Shirt rental w/ laundry with pickup & delivery?

I was talking to my Ma the other day and something came up that reminded me of this.
I’m not looking for this, per se, I’m just wondering if people still do it, it’s one of those super-cool Old School things.
For a while, when I was just little, my old man worked as a clerk at City Hall.
This being the early 60’s, there wasn’t much wiggle room in acceptable office attire, so he was pretty much confined to long sleeved white dress shirts every day of the week.
And I remember that he had a Shirt Service.
That once a week, a guy in a panel truck would come by and grab this ditty bag in which Pa put his shirts after wearing them, and drop off 5 or 6 (one assumes) freshly laundered and pressed white shirts, folded in that cool shirt-fold way, with a paper band around each.
I remember looking in his dresser drawer and seeing all these pristine white shirts, stacked up and ready, I can still smell the starched cotton.
It can’t have been expensive, we didn’t have a pot to piss in, but boy was it cool.

Do they still do this??

[quote=“the chief”]I was talking to my Ma the other day and something came up that reminded me of this.
I’m not looking for this, per se, I’m just wondering if people still do it, it’s one of those super-cool Old School things.
For a while, when I was just little, my old man worked as a clerk at City Hall.
This being the early 60’s, there wasn’t much wiggle room in acceptable office attire, so he was pretty much confined to long sleeved white dress shirts every day of the week.
And I remember that he had a Shirt Service.
That once a week, a guy in a panel truck would come by and grab this ditty bag in which Pa put his shirts after wearing them, and drop off 5 or 6 (one assumes) freshly laundered and pressed white shirts, folded in that cool shirt-fold way, with a paper band around each.
I remember looking in his dresser drawer and seeing all these pristine white shirts, stacked up and ready, I can still smell the starched cotton.
It can’t have been expensive, we didn’t have a pot to piss in, but boy was it cool.

Do they still do this??[/quote]

Why would they? You can buy new one’s at Wal-Mart for the same price. Jezzzzh. :laughing:

Its simply a laundrette with a delivery service.
You could set that up with a local one surely.

[quote=“sulavaca”]Its simply a laundrette with a delivery service.
You could set that up with a local one surely.[/quote]

Sorry, no, I guess I wasn’t clear, they weren’t his shirts, the company provided the shirts as well as the service, that was part of what was cool about it.

You could check on a diaper service. It’s similar.

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“sulavaca”]Its simply a laundrette with a delivery service.

Sorry, no, I guess I wasn’t clear, they weren’t his shirts, the company provided the shirts as well as the service, that was part of what was cool about it.[/quote]

So did he have to pay for the shirts, but just didn’t have to deal with the laundry aspect?

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“the chief”][quote=“sulavaca”]Its simply a laundrette with a delivery service.

Sorry, no, I guess I wasn’t clear, they weren’t his shirts, the company provided the shirts as well as the service, that was part of what was cool about it.[/quote]

So did he have to pay for the shirts, but just didn’t have to deal with the laundry aspect?[/quote]

It was like the diaper service, I guess, he just paid like a monthly rate, and they supplied him with however many clean pressed shirts every week.
So he/Ma didn’t have to deal with the laundry or, especially, ironing, which would have been the REAL benefit, Ma worked full time too, so this helped her somewhat.
But you also never had to worry about buying new shirts or anything.

Excellent. Rent the shirts and the laundry sevice. There’s got to be a terriffic business idea in that–I’ve never heard of it before. Something to bring back, for sure. It could be part of concierge service for business travelers, or offered to loyal frequent fliers–cut down on luggage weight and you never need to worry about having a fresh suit. Pretty cool. Or for an everyday office worker, no need to invest in a professional wardrobe of your own. I like it.

Places like Cintas in the US. They rent clothes (uniforms) and do the laundry for you.

The Chief -
Yes they do.
Uniform companies have different levels of quality for their shirts. This ranges up to an excellent quality white for office wear.

Also, most laundry/dry cleaning bidnesses will do a pick-up and delivery on a weekly basis for 5 or more shirts/pants etc. to your office. I would imagine this is offered on Taiwan. It is in most countries in larger cities.

I’ve not used “company shirts” but do know people that have. It can be very convenient to have a clean pressed shirt hanging/in a box in your office when you need one.

My bidness attire preference:
Med starch, folded, boxed…and please…be careful with the buttons.

This is a good idea, I like it. There’s a business somewhere in there…

What I also like about it was that people didn’t buy and throw out stuff as much back then.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]The Chief -
Yes they do.
Uniform companies have different levels of quality for their shirts. This ranges up to an excellent quality white for office wear.

Also, most laundry/dry cleaning bidnesses will do a pick-up and delivery on a weekly basis for 5 or more shirts/pants etc. to your office. I would imagine this is offered on Taiwan. It is in most countries in larger cities.

I’ve not used “company shirts” but do know people that have. It can be very convenient to have a clean pressed shirt hanging/in a box in your office when you need one.

My bidness attire preference:
Med starch, folded, boxed…and please…be careful with the buttons.[/quote]

I just remembered in “Working Girl” where Harrison Ford is pulling an all-nighter putting that merger deal together, and, while talking on the phone, peels off his shirt and pulls a fresh one from his desk drawer and rips the paper band off…how cool is that.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]This is a good idea, I like it. There’s a business somewhere in there…

What I also like about it was that people didn’t buy and throw out stuff as much back then.[/quote]

Well, and really, them old classic 100% cotton shirts were a BITCH to press, way more trouble than even pure cotton is now.

Couldn’t pull it off in TW though,

1. As Nama said, new white shirts are cheap as chips
    B. Dry cleaning (incl pressing) is even cheaper here
    iii. What would all these guy’s Moms do with their days?

And you wouldn’t be able to get them in your size.

Sure they got this kind of service in Taiwan. And, plenty of them.
Just Google:
洗衣服務
Add 制服 for uniforms.

HA!
This was the company, looks like they still do it.

ETA:

[quote=“LPeterC”]Sure they got this kind of service in Taiwan. And, plenty of them.
Just Google:
洗衣服務
Add 制服 for uniforms.[/quote]

Well I’ll be go to hell.
Well spotted. :thumbsup:

WHOA! SMACK! Right in the gonads! :laughing:

WHOA! SMACK! Right in the gonads! :laughing:[/quote]
I’m just saying that the big diapers are hard to get.

WHOA! SMACK! Right in the gonads! :laughing:[/quote]
I’m just saying that the big diapers are hard to get.[/quote]

Depends…

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: