Short term living in Taiwan

Hi guys, I will visit Taiwan this November for a language program exchange. I was provided a scholarship for my living expense in Taiwan. Since then, I have been looking for a place to stay for 3 months near Mandarin Training Centre National Taiwan Normal University that has a reasonable price considering I need to estimate other necessities such as food, insurance, data, and subway/transport. Do you have suggestions/advice for me on where to start looking ? Thanks!

Food, internet and transport are all reasonably priced. Internet/data/voice/phone plans go from 500 to 1200 NTD average, depending on your choice of plans, with no limit and/ or with/without a new phone. Transport is fixed with a 1280 NTD a month card, ride all the buses/MRT/YouBike system. Food, depends on your taste.

But housing, especially within walking distance of MTC, is ridiculously expensive. Please consider a bit further from the four blocks around the university. Unfortunately, Daan is the college sector, so between the NTNU, NTU and up to the Education university, it is going to be a bit pricey.

Again, don’t rent from abroad. Wait until you get here. Don’t go by yourself, have a witness to your signing and take pictures of everything. Discuss deposit amounts, two months is legal limit.

5 Likes

Which area would you suggest for me to start looking suitably and fit the criteria? Plus NTNU gives us the link to a few websites to look for rent and one of them is my room abroad have you heard of it?

What is your budget?

Nope, never heard of it.

Edit
A studio for 47k 30 minutes MRT from NTNU?!?!

1 Like

Below 8000NT$ if possible. I think if the area is a bit far from MTC NTNU as long as it easy to commute should be fine

Below 8000 is reaalllly hard unless you live in a shithole. When I had room mates and lived near Shida, I had one room mate pay about 9000 for a shoebox. This was 3 years ago and I imagine the same room is probably about 11,000 now.

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken, most of Taiwan’s buildings are old, right? I want to know which area is suitable to rent and it doesn’t have to be in the same area as NTNU MTC just near them. Probably like New Taipei City perhaps ?

I think you’ll be able to find places near Guting Station, Taipower Station, or Gongguan station. Both of these are quite close to MTC.

It’s the first time you’ve mentioned your room abroad, so I haven’t heard of it. Where is it? Is it a nice room?

2 Likes

With that budget, you’d be looking at a small bedroom in a shared apartment with a shared bathroom, i.e. a yafang (雅房). The best place to look is 591.com.tw.

If you cannot find a suitable room in the areas that @papertowel mentioned, try looking at Jingmei, Yonghe, or Xindian. The latter two are in New Taipei.

It’s a website called myroomabroad actually. Been looking for the rent through there.

Thank you!

Thanks for mentioning. I’ll look through it.

I don’t know what your experience has been with myroomabroad. But they seem dodgy. There’s talk of lack of communication and slow processing happening there

Blockquote

I don’t know what your experience has been with myroomabroad. But they seem dodgy. There’s talk of lack of communication and slow processing happening there

I’ll keep that in mind because I saw that I can book to visit first instead of payment.

maybe try airbnb like airbnb.com/h/tpexinyi101

Are you willing to rent that room to her for less than NT$8000/month or your post is just a sneaky way to advertise your place?