Shops with no receipts, is it legal?

I went to a bakery shop today. It had a lot of things for sale.

When I asked for the receipt, the lady at the counter said - “We don’t have receipts.”

I can understand this for small road-side vendors, but not from a proper looking shop.

Is it legal to not give receipts? If it’s illegal, is there anywhere we can complain?

Some places do have a special allowance not to give receipts. It is usually pasted on teh walls somehere.

1 Like

I can’t remember the precise details, but there’s a sort of opt-out clause for shops with a modest turnover. IIRC, if you’re selling less than a certain amount (presumably they trust you to report it accurately) you can choose to use the unified receipt system, or not.

I get the feeling most places choose to use it regardless, I guess because it makes accounting easier.

Less then 200,000 NT$/month in sales, but you can’t deduct VAT from you purchases, and you need to pay a fixed VAT/tax rate.

2 Likes

5%. If you push them they often say vdry friendly you will be charged anx extra 5%.

Love taiwan for this.

IMG_Winner10373_1

If you see this sign, the store will not give receipts. If you don’t see it, and they don’t give a receipt, then you could report them.

3 Likes