Shipping a road bike within Taiwan (Taipei <-> Taichung)

There’s an older topic on this, but I decided to make a new one since that one is from a decade ago - feel free to merge them together if it makes sense.

Does anyone have experience shipping a bike from Taipei to Taichung?

I’m trying to gauge if it would be a pain to do this occasionally. I usually end up in Taichung a few times a year for long weekends / holidays visiting in-laws and it would be nice to try some of the routes in the area.

I know I can easily do this via a bus or a TRA train, but it’s kind of a no-go for me since I’m traveling with a baby, would be waaay too much to handle.

bike

No excuses.

2 Likes

If your driving, a roof top bike rack maybe cost effective if as your said it will be a few times. There are some decent deals for used ones,

1 Like

Without having to box the bike, you could consider talking to scooter shops and see if they are willing to ship the bike for you as if it was a scooter.

Aside from that, I would consider n+1.

2 Likes

+1 on this

By that i mean n+1+1.

Custom build gravel bike, with slick road tyres and Di2.

Go to your local Sanyang or other big-brand scooter repair shop.
I’ve shipped bicycles intra-Taiwan before through them.
They’ll ask you for destination address and then look up nearest service shop around that address for you. Rather cheap.

3 Likes

Hey all,

Many thanks for the follow up - it sounds like a scooter shop or scooter moving company is definitely the best way to go as mentioned above.

Next time I’m down that way for a while I might give it a shot - will follow up on how it works out.

n+1 is also tempting, but it’s quite a slippery slope haha