Shin Kong Bank

So I work in Taoyuan City (Zhongli) and my ARC address is New Taipei City.

Shin Kong Bank told me I can’t open a bank account in Zhongli because my ARC is linked to New Taipei City and I must go open it there. Well how the f$@k do I get to New Taipei City before 3.30pm and I can’t go on Saturday.

Anyone been told this before? I feel like they just didn’t want to deal with me…

That’s nonsense, I lived in new Taipei and opened a bank account close to work in Taipei city without a problem.
If you have to use that bank due to work depositing your salary there, ask your work place to give them a call. Should solve the problem.

1 Like

Was really weird. The teller asked me “Why do you want to open a bank account?” I said, “My new job banks with you so I need an account”.

She ignored me, started phoning people and I was just sitting there, she hands me the phone and it is my co-teacher at my current job (wtf…) and she tells me that I can’t open an account there because my ARC address says Tamsui and that is NTC and I am in Taoyuan City (Zhongli) blah blah blah. The manager was right there and didn’t say anything. She says it is a Shin Kong Bank rule.

I will phone customer service myself and if that doesn’t resolve anything then I will get my new work to phone their head office and see what they can do.

This is so Taiwan. Watching this to see what happens…

1 Like

I’ve never posted here before, but I had to for this one. I literally had the exact opposite situation occur when I switched jobs about a month ago (different bank, but they’re all kind of the same in Taiwan). I live in Xindian but work near 101. I went to a branch of Cathay Bank in Xindian to open an account. They asked me why I was opening an account, and I explained because my new employer banks with them. They asked me where the company was, and after I told them it was near 101, they said I couldn’t open an account in Xindian. I explained that I lived in Xindian and showed them my APRC. They kept telling me I couldn’t open an account and started ignoring me. In the end, I had to call my new boss and get him to give the bank a hard time until they let me open an account.

This happens at a lot of banks in Taiwan, but I don’t think it has much to do with bank policies set by their corporate offices. I would guess that it’s usually either: a) Individual tellers feel uncomfortable dealing with foreigners because they don’t do it very often and may not feel confident filing the extra paperwork to send to the individual’s home country, or b) Their direct supervisors have told them a blanket statement that applies in most, but not all cases, such as, “All customers should open accounts close where they live/work.” Again, I don’t know, but that would be my guess.

Anyway, Sorry for your current situation. Based on my own experience, I would suggest getting your boss or manager to call the bank directly and give them a hard time. It sounds childish, but it often works in Taiwan.

4 Likes

@Zapman @Mac_Jay Are you two American? If so, that might be the reluctance. I think there are US laws that require banks to provide info about Americans overseas.

actually it’s a one page form.
it’s W-8.
should just be a formality to sign and for bank to collect from you.
next time mention W-8 to show them you are more informed.

I am South African.

1 Like

Yes, I’m American. That’s sort of what I meant by my first point about individual tellers not wanting to deal or not feeling confident with the paperwork required by the American government. I’ve opened a lot of bank accounts in Taiwan over the years, and every time they see my passport, they get a little timid. I can sympathize to an extent. The forms are all in English, they’re not very familiar with them, and they don’t want to make a mistake. At the same time, come on. If Taiwan is going to keep up the norm of everyone needing to open an account with the bank their employer uses, then banks need to be a little more accomodating.

I phoned their help center and explained that I live in Tamsui and that address is on my ARC.
I work in Zhongli and I want to open a bank account in Zhongli due to work hours not letting me go to New Taipei City to open an account. She put me on hold and went to ask someone if I can open it in Zhongli. Surprise surprise, she said yes no problem do I know where the bank is and what to bring with.

Then I told her I know where the bank is because I went yesterday and they told me I can’t etc.

She said she will ask why and phone me in the afternoon so I said I am free 2.40-3.40 pm.

2 Likes

Always a hassle, but glad you were able to work it out.

Who knows what she will get back to me with. I also used up my bank leave for June so I can only get there in July unless I use a half day of my vacation leave.

Ok, I’m not sure about South Africa. I’ve heard of Americans getting difficult tellers at the banks, because while banks here are bloody awful to deal with, I’ve never had issues opening up an account.

Same here, I go in give them my ARC, passport and 1000nt and fill out their form. That’s it.
Get a bank book and a shiny new bank card.
I went there at 2:50 and waited until 3.13pm to be helped. Maybe she said that shit so they could close on time.

I have an acount with Xin Guang and I found they are very paperwork heavy, by far the slowest and nit picky of any bank I dealt with. I still use them though because they let you have a foreign currency account.

By far the most more bestest bank I ever dealt with in Taiwan is the post office bank. They stay open until 5pm! And they do wire transfers and stuff like that without batting an eyelid.

I worked in a bank in the U.S. during the 80s and 90s. Now that I’m in Taiwan, I’m amazed at some of the local banks’ policies and procedures which feel more antiquated 25 years later.

1 Like

Someone phoned me from an 03 number, I think Taipei is 02, and they literally let it ring for 10 seconds then hung up. Couldn’t answer in time.

I phoned the number back and there is no English option, I try pushing the options but I can’t understand shit.

Phoned the original number back, the person who I spoke to today “Sho” is not there and the person I spoke to (with 30% English) doesn’t know who it is. She asked for my number and said someone will phone me back.

Why…why…

Another guy phoned back and had 10% English, said he will phone back later :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah, that’s pretty common. Most bank tellers either don’t speak English well, or if they do, don’t feel confident discussing business with foreigners. I’d suggest having someone you work with call or going in person with a Taiwanese friend.

So after speaking to 3 or 4 different staff members through their customer helpline I eventually mentioned the school I will be working at and she said she will phone me back.

A guy named Tim phoned back who has excellent English, like “I grew up in America” English and the said that if I got a job at THAT SCHOOL then it is totally fine that I go open up a bank account in Zhongli.

I will go this week or next to see what happens.