Shooting at a Taiwanese church group in Orange County, California, USA (Hate Crime)

Very sad news, more so for the Taiwanese people there in USA

[California church shooting: 1 dead, 5 injured in Orange County (foxla.com)
LAGUNA CHURCH SHOOTING: Orange County Sheriff says roughly 40 people were inside church during shooting. Large portion of attendees were Taiwanese.

3 Likes

The suspect in the shooting, an Asian man in his 60s, was in custody and deputies recovered two handguns at the scene, Undersheriff Jeff Hallock said. A motive for the shooting wasn’t immediately known but investigators don’t believe the gunman lives in the community, he said.

1 Like

In a sane world this would spur some kind of action towards gun control and more of our elected leaders would speak out against this kind of violence. It’s heartbreaking to see this every day.

One American teacher I know said out of a class of 20 kids, 7 of them have had a friend or relative killed by guns. This violence is a daily thing now.

6 Likes

California has really strict gun laws though…

just an anecdote… When I landed in Los Angeles back in 2014 I went to a church with a friend of the house I was staying at (only for a week), one of the church goer was showing a Walther PPK with their friend. I told him to leave it in his car. Pretty sure that’s not exactly legal in CA…

1 Like

Maybe it was a PRC nationalist targeting Taiwanese people. Scary.

4 Likes

Mostly elderly Taiwanese. And they fought back. Amahs and agongs are really something to behold.

Of course it was several guns not a semiautomatic but still, kudos.

“That group of churchgoers displayed what we believe is exceptional heroism and bravery,” Undersheriff Jeff Hallock said

2 Likes

Too many idiots in America that want to hold the country back because they still think it’s the 1800’s and guns are a crucial part of safety :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Sort of, but not really. For a legal purchaser, you gotta wait 10 days, there’s a more limited selection in terms of specific weapons from dealers, capacity limits, and silly feature lists, but you can get pretty much whatever class of non NFA weapon you want.

1 Like

A 60 year-old Taiwanese man from Las Vegas shooting a bunch of old people in a church in Laguna Woods? That’s just such an odd event… Used to goto Laguna Beach all the time…

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: From shooting

At 60 years old, some of those early immigrants would have very conflicted self-identities.

All the American sources I read just says suspect is Asian American, but the Taiwanese news all flat out says he is also Taiwanese American.

1 Like

Well I would not trust Taiwanese news.

2 Likes

南加州教會槍擊案 死者英勇撲向兇嫌遭射殺!6死傷和槍手皆台灣人 | 蘋果新聞網 | 蘋果日報 (appledaily.com)

Last rumor I heard is that it was a non-asian shooter. Gotta wait for reliable info I guess

The police said it’s an Asian American, so I doubt that could change.

1 Like

Not Mandarin?

I’m trying to catch up on story.

Possibly probably some local connection with church or someone in church.

I read it on facebook that the sermons there are all done in Taiwanese, not Mandarin.

1 Like

other example of Taiwanese language services
台語主日禮拜: 星期日

Im betting it was a disgruntled relative of the victim(s), possibly a very unhappy son? Money and sour grapes with decades of resentment built up probably involved.

1 Like