Shopping

I hate shopping, but there comes a time in a man’s life when you have to grit your teeth, gird your loins, bite the bullet, and generally resign yourself to your fate. Either that or start going out without underwear. In bare feet. With the bottoms of your trousers all frayed.

So what should I do? Go now, while Taipei is in the grip of a feeding frenzy? Is it cheaper during the holiday period?

Or should I wait a week or two? Does it get cheaper after everyone has blown their hongbaos?

Is there anywhere I specifically should go or avoid in order to have the most painless experience possible? Shopping is a very stressful activity for me, and having to traipse from store to store is not an attractive proposition. Night markets give me the screaming heebie jeebies, and I believe they’re full of low-quality crap. I’d rather buy decent stuff that’s going to last than have to go shopping again in anything less than two years.

I need a complete new everything, and am also handicapped (retarded?) by having absolutely no style or taste. Clothes don’t really matter to me, especially if I could be spending the money on a nice drill or something else useful, but tend to make an impression on others so it’s important to get it right.

Help!!

Man needs reassurance and encouragement. Maybe I should just send someone else?

Shopping makes me homicidal. Muji is your friend. One-stop, everything matches.

Who is Muji?

(I knew you’d be the first to reply. Get a life, woman!)

Sod off; at least I can buy my own clothes. I’ve been working since 5 am. :raspberry:

Muji is Japanese Ikea. I love Muji. Their stuff is simplistic and useful.
What are you shopping for?

Shoes
socks
underwear
trousers
shirts
a jacket?
hair ties
a complete kitchen and bathroom and miscellaneous furniture
a myriad of other things I probably don’t realise I need

sj

almondbiscuit wrote [quote]muji is ok but you might feel like you’re wearing a uniform after a while. [/quote]
That’s OK, he likes uniforms. Oh, wait on, just uniforms on womenfolk. Mmm, you could have a point.

Tunghua nightmarket has lots of stores, close to the furniture(wenchang) street too.

We should go shopping with him and give tmwc a makeover! :smiley:

With scissors? :smiling_imp:

That would be funny. How you going to type all those witty comments after you cut your own fingers off? It’s a well-known fact that girls who smell of puppy-pee can’t do complex tasks requiring manual dexterity. You’re ambi-sinister.

Lupillus, I might take you up on that. I bet you give up in exasperation first.

[quote=“tmwc”]That would be funny. How you going to type all those witty comments after you cut your own fingers off? It’s a well-known fact that girls who smell of puppy-pee can’t do complex tasks requiring manual dexterity. You’re ambi-sinister.

Lupillus, I might take you up on that. I bet you give up in exasperation first.[/quote]

I combine the dexterity of a surgeon with the reflexes of a Top Gun pilot. And I’ve had a shower. With soap. Although I trod on a beggar outside the temple, not half an hour ago, only half deliberately.

Men are terrible to shop for clothes with. They’re so vain.

[quote=“tmwc”]

Shoes
socks
underwear
trousers
shirts
a jacket?
hair ties
a complete kitchen and bathroom and miscellaneous furniture
a myriad of other things I probably don’t realise I need[/quote]

Ok… Let’s explore the ONLINE world of shopping.

Shirts, for you I recommend… hawaiianshirtsonline.com/

Socks and pants can ONLY be bought at Marks and Spencers. Honkers may deliver… www2.marksandspencer.com/thecomp … ?country=7 They have Marks and Sparks in Japan too, though not all of us are free to come and go in Nippon.

Trousers… Hmm, you are the outdoorsy type, so a nice tan pair of Action Slacks are in order. Levi do a pair called ‘Heather Charcoal; Action Slacks.’ Heather Charcoal sounds like a gutsy kind of a girl.

Jacket… The good folks at BTCV have a lovely Donkey Jacket you might like, shop.btcv.org.uk/shop/level3/41/stock/414

Hair bands… from the good people at MANBANDS… manbands.com/

Kitchen stuff… alacook.co.uk/cat–Cooks-Apr … ns_01.html

And for your personal pleasure… specialneedstoys.com/

Now you can stay home.

Thanks Tom.

If I knew my home address all would be so much easier. But I don’t, so how are they going to deliver this stuff?

Thanks Tom.

If I knew my home address all would be so much easier. But I don’t, so how are they going to deliver this stuff?[/quote]

Look at the label on the ‘Forty, Forgetful and Filthy’ magazine that you have delivered twice monthly. Your address will be on there.

Go to Hong Kong. I have given up on buying clothes here.

Muji clothes might be too small for Western men. I can barely wear their largest sized jackets and I am only 5ft 7.

[quote=“tmwc”]
Lupillus, I might take you up on that. I bet you give up in exasperation first.[/quote]

Aww. But shopping for other people is fun!

Up early for church, hon?

Wasn’t that a line from Pulp Fiction? “Get the bint.”