get an artist’s sketch made for the area.

Unfortunately I think this is rather common in Taiwan—breast groping that is. I saw some creep do it to a school girl last year and an ABC friend of mine had it done to her in another city. The scooter makes for a quick getaway you see.

I’ve been in Taiwan just over a year, and being of Chinese descent many people take me for a being a local. I’ve not had any problems or harassment from local men, but twice I’ve had creepy Western guys hitting on me/harassing me, one in a park (in daylight), the other on a train.

Tan, which one is it, hit on or harassed? And on a train, mmm quite interesting, as I’ve noticed that generally no one even talks on the trains here. A foreigner on a train usually gets 5 or so stares, a foreigner speaking on a train would probably get 10 stares, and a foreigner hitting on a girl would probably draw the attention of the entire carriage. Are you sure he wasn’t asking you how to get to HePing?

i think you guys are too much focused on taiwan or chinese on this cases, rapists are everywhere and no matter in which country you live, women are never 100% save! and no matter in which country, usually they don’t find the rapists unless the catch him in flagrante delicto the next time…

quote:
Originally posted by Michele: i think you guys are too much focused on taiwan or chinese on this cases...

Since most of us are either foreigners living in Taiwan or Taiwanese, what would be the point in discussing rape cases in say…Zaire?

I lived in Taiwan before the MRT. A lot of my adult female students talked about being felt up on the buses. Watch out for any crowded area where it’s hard to get away, and I would only take cabs that you had to call for first.

I don’t think you have to be that paranoid, but maybe I am wrong…?

Based on many years of observation, analysis, and hearsay, I believe that statistics will show that there are a lot more of these BAD INCIDENTS in the late hours, and very early morning hours.

Based on the above conclusion, I am going to make a remark here that a lot of people are not going to like. My remark is: Why not make it a habit to be home by 11:00 pm??

When I relate stories such as the ones in this thread to many of my Taiwanese friends, they state that it is to be expected that there are a bunch of wierd people on the streets at 2:50 am. The question becomes: Why do you want to be there “associating with these wierd people”?

If you watch the Taiwan TV news for a few weeks, you can see all sorts of shootings, fights, assaults, and other BAD INCIDENTS which happened in a bar or pub in the early morning hours. In my opinion, it is a good idea to stay out of these places at those times. In fact, this strikes me as common sense.

I am certainly not trying put blame for what happened on the innocent victum, but what I am saying is that various precautionary measures are appropriate for the future.

I lived in West Philadelphia for many years, and that is generally considered a rough neighborhood. We usually didn’t go out late at night except in groups.