Shingles - and availability of vaccines?

I saw that too. No indication however that’s it been approved for use in Taiwan.

Guy

Shingrix in not a form of treatment (to “sort it out”); it’s a two dose vaccine that seems pretty effective in preventing shingles from flaring up.

Guy

Yeah I know. I’m too young for it.

Glad to hear you were able to sort things out. Shingles sucks!

Guy

No news, unfortunately.
I asked around some contacts working in medicine, but there’s no indication that it will be available any time soon :frowning:

1 Like

Bummer! Thank you for asking around though. If you hear any updates, let us know.

Guy

Shingles and shingles vaccines back in the news in Taiwan.

In this piece below, Dr Chen Chih-jung (陳志榮), a professor and attending physician at Linkou Chang Gung Memorial Hospital notes:

Antiviral drugs for treating shingles have a limited effect, and the ailment could lead to post-herpetic neuralgia, so getting vaccinated against shingles and PHN for people aged 50 or older is a better option, he said.

There are two types of zoster vaccines — a live attenuated vaccine and a non-live virus recombinant vaccine, he said.

The live attenuated vaccine is similar to the varicella vaccine for chickenpox, but at least 14 times its concentration, and it can reduce the chance of developing shingles by about 50 percent.

However, that vaccine is no longer available for use in the US.

The newer recombinant vaccine has proven more than 90 percent effective in preventing shingles, and about 80 percent effective against post-herpetic neuralgia, he said.

The newer vaccine is a two-dose vaccine called Shringrix, which can be purchased in the US and in Canada. To the best of my knowledge, it is not available in Taiwan. If any of you locate it, please let us know!

Source: One in three Taiwanese are likely to develop shingles; vaccination urged - Taipei Times

Guy

1 Like

I should add that the Shringrix side effects can be less than fun-and-games. After the first shot received in Canada, I felt fine. No problem! I thought.

Not so fast! About twelve hours later, I started to get this strange feeling, almost like a sudden blood sugar drop. This was followed by chills and shakes and an uneven body temperature which lasted on-and-off for about 48 hours. The second shot, my brother assured me, is worse. My parents, by contrast, got the two shots and told me they didn’t feel a thing.

Guy

1 Like