Shoot me or give me advice

I have a reoccurring allergy on my stomach that causes the worst rast on earth and is amazingly painful. This was so bad it was misdiagnosed as shingles for almost a year before they said “You, you are allergic to sweat (contact dermatitis… very bad case)” and gave me steroids. Steroids worked, no problems.

Now I have a fungus that I am finally getting under control. Steroids and fungus DON’T MIX. So I am off the steroids while trying to get rid of the nasty fungus. And, wow what a shocker, my rash returned.

I need any advice or suggestions on how to keep the contact dermatitis under control without the steroids. Any. Hell if you tell me that killing a chicken under a full moon whilst dancing naked in a fire ant bed and throwing stones at wasps nests on broadcast television will help (and make me believe it), I will do it.
HELP…

I have no idea what I’m talking about but here it comes anyway:
Maybe a shirt that would absorb sweat quickly, so that it wouldn’t irritate the skin? Or something underneath the shirt, wrapped around the stomach? I suppose woolen would be good for absorbing sweat but it would also be quite extreme when it’s 35 degrees outside. Fake pashmina maybe?

And try out the chicken and the full moon thing as well - I’ve heard good things about that :slight_smile:

i think this came up somewhere, but i highly recommend buying dri-fit clothing if you have problems with sweating.

some kinds seems to work better than others though. most major brands stock some kind of this clothing. might be useful till you can go back to 'roids …

Seek out a naturopathic doctor. They should be able to give you something non-harmful that will treat it.

I have no idea if this will help or not, but hey worth checking out.
I use a crystal deoderant stick which works absolute wonders, and I do not have to use regular deoderant which irritates my skin as a result. Well, if you meet me at a bar sometime, let me know if the ‘working’ part is all in my head :slight_smile:

Anyway, the crystal stick claims to prevent the growth of bacteria that causes the earthy aroma we’ve all come to know and love in our one or two hippy buddies. Bacteria is also the cause of most skin irritations, so 1 and 1 equaling 2 as it does, I’d suggest trying the crystal deoderant where ever you are having the rash to see if it helps. I’ve seen them recently when I was in a GNC health food store in Taimall (Nankan). I was pretty happy because mine was getting kind of old!

Another thing that has worked wonders on any rashes I’ve developed in the past is tea tree oil mixed with water.

Best,

Have you had tests done to determine the cause of the allergy? If it’s happening in one isolated area, I’d look into the possibility of your skin reacting to certain fibres. It’s not uncommon to have skin sensitive to synthetic fibres.

Do you wear synthetic tops? If so, and you’re sensitive to them, combined with sweating, that could cause a really nasty flare-up.

Try sticking to pure cotton, use perfume-free, hypo-allergenic detergents, and see if that helps at all.

Go to a hiking shop and buy your clothes there. The fibers used will get rid of any sweat before you can say: “Rash”.

Also, a good advice is to sleep in a heavily airconditioned room. Cool and dry, that will cure most heat-related rashes.

Also, you might consider a trip up in the mountains, the tested and true anti-humid heat cure used by the British in the colonial days in asia. Good places to go si Hehuanshan, Alishan, and other Taiwanese high-altitude resorts.

Perhaps, whenever you have the chance, you might want to dress in as little as possible, thus avoiding irritating the skin, IE run around naked at home.

True, except not a good idea if the person has sensitivities to synthetic materials. They work great for most of us, but some people’s skin is just too sensitive. Not sure if this is the case with OP, but something worth looking into.

[quote=“Gary Saville”]I have no idea if this will help or not, but hey worth checking out.
I use a crystal deoderant stick which works absolute wonders, and I do not have to use regular deoderant which irritates my skin as a result. Well, if you meet me at a bar sometime, let me know if the ‘working’ part is all in my head :slight_smile:

Anyway, the crystal stick claims to prevent the growth of bacteria that causes the earthy aroma we’ve all come to know and love in our one or two hippy buddies. Bacteria is also the cause of most skin irritations, so 1 and 1 equaling 2 as it does, I’d suggest trying the crystal deoderant where ever you are having the rash to see if it helps. I’ve seen them recently when I was in a GNC health food store in Taimall (Nankan). I was pretty happy because mine was getting kind of old!

Another thing that has worked wonders on any rashes I’ve developed in the past is tea tree oil mixed with water.

Best,[/quote]

This “crystal” stick is probably “tawas”, stuff they use in the Philippines for ages. I think it’s called alum or something.

And to prevent a rash in Taiwan, don’t shower to often and try to reduce the use of soap a little. Soap kills the good bugs too.

I get a rash on my arms when I shower twice a day and use soap each time. Especially in summer. After showering I need to dust with kiddies powder, to dry the skin.

I had many test run. The only reason it happens in oone spot is that this spot is sensitive due to scarring.
I went with a chinese grandmother’s advice and have been keeping loads of baby powder on it and wiping it down with aloe a couple times a day. Almost completely cleared up and without the liver damage that the steroids cause!!! I think I may stick to this even aftter the foot fungi clears up!!!

[quote=“SuchAFob”]I had many test run. The only reason it happens in oone spot is that this spot is sensitive due to scarring.
I went with a Chinese grandmother’s advice and have been keeping loads of baby powder on it and wiping it down with aloe a couple times a day. Almost completely cleared up and without the liver damage that the steroids cause!!! I think I may stick to this even aftter the foot fungi clears up!!![/quote]

How are you taking the steroids? My wife is allergic to her own sweat too and suffers all summer. She often uses creams from the doctor. I never thought to check them.

I was on sterroids, but the talcum powder and aloe is working VERY WELL… check her shit. Some of those creams do horrible things to the liver.

Sorry to be dense, but, the steroids you were taking were in the cream?

And thanks for the heads up on powder and aloe. Any particular aloe cream you use, or pure aloe? And where can I get it?

I was on steroid creams. Yes. My friend’s granma gave me an aloe plant. I don’t know where to buy them.

Hi SuchAFob,
There is a new science called glycobiology that you may benefit from. A technology called glyconutrients has been developed in the last 15 years. It works on the basis of nourishing the body at the cellular level. For this reason, glyconutrients have had a beneficial effect on a variety of conditions and illnesses, as you will see from these websites:
For an overview of how this works, visit www.glycoscience.org.
We are in Taiwan from Canada teaching people about these products. For more information, e-mail cenkner@gmail.com, or phone 09-1709-4444. We will be at the Shangri-la Far Eastern Hotel until June 20.

Kind regards,

Michael Cenkner and Patrick Spearing