Shilin

Yo Residents of Taiwan… Since my fiancee lives in Shilin, I’d like to know a little bit about the area. How is the area like? Can I walk to parks, ride to biking trails, walk to night markets? I just don’t want to be bored when I get there during the weekdays as my fiancee will be working…

(other than the flower garden mentioned in the other post)

Yes, yes and yes. You can also walk to mountain hiking trails.

Animals Taiwan has a rescue centre in ShiLin full of happy and lovable dogs and cats just waiting for people like you to come and take them for walks or play with them.

The Rescue Centre currently has about 60 dogs who would just love to show you some lovely riverside walks in the area.

Call Brandy on 02 2833 8820, from 10 am until 6 pm for more information (sometimes the staff are unable to get to the phone, so keep trying or leave a message).

See you there!

If you’re within walking distance of the MRT you have the whole of Taipei to explore.

even if you are not within walking distance, I’m sure there will be a bus to take you to either Taipei city or a mrt :wink:

I live in Shilin now and I really can’t imagine living anywhere else. So far its the best location for convenience I have lived in. I have Yan-Min mountain for cycle rides, walks, drives. There are many parks nearby. There’s the science museum, astronomical museum for my kid, Taipei European school (again for kids). Tienmu is just up the road, and between there and Shilin there are many, many foreign restaurants and import stores from clothes to food. Shilin has the famous night market. It has Shilin MRT station which links up to Danshui. Nice little bars dotted around too. The best thing is it isn’t that expensive as many of the apartments here are older, although there are of course apartments catering for the Uber rich too on the mountain with swimming pools and big gardens. There’s a bit of everything really, and now they’re even short of opening a SOGO store just up the road to compete with Tienmu’s Takashimia.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Animals Taiwan has a rescue centre in Shilin full of happy and lovable dogs and cats just waiting for people like you to come and take them for walks or play with them.

The Rescue Centre currently has about 60 dogs who would just love to show you some lovely riverside walks in the area.

Call Brandy on 02 2833 8820, from 10 am until 6 pm for more information (sometimes the staff are unable to get to the phone, so keep trying or leave a message).

See you there![/quote]

I might just do that! Do I have to pickup after them if they do the nasty? Don’t mind though.

Ha! Yes, please. Good news is that we feed a natural raw diet, and their poop is dry and solid, so easy to pick up in a leaf and throw away, or even just kick into the river.

We think of everything. :wink:

Now is perfect-dog-walking weather. Afternoons are better for walking, as staff and volunteers are busy feding and cleaning until about 1 pm.

See you there soon. :thumbsup:

Take easy. Boring in Taipei? no way.
A ShiLin night market can spend you lots of nights to eat and see.
and there’s a MRT station just near the market that can bring you to DanShue which is beautiful and again lots of stuff to eat.
And many many things to do… and cheap.
Ready to party, ok :discodance:

Shilin has several buses headed up Yangmingshan, the night market, a zillion good restaurants, a nice B&Q location (for fixing up your own place), and even a movie theater. The movie theater offers extra value because the thin walls mean you can hear a second movie while you watch the first. The fried-chicken stand in front of the movie theater (the one that usually has long lines) is the best fried chicken on the planet. I’m not 100% sure if it is still there, but the area over by the Holiday KTV (the big building wih a triangular front) had a go-kart racing track in the basement.

You forgot the Miramar in Tianmu, or do you not consider Tianmu part of Shilin?