Shipping container to convert into a temporary house on farmland - sellers & prices?

We are looking to buy an old shipping container to convert into a temporary house on farmland.
Who sells these and what are estimates for buying and transporting containers?

Also what sizes are available? And any other suggestions or experiences would be welcome.

Can’t help at all with the Taiwan side (other than to say that with 2 huge ports on the island, finding one shouldn’t be a problem), but was reading this more general link yesterday. Which may be of interest.
http://www.structure1.com/html/shipping-containers.htm

You could also look into one of those cheap metal houses (tie pi wu) that one sees all over the mountains.

They are available. My in-laws just purchased a couple to store equipment in. The company they purchased from is based in Taichung and they will customize to your needs, windows and doors, insulation, woodfloor, etc… I will get the number later today as well as prices based on what they requested. The ones they purchased are much better insulated than any house I have ever lived in while in Taiwan.

I am interested too

The prices for the used containers alone were NT70-80K, guaranteed not to leak. Any upgrades are additional. I will post the number soon, I left it at the office.

What’s the ping-age like on the inside?

NT 39,000 in YunLin County: 0939-214824 Mr. Chang
goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21301274508856

NT 70,000 in HsinPei City: 02-24970345 Mr. Wu, win.s0345@msa.hinet.net
goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21103218501239

well the 39k one looks crap…but the 70k one is quite nice…get two and remove the walls and you have double space.

Better buy second hand reefer … they are aluminium outside, stainless inside, insulated … have a refrigeration unit, diesel and electric … buy them from abroad, try to get it leased by a company in need of shipping frozen/refrigerated goods to Taiwan to make some money back …

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

This is what can be done with a container in Taiwan tw.house.yahoo.com/news/20%E5%9D … 13929.html

A fully functional second hand 40’ reefer will set you back about €7,000.00 to be shipped from Rotterdam.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

What is the legal status of living in a converted shipping container?
I recall about 7 years ago that victims of the 921 earthquake were being evicted from their containers as it was illegal housing.

I have been looking for a cheap and small house along or near the NE coast, and have not had much luck. I wonder if I should focus on finding a small plot of land and look at container housing.

apart from a joint what is a reefer?

[quote=“John”]What is the legal status of living in a converted shipping container?
I recall about 7 years ago that victims of the 921 earthquake were being evicted from their containers as it was illegal housing.

I have been looking for a cheap and small house along or near the NE coast, and have not had much luck. I wonder if I should focus on finding a small plot of land and look at container housing.[/quote]

I agree legal status is very important because you will want to investigate insurance options. A mudslide or earthquake could decimate your crate-house, potentially leaving you out a lot of cash if you invested heavily in it.

Reefer is a refrigerated container

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk

legal status depends on your land and time there. You are making a farm equipment storage shed, not a house…

I am glad to see the links mentioned above still work

http://www.structure1.com/
http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21103218501239

When riding bicycle near Dajia, I found one factory
建成貨櫃屋 / 43643台中市清水區中華北路 / 04 2622 9393
They sell new, old, and converted containers
Don’t know the prices yet

The law about farmland is… (as far as I know)
if your land is bigger than 756 pings, you can build a tool shed as big as 13 pings.

http://www.quotemycargo.com/pages/container-&-dimensions
A 20ft container is 5.898 x 2.290 = 13.50 m2 = 4 pings
A 40ft container is 12.031 x 2.250 = m2 = 27.06 m2 = 8 pings

You can fit 2 containers (one 40ft and one 20 ft)

I was told, first build a tool shed, pass the inspection…
and then… do what you want to do there!

It was so that after two years of having a small ‘cottage’ of about 30 sq m, you could build a permanent place no large that 10% of the property size, if the property was over 700 something ping, roughly 2000 sq m. So they let you build about 70 ping, 200 sq m.