Shingles - and availability of vaccines?

I saw that too. No indication however that’s it been approved for use in Taiwan.

Guy

Shingrix in not a form of treatment (to “sort it out”); it’s a two dose vaccine that seems pretty effective in preventing shingles from flaring up.

Guy

Yeah I know. I’m too young for it.

Glad to hear you were able to sort things out. Shingles sucks!

Guy

No news, unfortunately.
I asked around some contacts working in medicine, but there’s no indication that it will be available any time soon :frowning:

1 Like

Bummer! Thank you for asking around though. If you hear any updates, let us know.

Guy

Shingles and shingles vaccines back in the news in Taiwan.

In this piece below, Dr Chen Chih-jung (陳志榮), a professor and attending physician at Linkou Chang Gung Memorial Hospital notes:

Antiviral drugs for treating shingles have a limited effect, and the ailment could lead to post-herpetic neuralgia, so getting vaccinated against shingles and PHN for people aged 50 or older is a better option, he said.

There are two types of zoster vaccines — a live attenuated vaccine and a non-live virus recombinant vaccine, he said.

The live attenuated vaccine is similar to the varicella vaccine for chickenpox, but at least 14 times its concentration, and it can reduce the chance of developing shingles by about 50 percent.

However, that vaccine is no longer available for use in the US.

The newer recombinant vaccine has proven more than 90 percent effective in preventing shingles, and about 80 percent effective against post-herpetic neuralgia, he said.

The newer vaccine is a two-dose vaccine called Shringrix, which can be purchased in the US and in Canada. To the best of my knowledge, it is not available in Taiwan. If any of you locate it, please let us know!

Source: One in three Taiwanese are likely to develop shingles; vaccination urged - Taipei Times

Guy

2 Likes

I should add that the Shringrix side effects can be less than fun-and-games. After the first shot received in Canada, I felt fine. No problem! I thought.

Not so fast! About twelve hours later, I started to get this strange feeling, almost like a sudden blood sugar drop. This was followed by chills and shakes and an uneven body temperature which lasted on-and-off for about 48 hours. The second shot, my brother assured me, is worse. My parents, by contrast, got the two shots and told me they didn’t feel a thing.

Guy

2 Likes

Shingrix seems to be available now in Taiwan! It’s around NTD 17,000 for the two shots.
Some Taiwan friends have just made appointments with their doctors for the first shot next week, so seems to be fairly generally available.

3 Likes

Thanks for this! I got my first Shingrix shot in North America over the summer. Let’s see if I can estimate the costs . . . it was around NT$4200. I will however need that second shot, which is supposed to be received 2-6 months after the first shot.

May I ask: which hospital did your friend use? Did your friend use an NHI card? Any extra details would be appreciated. Thanks!

Guy

1 Like

We got our shingles shot at pediatric clinic in Taipei.
Taipei City Zhong Zheng District Xu Zhou Road #24
台北市中正區徐州路24號
周正成小兒科診所
What was stated above is correct? About 17000 NT. Used insurance card but insurance not covered. Out of pocket

2 Likes

That is . . . not cheap. But glad to know that it’s available in Taiwan. So thank you!

Guy

I asked about the Shingrix vaccine last week when I was at Taipei Medical University Hospital for an appointment, and was quoted 10k per shot (20k total).

Good to know I could save a bit at a clinic. But since the older, live-attenutated vaccine is covered by NHI, I wonder how long it might be until the newer one also gets covered by NHI.

3 Likes

Can confirm, the 2nd shot was much worse.

2 Likes

How long was your interval—closer to the two month minimum, or the six month maximum?

Guy

Mine was two months apart. 2nd dose wiped me out starting 12 hours from the shot, and lasting another 24 hours with fever, chills, and aches. And both shots hurt my arm like hell for a few days. Glad to have that over with.

2 Likes

Got it. I’ve heard that a shorter interval (like what you experienced) may lead to a stronger bodily response (that is, harsher side effects).

At least now you’re good for ten years, right? That part is great.

Guy

1 Like

I haven’t seen any recommendations for another shot later in life. Based on what I read online, the research hasn’t been done for the new vaccine. Hopefully I won’t need it.

2 Likes

If the recommendation is ten years between the vaccine series, I hope you do need it. That means you’re alive and well a decade from now!

Guy

Our local clinic (康樂診所) says they carry Shingrix but you have to call to see when they have it in stock; it’s $8600 per dose, x 2 there. So the $7k per sounds like the best price so far. I considered the old (live-attenuated one) but the efficacy was low, and I didn’t want shell out what at the time was around $7k or more for a vaccine that might not work.
Now that I’m immuno-compromised I regret that, as I am at high risk of shingles at present (and 58 y.o.), and when my dad got it in his 70’s it was all over the face, and excruciating. But $17,200 for a newer vaccine is not reasonable, especially not given the lower salaries on average in Taiwan. GSK really rakes in the money on these optional vaccines; I realize it costs a ton to develop drugs, and I value what they and other firms do to invent new cures and vaccines, but outrageous pricing seems to be part of the corporate culture in US pharmaceuticals. The pricing seems unethical. It’s too bad they don’t make them affordable; they might make more $ overall if they lowered the price and more people got them, and they put it out of reach of many, so the poor suffer.

4 Likes