Shocking Taiwanese T-shirts

[quote=“cranky laowai”][quote=“Taiwan_Student”]Don’t believe that one bit. It’s easy to look up a word… or trust someone who says that the word you want to use is harmless (malicious information).

The writers of “Sweet Summer Milk” printed across a chick’s breast or "Do you want to F*ck? " know what they are writing.

Who would use a random Chinese word on an American printed T-shirt.[/quote]
Lots of people. Exhibit no. 1: the latest entry at Hanzi Smatter.

[/quote]

Cool! More please… But the designer meant well. It was a mistake, a stupid mistake but a mistake. You should always translate back to the original language when fooling around with language.

[quote=“bumclouds”]Yesterday I noticed a teenage girl and her little brother wearing a t-shirt with the weed symbol on it and the words “Ganja Smoking Area”.

It was something like this:

:roflmao:

Poor kids.[/quote]

That could a legitimate T-shirt to be bought by pot heads. What you need is some Chinese speaking improve guys dressed like Cheech and Chong and extolling the virtues the weed. That would make a good Candid camera and teach them kids a thing or two.
I’ve seen obscure community college T-shirts and some police academy shirts here too- real ones, not the movies. I guess they like to rip off contract jobs too.

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]Why buy T-shirts if you don’t read them.[/quote]Ummm, because you buy T-shirts to wear?

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]
Who would use a random Chinese word on an American printed T-shirt.[/quote]

People get random characters as tattoos so a T-shirt is child’s play in comparison.

Umm… you only buy T-shirts that have messages you support or at least, if you are desperate, messages that you would not object to.

And in these forums… these poor kids who get tatoos did not start getting random characters. They though they were getting a message. I hope.

Umm… you only buy T-shirts that have messages you support or at least, if you are desperate, messages that you would not object to.[/quote]I think this thread shows very clearly that you are wrong. Wouldn’t the world be a lovely place if people made informed and educated decisions. Unfortunately they don’t.

Took pics of an old diheveled granny lady in bag woman clothes sleeping on the MRT holding a shopping bag that was inscribed “BECAUSE I AM WORTH IT”. An irresistable pic moment.

Wealthy looking Chinese woman in her late forties in the foyer of the Grand Hyatt Hotel in HK last week in a lurid blue T-shirt with the words - I Love BUM Love! Wish I had the chance to snap a pic of that.

HG

Young average 20 something guy had this written on his T-shirt, in English:

Sorry, I am Taipei-ese

Scratch, scratch, scrath my head. Puzzling. :ponder:

Actually, that’s quite funny if you think of the Taiwaner stink of a few years ago.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5784

HG

Not only do Westerners WEAR Chinese letters without knowing what they say, they get them tattooed on them.

Also, 140 US for three Chinese characters? I think he got ripped off even if it had said the right thing.

EDIT: Just read you guys already mentioned the Tattoos, but I’ll leave this up for the lulz anyway.

I’ve seen this on a T-shirt in Tainan two or three times.

Work Hard
Like You
Blow Me
Baby!

Anyone else seen them about?

And one of the adult students at my school came in one day with this:

Sex

Which way to the sex?

And a very nice, polite and conservative girl with:

Boys ain’t nuthin’ but bitches and hoes!

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Actually, that’s quite funny if you think of the Taiwaner stink of a few years ago.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5784

HG[/quote]

I guess the people of Portugal descent must be pissed as well. :ponder: :ponder: :ponder:

[quote=“bismarck”]I’ve seen this on a T-shirt in Tainan two or three times.

Work Hard
Like You
Blow Me
Baby!

Anyone else seen them about?[/quote]
Just once in Taipei.

[quote=“bismarck”]I’ve seen this on a T-shirt in Tainan two or three times.

Work Hard
Like You
Blow Me
Baby!

I saw that one, recently.

[quote=“Tigerman”][quote=“bismarck”]I’ve seen this on a T-shirt in Tainan two or three times.

Work Hard
Like You
Blow Me
Baby!

I saw that one, recently.[/quote]

Saw it for the first time today, during a workshop - on a student who calls himself Diva. I think he knows what it means.

Does he also know what ‘diva’ means?

Man, it seems like a growing fad. I’m feeling like getting one myself, now!!!

Umm… you only buy T-shirts that have messages you support or at least, if you are desperate, messages that you would not object to.[/quote]
And as further evidence to my point check out this jewel from another thread: [quote=“fenlander”]Even the Thai schoolgirls are getting in on the Hitler theme. It seems no one told them lol
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3842744/A-Nazi-day-at-Thai-school.html[/quote]

[quote=“cranky laowai”]An innocent-looking woman in her early 20s wearing a black T-shirt that read “Fuck and Fashion”.

This was set in a blackletter typeface, so maybe few Taiwanese would recognize the text as anything legible in English.[/quote]

what about this one: “Would Fuck for Coke”

saw the display at a woman’s clothing store in Shimending once, wonder if any woman every bought it

Cute college girl:
CALL
ME
LOVE
ME

I think she’s sending a message. :thumbsup: